U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 12:47 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times

Advertisements

I just visited Marseille and loved it. It was supposed to be a day trip only but I ended up returning for another day because I felt not having seeing enough of it. The city has so much to offer and at least in the good areas I don't feel unsafe at all.

Most people who visit south France skip Marseille and I am sorry for them. It is a truly interesting city to visit. Heck I will put it against Barcelona which I think is hugely overrated. In the North American context I will put it against San Francisco.

I don't know why people put down Marseille that much. It is by far more enjoyable than Madrid or Munich.

Don't tell me about crime. If you can survive in Atlanta or Chicago, Marseille is almost safe haven. It is probably safer than Orlando, statistically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
My family lived for a year in Marseille when I was a child. I do remember that my family visited Chateau D'If a few times as well as Notre Dame De La Garde and of course the Canebiere. We also took day trips around the area as city is a very center location.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:40 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,184,007 times
I have always wanted to visit Marseille. It is an ancient city, established by Greek traders, then became a Roman port.

The Garden of Ruins (? Jardin Des Vestiges?) is an archaeological site where the ruins of the Greek port can be seen. The site is supposed to date back to 600 BC.

Another interesting site, for literary fans, is Chateau d'If, which was the setting for the "Count of Monte Cristo".

Marseille, Carcassonne, and Avignon are all on my list of places to see in the south of France.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:56 PM

8,258 posts, read 11,121,603 times
Yes, according to Anthony Bourdain.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I have always wanted to visit Marseille. It is an ancient city, established by Greek traders, then became a Roman port.

The Garden of Ruins (? Jardin Des Vestiges?) is an archaeological site where the ruins of the Greek port can be seen. The site is supposed to date back to 600 BC.

Another interesting site, for literary fans, is Chateau d'If, which was the setting for the "Count of Monte Cristo".

Marseille, Carcassonne, and Avignon are all on my list of places to see in the south of France.

Aix-En-Provence is another interesting place not far from Marseille.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,082,362 times
I love Marseille we already visiting through if we go to France. I love breathtaking scenes , I think most of people feel it is in the middle of no where. But I do like it.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:04 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I love Marseille we already visiting through if we go to France. I love breathtaking scenes , I think most of people feel it is in the middle of no where. But I do like it.
Marseille is in the middle of no where? What people say that?? Marseille is right next to all the lovely Provence towns, 2 hours from Côte d'Azur and right on the TGV line.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:28 PM

23 posts, read 21,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Marseille is in the middle of no where? What people say that?? Marseille is right next to all the lovely Provence towns, 2 hours from Côte d'Azur and right on the TGV line.
And Newark New Jersey is right next to the nicest parts of New York City. Nearby does not cut it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel