Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:16 PM

62 posts, read 122,023 times

Advertisements

Hey CD, it's me again. I'm graduating high school this year, and as a sort of graduation gift to myself, I want to go on a trip. I live in Miami, so I wanna go anywhere that has cheaper flights from where I live. Anywhere in the Caribbean (minus the Bahamas, where my parents are from and where I've been to more times than I can count) is good and I'll go anywhere nice & cheap in the Southeast region also. I'd prefer to be there for at least 5 days and spend no more than $600 (Not including flight)

Any ideas or places you can suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM

578 posts, read 571,700 times
So you are looking to stick to the warm weather and heat? Personally, i would suggest more someplace up north or the Northwest or even Canada. Do you have a passport? And, what are you expecting about accommodations and food?

Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Would you consider driving instead of flying? Atlanta isn't that far away and has a lot to offer, and it's just a couple of hours or so from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. VERY different from Florida! However, I expect you'd enjoy both or either of these destinations more if you had a friend along. Both areas will be warm enough by the time school is out, though the mountains are pleasantly cool at night and at higher elevations during the daytime.

Charleston, SC might also be fun - beautiful city, good beaches nearby, historic attractions, and great food. Or it might be a little staid for you. Hilton Head or one of the other "developed" beach areas might have more going on that you'd enjoy.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
How about Cuba? It is open now right?

Old 01-17-2016, 11:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
For ideas, try going to:

Cheap Flights - Find Cheap Airline Tickets with Skyscanner

Select Miami as your departure point, some days that work for you and then 'Everwhere' as a destination. For depart May 13, return May 20, (guessing at dates that wouldn't dump you into price increases because of Memorial Day) I see Miami-Montreal flights for $355 rt and the US dollar is pretty strong agains the loonie so your money would go further. Costa Rica ($260) has some reliable ecotourism options and is generally pretty safe, but you'd need to figure out how to get yourself out of San Jose and into some more interesting parts of the country.

Berlin ($543 for Norwegian Air out of Ft. Lauderdale) is a little higher of a plane ticket price, but Germany has a very well established youth backpacking travel culture with many very budget-friendly youth hostels to stay at and you'd meet people from around the world in the hostel common area kitchen and lounge. $600 will get you a decent number of nights in a hostel dorm room and street food/grocery store meals and public transit in Germany comes with pretty reasonable prices. You'd be legal to drink the beer there too.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:10 PM

62 posts, read 122,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
So you are looking to stick to the warm weather and heat? Personally, i would suggest more someplace up north or the Northwest or even Canada. Do you have a passport? And, what are you expecting about accommodations and food?
Yeah I have a passport (Most of my family is in the Bahamas so I need one lol)

I know my budget so I'm not setting the standards too high lol, however I don't want to stay at some drug-infested Budget motel with roaches and prostitutes all over the place, something reasonable. I'll be good on food, I'm sure I can find something good off Groupon and Yelp.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM

684 posts, read 514,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
I don't want to stay at some drug-infested Budget motel with roaches and prostitutes all over the place,.

Oh come on now... Be adventurous and have some fun! YOLO

Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
Yeah I have a passport (Most of my family is in the Bahamas so I need one lol)

I know my budget so I'm not setting the standards too high lol, however I don't want to stay at some drug-infested Budget motel with roaches and prostitutes all over the place, something reasonable. I'll be good on food, I'm sure I can find something good off Groupon and Yelp.
Stay in hostels. Go somewhere like Panama or Peru. You'll have a blast.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I used to stay in the student housing at the various Canadian universities during the summer months when I was in my college years. So many young ladies, many away from home for the first time. It was an absolute blast.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 AM

578 posts, read 571,700 times
It's the hotels that will blow your budget.

First, there is the Hostel option. That would give you lots of options - I would consider someplace like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, or NYC (if you haven't been there before). Maybe Boston if you can find one.

Not going that route you are probably going to be stuck either with a) Mexico/South America (as you would have the dollar in your favor) or b) a tourist destination like Vegas. Obviously Orlando wont be much of a trip. If you really hunt around and are willing to put up with a Days Inn type of place, you might be able to pull off staying near an airport and taking transit into the city. Maybe look at Seattle in that case.

You didn't mention when you would be traveling - that will be a real big factor. And keep in mind exchange rates - Europe will be against you in this, but Canada has a favorable rate. And for flights, definitely consider Ft Lauderdale - they usually have some real good deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel