U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,268,294 times

Advertisements

Hi CD, My family and I are in the process of deciding where to take our next family trip in the month of June. It'll be 13 of us going on our year family trip ranging from ages 8-56 years old. Right now were deciding between 5 destinations.

1.Cruise/Cozumel
2.New York City
3.Washington D.C.
4.Las Vegas
5.Los Angeles

Our main concern is deciding which destination would work best for everybody's budget. Basically which destination in that list would cater for each age group within our family and would be the cheapest out the list. More bang for our buck. Were factoring in things such as (rental house,rental car, groceries, flight prices, food scene, nightlife, children activities,sightseeing,etc.) Los Angeles and Las Vegas are at the bottom of the list because we would have to get a rental car and spend extra money on gas but were not completely ruling it out. D.C. and New York, we could rely on public transportation but hesitant on those cities because some family members don't want to stick out like tourist with 3 small children in a crowded Northeast city. We're from Texas so some of my family members are not use to congested cities and all that walking(not a problem for me). A cruise ship would be the most convenient as far as avoiding rental cars and houses and groceries and etc. but due to my calculations seems to be the most expensive. Especially considering me and my fiance would have to fork over a little bit more just to take a flight to New Orleans or Galveston,TX to get to the ports(we live in Atlanta now but the rest of my family lives in Houston). So I'm kind of stuck here and could use some more insight on these destinations. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
What is your budget?
Wouldn't renting a house and grocery shopping be cheaper than eating out ... why would you avoid that if you're concerned about the budget?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What is your budget?
Wouldn't renting a house and grocery shopping be cheaper than eating out ... why would you avoid that if you're concerned about the budget?
Budget would be around 550-600(that includes flight tickets,rental house and other expenses). Getting groceries and a rental house would be cheaper but while where at our destination for 5 days I would like to go to a restaurant or just a local join that's native to the city every once and a while you know. We usually cook 3 out of the 5 days were on vacation.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:35 AM

15,071 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Since you used the word cheap, take NYC off your list entirely.

Frankly, with a budget of $600 per person for airfare, lodging, food, transportation and fun - I don't see that happening anyplace unless nobody has to buy a plane ticket.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,784 times
My vote would be for Washington DC, most of the activities are free so that frees up some of your budget. In addition there are many groupons available for both activities and local restaurants. You can easily spend a week within the metro line limits but if you wanted to venture further out there are options like zip cars or using a service like turo where you might be able to rent a large suv or passenger van for a day

Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,140,845 times
When we lived in Houston we took a cruise out of Galveston to the western Caribbean.

It's an easy option for you in terms of travelling- just drive down to the coast.

Also on a cruise there are things to do for all ages.

Not sure how that fits in with your budget.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Since you used the word cheap, take NYC off your list entirely.

Frankly, with a budget of $600 per person for airfare, lodging, food, transportation and fun - I don't see that happening anyplace unless nobody has to buy a plane ticket.
My family spends less then that each family trip we've been to thus far. When you take into consideration it'll be around 11-13 adults splitting the cost on transportation,airfare, and lodging(thru airbnb) I don't think I've ever went over $650 yet. That's including buying groceries,nightlife,eating out. But I did lowball it with the 550 price range. Should have said $600-$700.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:49 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,435,948 times
Have any of your group done a cruise before? Might be a consideration. I myself would NEVER do a cruise BUT...if it was a big family group it might be a good option as it would cut down on the # of decisions you'd need to make each day and allow more time to relax and enjoy each others' company. OTOH, it might be claustrophobic.

Vegas can be cheap, but less so these days (airfare good, lodging CAN be either way, food has gone way up). But it's so focused on gambling it's sort of a hit or miss destination for a family.

I'd say DC or Los Angeles.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:55 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,115,794 times
Vegas will be horribly hot.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Have any of your group done a cruise before? Might be a consideration. I myself would NEVER do a cruise BUT...if it was a big family group it might be a good option as it would cut down on the # of decisions you'd need to make each day and allow more time to relax and enjoy each others' company. OTOH, it might be claustrophobic.

Vegas can be cheap, but less so these days (airfare good, lodging CAN be either way, food has gone way up). But it's so focused on gambling it's sort of a hit or miss destination for a family.

I'd say DC or Los Angeles.
5 members of my family have been on a cruise before, which is one of the main reasons a cruise was suggested because they wanted the whole family to experience the fun. I'm not against a cruise myself but i'm not overly thrill about it either. If everyone once to go of course I'll go but I need to have other options that make sense budget wise and the overall experience that will please everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or