U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:17 AM

724 posts, read 618,977 times

Advertisements

As someone who always says I OPT OUT, this really bothers me that I cannot, anymore, in small way protest what I see as a violation of my civil liberties. Anyone else? http://www.slashgear.com/now-the-tsa...nner-22419599/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM

1,744 posts, read 3,203,662 times
I prefer going through the scanner rather than a pat down. The article indicates that the scanners have been updated so there is not as much of a privacy concern. Itís certainly more efficient.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:56 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,309,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
As someone who always says I OPT OUT, this really bothers me that I cannot, anymore, in small way protest what I see as a violation of my civil liberties. Anyone else? Now the TSA can force you to go through the body-scanner - SlashGear
Just spend the $80 and get TSA precheck (or even better yet, Global Entry).

Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,072,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Just spend the $80 and get TSA precheck (or even better yet, Global Entry).
Neither of those programs eliminate the requirement for the body scan (which is fine with me, btw. The OP is unnecessarily over the top, imho.)

Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 AM

724 posts, read 618,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I prefer going through the scanner rather than a pat down. The article indicates that the scanners have been updated so there is not as much of a privacy concern. Itís certainly more efficient.
I agree there is ZERO privacy concern that a TSA agent at the same airport will see your body, in real time. But these machines can store images in memory, just because they don't output them onto a screen. Are you in software? You'll know what I'm talking about, everything is buggy especially at this level of sophistication.

Those images are stored somewhere in the machine (and hopefully soon deleted). But it's impossible to say. It's a virtual strip search. What about images of children? There are legal issues beyond simply saying "this is for our safety".

Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,072,338 times
Quote:
I agree there is ZERO privacy concern that a TSA agent at the same airport will see your body, in real time. But these machines can store images in memory, just because they don't output them onto a screen. Are you in software? You'll know what I'm talking about, everything is buggy especially at this level of sophistication.

Those images are stored somewhere in the machine (and hopefully soon deleted). But it's impossible to say. It's a virtual strip search. What about images of children? There are legal issues beyond simply saying "this is for our safety".
If it bothers you so much, you have a very simple solution: Don't fly.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,486,392 times
Quote:
As someone who always says I OPT OUT, this really bothers me that I cannot, anymore, in small way protest what I see as a violation of my civil liberties. Anyone else?
It is NOT a, "violation of your civil liberties." The ability to travel by plane is not a right. If you don't like it, don't fly.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:26 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,455,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
It is NOT a, "violation of your civil liberties." The ability to travel by plane is not a right. If you don't like it, don't fly.
This is a very stubborn and ridiculous way of looking at things. You don't have a right to a plethora of things. It doesn't mean that, should you choose to experience any of these things, you should be forced into submitting to absolutely anything.

For health reasons, I don't feel comfortable stepping into a backscatter machine every time I want to fly, so I have always opted out. To me it's not a privacy issue. I don't care about that. I would honestly rather stand naked in front of the entire airport and have another human being probe my rear end than stand in one of those things. 100% not a joke; just let me get the pat down.

The article also doesn't say that they WILL refuse the pat down now, just that they MAY at their discretion. I hope they keep an open mind about this. I'm certainly going to avoid US airport transfers now.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:46 AM

200 posts, read 334,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Neither of those programs eliminate the requirement for the body scan (which is fine with me, btw. The OP is unnecessarily over the top, imho.)
Most of the time, if you go through the Pre-Check lane, they are using the old x-ray machines for that line and NOT the body scanner. But sometimes the x-ray is shut down. Out of maybe 20 experiences since I got PreCheck, maybe 1 required going through the body scanner since the x-ray was shut down at that time..other than that it has always been x-ray for the PreCheck line.

I used to opt out of the nude-o-scope also. The TSA people usually acted pissed...

Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,474,166 times
I could care less whether they scan me or pat me down.....either way, if that's how they have to get their jollies, so be it. I'm glad I could serve their purpose.

I have possibly been known, on one or two occasions, to moan and say "Mmmmmm" when the woman was patting down the insides of my thighs after sending me through the scanner. We both started laughing so hard she could barely finish her job. My husband was appalled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or