U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There is a whole subsection of tourism known as "slum tourism"
More like voyeur tourism, which is extremely in poor taste. It's like taking pictures of Amish people - except 10 times worse.

OP, poor people are not there for you to gawk at, or to feel sorry for, or as public service to western tourists' social awareness. If you want to do something about it, go volunteer at your local homeless shelter or get involved with countless of charity work near your area. I thought charity begins at home? There are different levels of poverty, sure, but for poor people, poverty is poverty. To say one's poverty is better than others is condescending at best, not to mention insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 03:29 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The poverty in America is nowhere near the poverty you see in India, please. And I thought you are from Canada, hardly a developing country.
He's originally from China, I think.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:40 PM

4,535 posts, read 2,316,747 times
i know of someone who looks for missions online and uses that to travel to other continents.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
The poverty found in American cities is like the nicest areas in third world countries. If you think America is poor, you have not seen anything.
Sadly, I have to agree.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:35 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,547,969 times
I'm glad that seeing poverty has made the OP more sensitive to the plight of the poverty-stricken and more inclined to help.

That said, I wasn't aware that India is considered to be in the "third-world." Yes, there is a lot of poverty there. They have a large population and the nation's wealth appears to be unfairly distributed. But I always thought third-world countries are developing nations (such as Malawi, Yemen, Somalia, and other countries mostly in Africa), hardly a situation India is in.

Personally, I feel like I've always had a strong understanding of what real poverty is and always have been inclined to help so, no, I can't say I seek out poor neighborhoods when I travel. As a child my own father was send out to railroad tracks with a bucket to gather-up coal that fell off trains. That's how his family heated their home. He often had nothing to eat but what he called "bread soup," Irish soda bread made by his mother soaked in a bowl of cold coffee.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:14 PM

4,535 posts, read 2,316,747 times
^ i dont consider india to be third-world. they have the capacity to research and fabricate nuclear weapons. i dont know much about india but i assume they have a functional government that is capable of public education, adequate health care/hospitals, vaccinations for tb/cholera/flu/yellow fever/mumps/..., stable economy, potable water, sewers/sanitation, minimal malnutrition/starvation, ...
i think i heard that companies like oppo and blu make 4g smart-fones marketed towards indi-pak/china (they are referred to as developing market).

that being said bangalore is probably one of the biggest slums in the world (a large population with no indoor plumbing/no electricity/...). thats why many people there are desperate to work long hours as fone support technicians for lower wages than here.

iirc, third-world was the term used for post war axis powers. the allies were first-world and those that didnt participate were second-world. places like berlin were cutoff and poverty stricken into ethnic/socio-economic ghettos. in modern times any place that resembles those conditions are allegorically refered to as third-world.

i think the techinical difference in terminology would be that individuals can be poor but nations/societies are impoverished.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-06-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
India is unquestionably third world, if the term means anything.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:05 PM

23 posts, read 21,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
India is unquestionably third world, if the term means anything.
The poverty in India is beyond comprehension

India census shows extent of poverty - CNN.com

Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
The poverty in India is beyond comprehension

India census shows extent of poverty - CNN.com
Why all this focus on India? India is basically where China was about 20 years ago, on the verge of exploding. There is also a burgeoning middle class. You've been to India, what, once? I've been to India about a half dozen times, from Mumbai to Delhi and point in between. I've also been to my share of developing countries - take Cambodia on if you really want to see poor.

Yes India is poor. But, once again, what you are mistaking as "impoverished" is actually a cultural aspect of the country. It's how they live. Livestock in the street? That's Hinduism. Pollution and lack of social services? That's the result of the "anything goes" democratic system. Filth and dirt everywhere? That I can't understand, even in Cambodia and the favelas in Sao Paulo they know how to pick up trash - so once again you are running into a cultural, not a poverty, factor.

So once again - don't go to India to "feel good" about the wealth you have here. That's counter to the purpose of traveling. Go to India to embrace the culture.

Why don't you dwell on the fabulous sights you saw in India instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or