U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
How long were you in Tokyo?
Overnight. I was there just to pick up and start a round-the-world ticket, which was half the price starting in Japan than it would have been in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:12 AM

206 posts, read 170,732 times
I've spent 3-4 nights if I flew about 1/2 way across the country. It is situation where do not want to intrude/put them out so house guests stink after 4 days. Never had enough time to stay longer when I was working in corporate or government, maybe now that I'm self employed but not yet. For long weekend trips of 3 nights, driven 3-4 hours...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:49 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Was the Brussels/Amsterdam trip exhausting? Did you feel like you got to do what you wanted for that particular trip without feeling extremely rushed?

How much total time was spent in the air for that trip?
It was an impromptu trip so we didn't really have many goals for the trip we just wanted to check out those cities so we didn't feel rushed, though I will say that we didn't see everything that they had to offer. I know that I would definitely go back to Amsterdam, not it a big rush to go back to Brussels but would go back if it fit into our schedule.

I wouldn't say that the trip was too exhausting, but my sister and I prefer to spend a couple of days in an area and then move on. We're not the type that will spend a week in a single location, we figure we could always come back another time so anything we missed on one trip can be done on another.

We were in the air for about 9 hours each way, the flight from Baltimore to Iceland was about 6 and from Iceland to Amsterdam was about 3.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 PM

2,247 posts, read 5,975,726 times
Left driving at 6:15 AM on a Thursday CT/NY line,stayed overnight outside of Charlotte that night, got to Florida around 5PM on Friday, flew home late Tuesday night. Was just enough time get away, wish would have stayed another day but the air fare going home was considerably higher (but had a place to crash in FL and free car). A few years ago, I went back to my alma mater got there 4.5 hours drive, got there on a Friday at about 1PM, and left Sunday at about 1PM, won't do that again for such a short trip.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,327,070 times
When I lived in New York, I would fly to Scotland for the weekend to visit my mother and take in a soccer match.

Leave the office at 5.30pm, train to Newark, 7.55pm flight to Glasgow. Arrive around 6.30am on Saturday morning. Taxi to Moms, breakfast and then a few hours sleep. Off to the match in the afternoon and out to the pub with friends in the evening. Sunday, just hang out. Monday morning, 9am flight back to Newark. Work on plane. Arrive Newark around 11.30am, train to office. Work through to 6.30pm and off home for an early night.

Interestingly, there were 5 or 6 'commuters' on those flights.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
When I lived in New York, I would fly to Scotland for the weekend to visit my mother and take in a soccer match.

Leave the office at 5.30pm, train to Newark, 7.55pm flight to Glasgow. Arrive around 6.30am on Saturday morning. Taxi to Moms, breakfast and then a few hours sleep. Off to the match in the afternoon and out to the pub with friends in the evening. Sunday, just hang out. Monday morning, 9am flight back to Newark. Work on plane. Arrive Newark around 11.30am, train to office. Work through to 6.30pm and off home for an early night.

Interestingly, there were 5 or 6 'commuters' on those flights.
Celtic or Rangers?

Old 01-10-2016, 02:57 PM

637 posts, read 644,410 times
From New York area- Amsterdam for a long weekend (4d), Grand Canyon for a 3 d wknd, L.A. for a 3d wknd. If you are a travel junkie, you will take any opportunity you can to travel but the longer the trip the better.

Driving, I have driven 300 miles round trip leaving after wok on Friday and getting back home Sunday night to get to work on Monday a.m.

Definitely do it but if a longer trip is possible, go for the longer trip.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:09 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,379,804 times
Round trip about 1000 miles...including flights back and forth to Montreal from Toronto International Airport ( Pearson) plus drive from Montreal down deep into Eastern Townships for a ski weekend...Yep, I remember it clearly (48 years ago)!! yikes..SNOW++++ Cold+++ Fun +++++++++ Worth it!!..Course, I was so much more younger !! :-)))))))

Old 01-10-2016, 03:54 PM

465 posts, read 430,210 times
NYC to Frankfurt - Left Friday, returned Monday.
NYC to Copenhagen - Left Thursday evening, returned Sunday.
Tangier, Stockholm, Dublin (all separate trips!) - Left Tuesday evening from work, returned Sunday.

These were all for pleasure, not business.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:42 PM

187 posts, read 129,936 times
From Austin to Central Mexico. Austin to Chicago and often drive from Austin to NEw Orleans. I save the long trips for week vacations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or