U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to take the same vacation every year
YES! If I enjoy it, why not 70 67.96%
NO, it shows fear and lack of intellectual interest 23 22.33%
Maybe, if the price was right 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 PM

12,527 posts, read 7,515,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I have an Aunt and Uncle that only go to Disney World, every year, sometimes twice a year. They plan their days to arrive at certain restaurants at the right times in each park, and eat the same exact meals each time. The only variation in their trip is what hotel they stay at, always on Disney property, and whatever Disney World happened to change between their visits. As nice as Disneyworld is, there are other places to go in this country. I break their chops whenever it comes up because it makes no sense to me. I've been to the same place more than once, but I don't become obsessed with it. There's millions of other places I'd like to see, so I don't understand their mindset. But, I guess it's better than sitting home and looking at the four walls. Some people never go anywhere.
I had an ex who goes to Disney with his family every year for vacation. That is the only place he has gone on vacation for 30+ years. That is one (of many reasons) why he is an ex. I could not imagine only going to Disney for vacation and his family would think I was the worst person ever if I even suggested going somewhere else.

It works for them, they love it. They stay at the same place every year, all take pictures with the characters every year, go to the same restaurants... Thats just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM

1,504 posts, read 962,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I am just curious what other people think because it was a conversation piece on Christmas. Half of the relatives thought that was great and the other half thought that fear was stopping him from going to new places and opening his mind to a different type of vacation.
If I were your cousin, I would now have some extra free time at Christmas, too.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM

912 posts, read 646,479 times
I have been vacationing at the same place (no matter which coast I live on) every year my entire life. My parents did as well. My grandparents that came to this country did as well.

There is something to be said for tradition. That doesn't mean we don't vacation elsewhere at other times of the year, but this trip is a given every year, same town, same spot, same bed, same time of year, every single year. It's our home away from home and I have already begun that tradition with my young son. We've looked into buying a summer home there, but that plan got put on pause.

Either way, if he's content, who cares? He's not hurting anyone.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,400,313 times
for the last 15 or so years we have gone to the same ski resort for a week and the same beach resort for a week but our other two weeks we do like to mix it up. I will say though-it's more often than not the ski and beach resorts that we liked and enjoyed more than the random places we have gone.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:35 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,346,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer
If that's what your cousin wants to do then that's the end of it.
Yea we used to goto cape cod every summer for 2 weeks,it was quite fun (Sadly we dont do it anymore)

Old 01-08-2016, 03:11 AM
Xil

118 posts, read 242,746 times
Quote:

I am just curious what other people think because it was a conversation piece on Christmas. Half of the relatives thought that was great and the other half thought that fear was stopping him from going to new places and opening his mind to a different type of vacation.
Why don't you ask him?

Old 01-08-2016, 07:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 12,177,146 times
It's obviously up to the individual but I could never go for it. I don't even understand how people can buy the same car over and over, or have 2 of the same at once.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
If that was my only vacation, same place for 15 years would become boring. Now if this a favorite spot and he gets other vacation to explore I'd be fine with it.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,323,056 times
Quote:
My cousin has two weeks of vacation in his job. He takes it all at once. Two weeks at a resort in Northern Minnesota. The same resort, the same weeks and the same cabin. This for the last 15 years.

Is there something to be said for sticking with the tried and true vacation as long as you like it?
How is this different from somebody who buys a vacation condo/house, except that your cousin has none of the hassles or expenses of owning it? He probably reserves the cabin for the next year before he leaves for home.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:19 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
That's the advantage of NOT buying a vacation house or timeshare; that you CAN explore new places. Most people enjoy this, which is why I think it puzzles the OP (which is okay).

I agree: ask him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or