U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 AM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I haven't been to Prague, but I doubt is has the equivalent of the Sagrada Familia Cathedral, Park Guell, the Picasso Museum, or La Ramblas.
And you'd be wrong. Prague has a marvelous cathedral, tons of both medieval and Art Noveau architecture, a wonderfully twisty-turny old town, plenty of free concerts in its numerous churches, and a great Alphonse Mucha museum. There's a reason it's so popular as a tourist destination! It's a marvelous small city to visit.

I've not been to Barcelona (yet!), but I have been to both Amsterdam and Prague. While I love Prague, I suspect Barcelona would provide more of a contrast to Amsterdam. But you're not going to go wrong with either.

And you'll just have to go back to see whichever city you're forced to skip on this visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,425,236 times
I'm partial to Barcelona because I used to live there and it will always have a piece of my heart. If you're into cutting-edge cuisine, it's among the best places in Europe; the Gaudi influence is amazing and the overall vibe is fairly relaxed with a slower pace.

That said, Prague is also a beautiful, romantic place in its own right. Definitely more of a party town than BCN, if that's your thing.

This isn't a "which is better" question, just which interests you more.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I vote you go to Barcelona. We went there in November and loved it. I haven't been to Prague, but I doubt is has the equivalent of the Sagrada Familia Cathedral, Park Guell, the Picasso Museum, or La Ramblas. There is other Gaudi architecture there to see as well. Plus just walking around the Gothic Quarter was interesting to me.
Sounds like you really need to go to Prague!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,872,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Trying to plan a trip and I was wondering which do you all suggest visiting. Amsterdam is a must as my husband is dying to visit. But I didn't know if we should do Amsterdam and Prague or Amsterdam and Barcelona. I'd like to visit both but obviously can't this time and would like other's experience on which they've preferred.

Thanks!
I've been to all three and here are my $.02:

-Barcelona is way cooler than Prague as a living, breathing city.
-Prague is a prettier city--more picturesque.
-Barcelona has better and more diverse food.
-Barcelona has better nightlife.
-Barcelona has more diverse art and architecture.
-Neither are all that similar to Amsterdam, so you will get a good variety either way.
-You can probably get a more direct int'l flight into/out of Barcelona.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,386,288 times
All these people "voting" who have never been to both Prague and Barcelona..... Why?

Prague has one of the best preserved inner cities in Europe. I've been there on business several times. It's one of my favorite cities to just walk around. If you're into classical music, it's outstanding. Barcelona is a big, bustling city with anything and everything. If you like big, bustling cities, it's a good one. Prague is more like a living museum. It really depends on what you're looking for. Prague will be more like a mini-Amsterdam without the canals so Amsterdam-Barcelona would be a more diverse holiday.

In Amsterdam, if you're even remotely into it, go to the van Gogh museum. It's a superb collection.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,618,821 times
Thanks you all for all the opinions. We are still torn so I guess it we'll figure it out once we start looking to book it and see which one is best priced. Thanks again! I look forward to whichever one I visit. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or