U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times
Reputation: 2026

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you really want to see Istanbul, why not just visit Istanbul and save Budapest for another trip? Budapest won't be going anywhere, and there's plenty to see and do in Turkey to keep you occupied for a week.
Because I want to see both

Actually I think part of it is simply wanting to make the absolute most out of a free trip. Because the majority of the flight costs are covered by my company (US to Copenhagen), I feel a 'push' to try to 'get in as much as I possibly can because who knows how long I'll be with the company or be able to travel 1-2 times a year because of the company.

So I kinda feel like I should do my best to see 2 cities instead of 1. I am feeling like I could split the time between both Budapest and Istanbul easily (but hey, I've never been so if others feel like that's a bad idea I definitely would like to hear why). I was thinking a little less time in Budapest because it probably feels a lot more like Copenhagen than Istanbul does...from what I've seen. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2016, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Canada
9,068 posts, read 8,336,310 times
Reputation: 19425
Have you researched Copenhagen? I'd make the most of the location you're going to before taking off elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 10:17 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Also Istanbul is reasonably safe & secure right now, and it could be different in that regard in a few years.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Reputation: 7694
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
How so?
At this point I'm not sure what the Kurd/Syria endgame is in that part of the world. Istanbul is acceptably safe at this point for even a reasonably cautious traveler, but you never know when some of the stuff going on near the Syrian border (civil unrest, suicide bombings) starts to migrate northward and westward to the more Europe-oriented part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Have you researched Copenhagen? I'd make the most of the location you're going to before taking off elsewhere.
Honestly I have not done any research on Copenhagen; only looked at few pics and Tripadvisor suggestions. I think because I have this list of top places I'd like to see and Denmark isn't on it. Of course you make a good point that I should ensure I fully enjoy what Denmark has to offer while there. Luckily, I think outside of work my colleagues/manager will make an effort to get us out for one or two outings while there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Reputation: 10687
When my son and his girlfriend were in Copenhagen a year ago (she was on business), they found that the cheapest flights and the best use of their time involved a visit to Berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Honestly I have not done any research on Copenhagen; only looked at few pics and Tripadvisor suggestions. I think because I have this list of top places I'd like to see and Denmark isn't on it. Of course you make a good point that I should ensure I fully enjoy what Denmark has to offer while there. Luckily, I think outside of work my colleagues/manager will make an effort to get us out for one or two outings while there.
Copenhagen is a fine city in its own right. It was my introduction to Europe. Quite small though, so you'd get bored after a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
At this point I'm not sure what the Kurd/Syria endgame is in that part of the world. Istanbul is acceptably safe at this point for even a reasonably cautious traveler, but you never know when some of the stuff going on near the Syrian border (civil unrest, suicide bombings) starts to migrate northward and westward to the more Europe-oriented part of the country.
suicide Bomber Attack today in Istanbul tourist hub:

Istanbul: Explosion by ISIS bomber kills at least 10 - CNN.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Reputation: 7694
Hate it when I end up being Cassandra in the wrong sort of way. Now the question is whether that's a one-off or the first of a number of incidents.

Maybe a Budapest + Vienna circle route? Because I'm apparently bound and determined to get you onto a train, set it as open jaw plane ticket to fly into Budapest, train to Vienna, and then fly back to Copenhagen from there?

I've got a friend who just got back from living in Vienna for a few years- never felt unsafe there and she came to really love the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Hate it when I end up being Cassandra in the wrong sort of way. Now the question is whether that's a one-off or the first of a number of incidents.

Maybe a Budapest + Vienna circle route? Because I'm apparently bound and determined to get you onto a train, set it as open jaw plane ticket to fly into Budapest, train to Vienna, and then fly back to Copenhagen from there?

I've got a friend who just got back from living in Vienna for a few years- never felt unsafe there and she came to really love the city.
I can't believe this attack. I was just thinking I'd better get to Istanbul while I have the chance. It's really the primary place I wanted to see.

I actually went to Vienna last October for work so I was thinking somewhere new. I guess I could just do Budapest but I wanted to also throw in 3 days somewhere that would add more "contrast" to Copenhagen. Greece??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top