U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2016, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Reputation: 2031

Advertisements

I might have to go to Denmark early October this year for work. If so I plan to tack on up to a week off at the end of the trip so I can explore more there or somewhere else in Europe.

Any suggestions for a city to check out while there? I love architecture, bigger cities, beaches, spanish food, museums and photography. I dont expect to get all of that in one trip though.

I need the flight to be under maybe 4 hours one way, as I will have to fly back to Denmark since my flight back to the US will be from there.

I was thinking Barcelona or Istanbul or maybe Lisbon but havent checked flight durations yet. Ive already been to Barcelona and would love to go back but also thought maybe I should try somewhere new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2016, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Reputation: 1515
I would suggest using skyscanner. You can just put in your starting location and say that you want to look for flights to everywhere. It will then show your options for each country you might be interested in and the potential costs for traveling to each. If you have a budget in mind it may help to narrow down your options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 PM
 
2,288 posts, read 3,932,287 times
Reputation: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Any suggestions for a city to check out while there? I love architecture, bigger cities, beaches, spanish food, museums and photography. I dont expect to get all of that in one trip though.

I need the flight to be under maybe 4 hours one way, as I will have to fly back to Denmark since my flight back to the US will be from there.

I was thinking Barcelona or Istanbul or maybe Lisbon but havent checked flight durations yet. Ive already been to Barcelona and would love to go back but also thought maybe I should try somewhere new.
Where else have you been? Unless you have often been to Europe, you should probably explore something else before you go back to Barcelona. Every nonstop from CPH to elsewhere in Europe is under 4 hours, I use flightconnections.com - All flights worldwide on a map to get an idea of who flies where. Istanbul and Lisbon are good ideas. Russia is cheap at the moment, St. Petersburg is great (baroque architecture, many great museums). Athens and a few islands (Santorini etc) can be done in a week. I would personally pick two European cities that I haven't seen and that are reasonably close to each other, and spend 3 days in each of them: Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Vienna..

Another thing -- depending on how things work with your employer, you might look into booking your transatlantic itinerary as an open jaw (e.g. US-CPH then xxx-US). You would save a flight (no need to backtrack to Denmark), and the total cost to you could be lower, assuming you will only pay the difference between the actual cost and the cheapest round trip from the US to Copenhagen. Example I just checked:

ORD-CPH round trip from 10/3 to 10/17: $1,038 nonstop on SAS, can be $50 less on other Star Alliance carriers (Air Canada, Lufthansa or United).

ORD-CPH on 10/3, then IST-ORD on 10/17: can be as cheap as $655 on Air France with a long connection, or around $720 with a reasonable connection. Add a CPH-IST one-way on Pegasus for $105, everybody saves money and you save a flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Reputation: 7694
Though Russia does require a tourist visa so plan early to handle the paperwork if that's your pick.

I'd think taking the train to Berlin- so much to do there and one of the more budget-friendly big European cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 01:40 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Reputation: 6606
4 hours one way? You can go anywhere in Europe. Berlin is a good suggestion, you can take the train there. Also, while you're in Denmark...take the 20 minute train ride over to Malmo, Sweden. It's on a bridge over the water, very scenic. And Malmo is an interesting city.

You could always go somewhere like Prague or Budapest, those fit most of your wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though Russia does require a tourist visa so plan early to handle the paperwork if that's your pick.

I'd think taking the train to Berlin- so much to do there and one of the more budget-friendly big European cities.
I have put Berlin on the list. Not interested in Russia

Right now I'm considering:

Berlin
Budapest
Prague
Istanbul
Malmo
Brussels

To be honest as of this very moment I'm considering 2 days in Budapest with 3-4 days in Istanbul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I would suggest using skyscanner. You can just put in your starting location and say that you want to look for flights to everywhere. It will then show your options for each country you might be interested in and the potential costs for traveling to each. If you have a budget in mind it may help to narrow down your options
Thank you for the skyscanner suggestion; I am going to look at this over the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Where else have you been? Unless you have often been to Europe, you should probably explore something else before you go back to Barcelona. Every nonstop from CPH to elsewhere in Europe is under 4 hours, I use flightconnections.com - All flights worldwide on a map to get an idea of who flies where. Istanbul and Lisbon are good ideas. Russia is cheap at the moment, St. Petersburg is great (baroque architecture, many great museums). Athens and a few islands (Santorini etc) can be done in a week. I would personally pick two European cities that I haven't seen and that are reasonably close to each other, and spend 3 days in each of them: Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Vienna..

Another thing -- depending on how things work with your employer, you might look into booking your transatlantic itinerary as an open jaw (e.g. US-CPH then xxx-US). You would save a flight (no need to backtrack to Denmark), and the total cost to you could be lower, assuming you will only pay the difference between the actual cost and the cheapest round trip from the US to Copenhagen. Example I just checked:

ORD-CPH round trip from 10/3 to 10/17: $1,038 nonstop on SAS, can be $50 less on other Star Alliance carriers (Air Canada, Lufthansa or United).

ORD-CPH on 10/3, then IST-ORD on 10/17: can be as cheap as $655 on Air France with a long connection, or around $720 with a reasonable connection. Add a CPH-IST one-way on Pegasus for $105, everybody saves money and you save a flight.
Great post! Thank you. I think you may have given input on a similar post of mine last year when I was traveling to Vienna for work and deciding on where to go in Italy. I appreciate the insight.

To answer your question, I have been to:
Paris
Barcelona
Vienna
Rome
Capri

I will have to do some research on the open jaw option. My company was very strict last October about flying back out of the city we conducted business in, so I didn't bring it to them as an option but I will this year if the open jaw would be cheaper.

Right now I'm considering splitting the time between Budapest and Istanbul. So many other places I want to see (i.e. Greece!). Last year when we went to Vienna, I decided to do a trip to Italy. So my trip ended up being:

Chicago to Vienna
Vienna to Rome
Rome to Naples
Naples ferry to Capri
Capri ferry back to Naples
Naples to Rome
Rome to Vienna
Vienna to Chicago

Now that I've written that out, and am reflecting back on how I planned that vacation to Italy to see both Rome and Capri at the end of the business Vienna trip, that was a lot! I don't think I realized how hectic doing a trip like that alone would be; I just did it. At the end of the day it was amazing and I have some great memories and photos but it was also tiring. But time is limited so....

Anyways, I think having to go through Naples and get on a ferry to Capri was part of the most exhausting part. I would just do Budapest for this year's trip but I really really do want to see Istanbul; it's high on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,304 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Reputation: 18284
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I would just do Budapest for this year's trip but I really really do want to see Istanbul; it's high on my list.
If you really want to see Istanbul, why not just visit Istanbul and save Budapest for another trip? Budapest won't be going anywhere, and there's plenty to see and do in Turkey to keep you occupied for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Reputation: 7694
Also Istanbul is reasonably safe & secure right now, and it could be different in that regard in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top