U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 PM

102 posts, read 77,161 times

Advertisements

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Southeast Asia and want to see as much as I can in that time. What are your must sees and any suguestions on an itinerary? Not keen on beaches and relaxing, want to get down and dirty see the natural and cultural sites and party! For some reason I really want to go to Myanmar so am especially keen on information for there! Any help appreciated 😊😊😊😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:58 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
I can offer some advice, having been in SE a few times (no way do I claim to be an expert) - I would focus on Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. That gives you a week in each country, both being adjacent to each other.
It's good that you are avoiding those beach areas because they really are being spoiled by the western backpacking crowd, particularly in Thailand and it's taking a foothold in Vietnam and even Cambodia. Avoid those areas like the plague unless you enjoy drunken Aussies vomiting on the beach.
For Vietnam I would focus on Saigon to see big city life and Hue to see some of the imperial history, and if you are into some of the American war history that is there to, although you have to deal with the one-sided propaganda.
For Cambodia you have of course Angkor Wat which is a must see.
As commercial as Thailand is you cannot miss Bangkok and it's sights.
All these countries have magnificent sights that I can't even begin to touch in one single post, I doubt anyone here can - you have to do some research that goes beyond the scope of what you can find here. I think Lonely Planet has an edition that deals with these three countries all in one book. Loads of knowledge there as well as in there forums.

I can't answer for Burma, I would guess the travel infrastructure is much less developed and I don't know the visa restrictions. I don't know what your inter-regional travel plans are, it gets complex crossing borders. Vietnam and Cambodia you need visas of course. If you have done some travel in developing countries you shouldn't have a problem. If you haven't - you might want to rethink things.

You have Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and other countries of course. Some may recommend Singapore but from your post I would discourage it - it's like S.E. Asia for beginners, with the quick A/C mall to seek relief in. I think you want a more raw experience.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:39 AM

653 posts, read 539,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysuxx View Post
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Southeast Asia and want to see as much as I can in that time. What are your must sees and any suguestions on an itinerary? Not keen on beaches and relaxing, want to get down and dirty see the natural and cultural sites and party! For some reason I really want to go to Myanmar so am especially keen on information for there! Any help appreciated 😊😊😊😊
If you want to see natural and cultural sites, i would recommend both Vietnam and Cambodia; Vietnam is okay, but keep your wits around you in Cambodia.

Cambodia and Vietnam is full of cultural sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or