Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 AM

26 posts, read 25,593 times

Advertisements

Going to London from USA,

What is my cheapest way to use money.
Get English pounds(where from)

Is using my Visa card a smart way to spend my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Going to London from USA - By plane, or boat, or swim. Are you asking for the cheapest air route? You don't say from where in the US, otherwise look up a good airline search engine for your point of departure and date, being flexible for both.

Cheapest way to use money - huh?

Get English pounds from - just use an ATM in England.

Visa card - yes a credit card is best and most secure. Try to use one with low forex fees.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:24 AM

19,428 posts, read 27,804,420 times
For cash - use an ATM. Credit cards exist that do not tack on exchange fees. If you qualify, Capital One offers a Visa card that offers rewards AND charges no foreign transaction fee. Capital One also has online bank accounts that allow you to use the our of network ATM with much lower fees than traditional banks.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 AM

206 posts, read 238,382 times
Capital One card does not charge overseas fee. Do call 800# before your european trip so you won't get blocked for using card overseas & have to straighten this out from Britain.

I think ATM is most convenient way to handle it all now. Again, talk to your bank to make sure you will not be blocked using it overseas...Minimize number of ATM stops so get a bundle of cash when you use the ATM to reduce fees.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
If a hotel or shop in a foreign country offers to run the card so it bills in US dollars this is called dynamic currency exchange and about 99% of the time you get a worse exchange rate than an ATM withdrawal or running the card in pounds.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:10 AM

43,608 posts, read 44,341,041 times
As already said just withdraw money from a local ATM/cash machine in the UK.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:33 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
Capital One card does not charge overseas fee. Do call 800# before your european trip so you won't get blocked for using card overseas & have to straighten this out from Britain.

I think ATM is most convenient way to handle it all now. Again, talk to your bank to make sure you will not be blocked using it overseas...Minimize number of ATM stops so get a bundle of cash when you use the ATM to reduce fees.
Agree with Capital one credit card and local ATM.

Use bank debit card to withdraw pounds rather than using a credit card which will carry much higher fees. Some banks charge fee per transaction and some based on amount of cash withdrawn. Clarify that with your bank before you use it.

When using Capital one always ask to charge in British pounds. The rate of exchange is much better with the Visa card doing it, than the hotel / restaurant / shop's rate when they convert it to US $.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,533 times
Or, if you want some pounds in your pocket when you get there, get them ahead of time from your bank. I use Bank of America to get foreign currency before a trip, and it works wonderfully. Their exchange rate is excellent and the fee is minimal, and often waived. I love not having for look for an ATM when my feet hit the ground in a foreign country...and that's one less transaction where something could go wrong on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel