U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 02:55 PM

21,976 posts, read 22,156,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james287 View Post
#1: Italian Lake District
#2: Cinque Terre
#3: Milan
#4: Amalfi Coast
#5: Pompeii
#6: Venice
#7: Rome
The Cinque Terre is on my bucket list. But I can't imagine loving anywhere like I love Venice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 04:03 AM

2 posts, read 895 times
Default Top 5 cities to visit in London

It completely depends on what your priorities are, what you're interested in, etc, According to My Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice, Verona is the best place to visit .

Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,166,085 times
Verona is rainy and sad, Rome, Venice, Siena and Florence are swamped by tourist hordes (and Siena is quite snobbish imho). I would not go to these places even if I was paid. But I'd like to discover Bari and the Puglie, the Amalfi coast , the Vesuvius and Pompei. I would avoid Naples though, known to be a dump , and dangerous (pickpockets).

Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 PM

335 posts, read 297,648 times
We loved Lucca. Fantastic food. Biking around the city. Great atmosphere, perfect location for day trips. Not overly touristy but still has a tourist infastructure. I'm glad we went to Rome, but I probably will go somewhere else in Italy than Rome when we go back. We liked Cinque Terre alot, it was dramatically beautiful, but I have heard in August that it is overcrowded to an unpleasant point.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 PM

6,624 posts, read 3,690,289 times
I enjoyed Rome and we could get around easily on foot or the metro. We did a hop on/hop off tour one day and went back later to a few places. This was July 1st or so and it was crowded with tourists. The biggest disappointment was the craziness of trying to see the Sistine Chapel. Don't bother-- the crowds were horrendous and the chapel itself was a zoo with security guards shouting ''silencio''...go figure. I walked around one morning on my own and saw a lot...Italians were stopping me for directions and I could actually tell them how to get around. People were friendly.

Florence was less welcoming. We did another hop on/hop off. You spend hours standing in line. It is beautiful and there is a lot to see. We didn't take a tour in Milan and should have. It is a big city. We focused on only a few things. I'd take a tour next time. Venice is a must-see...before it deteriorates or the sea takes a toll. It floods often and you can be walking in ankle deep water at St. Marks some days.

I stayed in Perugia six days on one trip and three or four on another and took day trips to Florence and Assisi. Orvieto isn't far away. We went to a wedding in Bra (slow food central) and stayed several days...food was wonderful. I recommend staying put somewhere for several days to get into the rhythm of local culture.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:22 AM

3,998 posts, read 1,715,244 times
Perugia is great as the last poster mentioned- you can visit a lot of places from there and it is a beautiful hill town that isn't as popular with the tourists as some of the other places. I went in December when it was not crowded at all, so I was able to see a lot. The only downside was that I had a cold front the whole time I was in Italy (around 2 weeks) so it was much colder than I had expected.

I also like Milan as it is also a good place to do day trips and a lot cheaper than some of the other ultra touristy cities like Venice and Rome. That said, before I went there someone told me she really disliked it compared to the rest of Italy and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really ended up liking it. While Verona does get a lot of rain (we went for a day trip and it had a quick pour similar to what you'd find in Florida), it kind of gives the city a magical look afterward. We were also able to go to the lake district. Of course we went in spring when all the flowers were out and the lake district was absolutely gorgeous.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:49 AM

32 posts, read 14,283 times
I suggest these are very wonderful locations in Italy, you can take a look

Rome
Venice
Florence
Milan
Naples
Verona
Pisa
Palermo
Lake Garda
Lucca

Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,171,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Jesus, so I'm planning a honeymoon and Naples was going to be our base but after reading some things online about it, I may have to re-think things. I have this romanticized view of all of Italy so to read about Naples and how it's a dump surprised the hell out of me.
Parts of Naples around the train station are a slum. People who get off the train and walk around for a little while don't see much else. Naples is the gateway to Capri, Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and many other wonderful areas so I wouldn't avoid Naples, just plan your trip to see more than just one unpleasant part of the central city.

The natural setting of Naples is one of the most beautiful in the world.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:10 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,171,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
So far, my favorite city in Italy has been Genoa: a very underrated yet historic place to visit. It doesn't quite have the mega tourist sites (and numbers of tourists) of other places, but the medieval quarter is very fun to explore, there are lively markets, the aquarium is good, and there is some lovely architecture (including grand palazzi) from later periods to enjoy. Liguria in general is a great region for seafood, pesto, focaccia, wine, and other delights, and Genoa is right at the heart of it all. Its position on the coast makes for some lovely views, and it is a good base for day trips to other coastal locations (including the French Riviera) and inland sites to the north (such as the Piedmont).
Good call, Genoa is close to both Cinque Terre and the French Riviera by train (the Blue Train that runs along the Med with spectacular views almost the whole way).

Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 PM

6,652 posts, read 2,449,627 times
Rome takes your breath away at first sight. Well, first sight for me was arriving and dropping all our stuff at the hotel and walking to the Spanish Steps just in time to enjoy the golden hour. I've never seen light like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or