U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:37 AM

32 posts, read 14,274 times

Advertisements

I am Mention here top 5 best cities to visit in Italy, these are

1. Turin
2. Bergamo
3. Milan
4. Mantua
5. Genoa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 AM

335 posts, read 297,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
We loved Lucca. Fantastic food. Biking around the city. Great atmosphere, perfect location for day trips. Not overly touristy but still has a tourist infastructure. I'm glad we went to Rome, but I probably will go somewhere else in Italy than Rome when we go back. We liked Cinque Terre alot, it was dramatically beautiful, but I have heard in August that it is overcrowded to an unpleasant point.
We LOVED Lucca. Probably my favorite place I've visited and I can't wait to go back and spend a few weeks.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 4,200,381 times
I'm in Naples right now and am enjoying it greatly. In the historic center, there is a lot of graffiti on buildings, and there is a bit of litter on some of the streets, both of which can be disconcerting to many visitors. The historic center streets are very narrow, and the crush of pedestrians, mopeds, and occasional cars can be off-putting. The cobblestones are often uneven and some sites are in a bit of disrepair, but if you can get past these things, you will find that Naples is an amazing city--both frantic and charming--with tons going on.

The historic center is a designated UNESCO World Heritage site for good reason--there are dozens of churches, palaces, and other sites/monuments all packed into just a few contiguous walkable neighborhoods. The historic center is somewhat based on a grid plan, but the presence of medieval alleys, various plazas, and other features gives the area a fun, labyrinthine feel. Most buildings in the center are medium-rise and flush with the sidewalks/streets, so many of the streets also have a "close in" feel that neighborhoods with broader boulevards and set-back buildings don't provide.

There are lots of shops scattered about--pizzerias and other restaurants, old-school bars and innovative cocktail lounges, guitar stores, music shops, academic bookstores, haberdasheries, an occasional store selling ecclesiastical wardrobe, pastry vendors, gelato shops, souvenir shops, and so on--all mixed in with churches, converted palazzi, roman-style arcades, etc. The area reminds me a lot of Madrid around the Plaza Mayor and Atocha areas--very standard places mixed in with very funky places. This evening we had a drink at a very odd bar on a plaza (S. Giovanni Maggiore) that was crawling with mostly college-aged kids laughing, conversing, imbibing, eating, showing off, smoking, toking, and other things. It was so odd to see this, but it shows the energy in the historic district: it isn't just a bunch of tourists and postcard stands, but it also attracts local people for fun and entertainment. Some visitors would prefer a quieter and more manicured experience, but this mix of people is a testament to the central city's rebirth and viability.

Of course, there's more to Naples than its densely-packed historic districts. Today (after a morning at the Archeological Museum) we spent the afternoon in Vomero, a very pleasant and upscale neighborhood that is best accessed via funicular. The streets are a little broader and leafier, the buildings lower-rise and less imposing, the mix of people a bit older and more traditional. There are many other neighborhoods to explore, too-- no need to hang around the train station neighborhood and pretend that it alone represents the entirety of Naples. Tomorrow we're headed to the Spanish Quarter and other areas near the water. We're very impressed with Naples--it requires a bit more work than other cities, perhaps, but it has lots to do and see. It shouldn't be missed. I know I won't be able to see all that I'd like to see, so am already planning my next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or