Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
So, How was your vacay?
What vacay? You must be talking about someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't know where you're living, OP, but between the neighbors who won't call the cops when they see suspicious activity, won't watch your home when youre away, and removing the mailboxes because of theft, well, it sounds miserable. I know you explained it's not a high crime neighborhood, but it sure sounds unpleasant. At least, on a social level.

Nobody in this neighborhood has removed their boxes. Others in other neighborhoods have, but it is a small town. As I already stated, we did have a neighbor check when we were gone and will do so again.

It IS a bit unpleasant, probably not in the way you think. The unpleasant part is realizing that people are too willing to give unfamiliar or questionable people the benefit of the doubt. "Oh, I thought that was just so-and-so's friend." The problem is that when there are, in fact, many noncriminal strangers (tourists) around, you cannot be paranoid about someone looking at a house or street. Some of them are just plain lost.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:38 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What vacay? You must be talking about someone else.
I admit I haven't been reading through the 7 pages/60+ posts, and I was just curious as your original Thread Starter post was several weeks ago, and ref'd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
...I want to take extra precautions when we go away. With so many tourists and other nonresidents present all year, unfamiliar faces are not noticeable...and some of the criminals are locals, anyway.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Pikabike, you might want to consider installing one of these (also on sale at costco)

Robot Check

Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I don't want to be a smart alack BUT ... if you are that worried that your house will be burglarized when you are gone with all of the precautions that you have taken, you really need to look at moving to a better neighborhood.
This

I haven't been at my house in 2+ weeks. I'm not even remotely concerned about a break-in. My neighbors would call or email if something happened and nobody is going to pull into our little private lane in an unknown car without a retiree neighbor challenging them.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 AM

I got rid of the Intermatic Astro timers, and good riddance to them. Ironically, the day the electrician was working at our house, a neighbor who had recently had two of those installed ran over and asked him to figure out why hers was not working as programmed.

He made the other changes I had decided on, including several new motion-detector lights, and we still can manually turn on the other, non-motion-detector lights any time we want (which is not often). I like the new setup much better, and we will continue with all the other precautions already taken. Still need to add one more thing that is a DIY project.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
If someone wants to break into a house they will do it. In the last 2 yrs when our subdivision had a rash of break ins, all but one of the homes had alarms on them.

A Alarm pretty much means they cant clean you out, since they have 5 mins and under to get what they want and leave, since they know a cop wont show up for a minimum of 10 mins+ typically and those 3-4 mins is all they needed to take your tv, gun, laptop and whatever small item they could find and even steal your car when they see the keys for it.

Cameras serve more as a deterrent and might work with teens, but if someone really wants to get in your home, they just put on a mask and the camera near useless at that point.

Like many have said, timers, a motion sensing camera that emails you, along with an alarm is the best bet and hide your PC or personal files if you are still worried about being broken into.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:55 PM

I hide that stuff, including vehicle keys, and in some cases lock them up in odd places, when we go away. They could search for them, if they're willing to risk getting caught while taking that time to search. The cops in a small town have much less distance to cover, so 5 minutes would be very risky.

Of course a thief can break in despite alarms, lights, and other deterrents. That is why they are called deterrrents, not guarantees. But better to have some deterrents than nothing. Any obstacle I can put in their way to ill-gotten items is another reason to go pick on an unalarmed, un-MD-sensed, unlocked house instead of mine. And, BTW, even though neighbors are not nosy/guarding types, an alarm going off or other obvious red flag would probably result in someone calling the cops, who would be notified by the alarm company anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel