Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times

Advertisements

Get one of those security camera setups online that link to your phone. They arent too expensive. They let you know when there is movement and if it looks shady have your local PD on speed dial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Without installing expensive multicam video monitoring or a Fort Knox enclosure, what other security measures have you found effective for when you are away?

The best protection is to make friends with your neighbors.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Our house has deadbolt locks, ADT alarm system, and timers for lights. The mailbox is a locking one, and we have mail held if we leave for a trip.

Without installing expensive multicam video monitoring or a Fort Knox enclosure, what other security measures have you found effective for when you are away?

I plan to get some extra locks and "surprises" for the manual garage doors. Any recommendations for those? (No, we will not install a motorized system to open them.)

A lot of people hire housesitters but I do not want anyone living here in our absence.

There is a surprising amount of property theft in the area (related to methheads cruising around), and with a culture where people are reluctant to call police, I want to take extra precautions when we go away. With so many tourists and other nonresidents present all year, unfamiliar faces are not noticeable...and some of the criminals are locals, anyway.

The police can make courtesy drivebys sometimes, but I suspect that has little deterrence unless done frequently, at random, which is too much to ask.
What kind of nasty community do you live in? You don't think you're doing enough? What do you have to steal? ...I'm not surprised you don't want a housesitter in your home. I guess I can understand wanting extra safety when you're actually IN your home, but you do have homeowner's insurance to cover theft, right?

And when you say "surprises" for the garage doors - you'd better look into whether "booby traps" are illegal where you are.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
For manual garage doors you can use interior padlocks to prevent opening or tampering with the lock. Definitely put timers on various lights indoors to turn them off and on at various times that appear as if someone is home (like the living room light is on from 6-10 pm, and then the bedrm light from 10-12pm). Maybe even put a small tv on a timer to create the moving lights of a tv show glowing in the bdrm. Motion detector porch lights near the exterior doors. to reveal suspicious activities to your neighbors.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
For manual garage doors you can use interior padlocks to prevent opening or tampering with the lock. Definitely put timers on various lights indoors to turn them off and on at various times that appear as if someone is home (like the living room light is on from 6-10 pm, and then the bedrm light from 10-12pm). Maybe even put a small tv on a timer to create the moving lights of a tv show glowing in the bdrm. Motion detector porch lights near the exterior doors. to reveal suspicious activities to your neighbors.
EXCELLENT point about the motiin detector lights. Can't believe I forgot that! But you still need the neighbors to call the cops.

BTW, this entire discussion applies to whenever you leave your home, not just when you're on vacation.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
WE live in a resort area with many people having second homes here.. Those that leave the front door light on when they leave so they can see to put the key in when they return next weekend might as well put a nobody home sign up.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
This is exactly why I have a dog and a roommate.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:50 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, no. I don't get it, I don't understand a neighborhood that doesn't watch out for each other.

You are correct in saying that blockwatch signage doesn't stop crime. It simply warns criminals that they are in a community where neighbors are educated and will get involved and WILL alert police if they see suspicious behavior. Which suggests to the criminals that they should choose another neighborhood to rob. Statistics do back this up - but it's NOT the signage. It's the people.
Agreed , no substitute for nieghors looking out for each other . We have an active crime watch where I live and trust me the criminals are well aware . Having a official crime watch through the local police dept also gets more patrols in the area as well ...

Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Personally, I'd be reluctant to leave my house unattended for very long. There are valuable items inside and homeowners insurance is basically worthless. They'll gladly take the premiums every year, but then, if you have a claim, they'll do everything they can to keep from paying you.

That has NOT been my experience. I have had five claims over thirty years (including two over $10k) and in each, I have received a settlement that was satisfactory.

I will say that you will have a lot BETTER claims experience if you shop excellent small insurance companies that have great claims service as opposed to the four or five MEGA-companies that spend all their money on goofy commercials that run 24 hours per day.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:22 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
*****bike:

{I havent read all responses so if this has been mentioned sorry}

Harbor Freight has a nice 4 caamera/dvr set for about $250:

8 Channel Surveillance DVR with 4 Cameras and Mobile Monitoring Capabilities

Order online or shop in store....a set or two is not that expensive and could easily be installed.

I wouldn't say $500 for extra peace of mind is too much...but if you have ADT, what do you want another set up for????? I'snt ADT that good???

SOunds like you are alright on all other firing cylinders as far as security, though. Smart moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel