U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,558,484 times

Advertisements

Doing research for my honeymoon, I think we're going to do Southern Italy and Greece for a couple of weeks. We're flying from DC in mid-September. We wanted to do United since we flew with them to Europe last year however the cost for two of us is $2700 one way which is insanely expensive. With Aer Lingus it's about $1500. Has anyone flown with them? We had a good experience with United, food was good and the in flight TV was good but is this one of those "you get what you pay for" type of deals or is this airline legit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,221,760 times
My boss flies with them from IAD to Dublin. He either flies United or Aer Lingus. He would tell me if they weren't a good airline. He flies to Dublin a few times a year.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 PM

908 posts, read 930,624 times
No problem when I was in Dublin last year. I wanna say we flew out of IAD but can't recall.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 AM

Thanks guys! I will definitely try to do more research on this, it seems like it's OK...free carry on and 1 free checked baggage. But I've never heard of them until now, so I'm a bit wary of airlines like this, also WOW etc. They seem to be big in Europe but transatlantic flights is what I'm more concerned with.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,313,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Doing research for my honeymoon, I think we're going to do Southern Italy and Greece for a couple of weeks. We're flying from DC in mid-September. We wanted to do United since we flew with them to Europe last year however the cost for two of us is $2700 one way which is insanely expensive. With Aer Lingus it's about $1500. Has anyone flown with them? We had a good experience with United, food was good and the in flight TV was good but is this one of those "you get what you pay for" type of deals or is this airline legit?
Why are you flying one way? Cruising back?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,932,930 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! I will definitely try to do more research on this, it seems like it's OK...free carry on and 1 free checked baggage. But I've never heard of them until now, so I'm a bit wary of airlines like this, also WOW etc. They seem to be big in Europe but transatlantic flights is what I'm more concerned with.
They're fine. One-way transatlantic pricing can be weird, people rarely ever buy these fares.

I have the same question as the previous poster -- why one-way? An open jaw (google it) will generally be a lot less expensive than two one-ways.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
They're fine. One-way transatlantic pricing can be weird, people rarely ever buy these fares.

I have the same question as the previous poster -- why one-way? An open jaw (google it) will generally be a lot less expensive than two one-ways.
Initial planning was Southern Italy and Greece as our honeymoon, and I was wanting to do open jaw, so maybe fly to Italy, and then fly out of Greece to go home.

But after he brought up the question of one way I decided to search for round trip fare:

$3,005 using United if I flew from Dulles to Rome, round trip
$2,128 using Aer Lingus round trip

In one way fares using Aer Lingus it was $3,120.

Flights from Rome to Greece are $130 for 2 people. Dirt cheap.

The only problem is, and it's not a big deal b/c flights are cheap anyway, but we'd go to Rome, head south, come back up to fly out of FCO to go to Athens. Then fly back to Rome to catch our flight home.

If I did Dulles to Athens, it's about 2 grand using British Airways, but as I stated above, we're hopping from one country to the other to catch our flight home.

I'm not a fan of the back and forth. I also tried this itinerary on Kayak and saw through a hacker fare that I could get everything I wanted for about $3100, 4 grand if I felt more comfortable using Lufthansa's instead of Brussels Airlines. Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
I'd go with Brussels and save the money for better food & hotels while you're on the ground. Any EU-based airline is going to be solid on safety and they're a Star Alliance partner, which I'd tend to see as a sign they meet some minimal standards for financial solvency and reliability. Can also probably get some sort of partial credit of miles to your United FF account under the alliance partnership.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM

11,883 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Yep-my first trip to Ireland in 2000. I was 14 though.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,032 times
Quote:
Initial planning was Southern Italy and Greece as our honeymoon, and I was wanting to do open jaw, so maybe fly to Italy, and then fly out of Greece to go home.

But after he brought up the question of one way I decided to search for round trip fare:

$3,005 using United if I flew from Dulles to Rome, round trip
$2,128 using Aer Lingus round trip

In one way fares using Aer Lingus it was $3,120.

Flights from Rome to Greece are $130 for 2 people. Dirt cheap.

The only problem is, and it's not a big deal b/c flights are cheap anyway, but we'd go to Rome, head south, come back up to fly out of FCO to go to Athens. Then fly back to Rome to catch our flight home.

If I did Dulles to Athens, it's about 2 grand using British Airways, but as I stated above, we're hopping from one country to the other to catch our flight home.

I'm not a fan of the back and forth. I also tried this itinerary on Kayak and saw through a hacker fare that I could get everything I wanted for about $3100, 4 grand if I felt more comfortable using Lufthansa's instead of Brussels Airlines. Thoughts?
If you are willing to go to JFK you may find better deals. Last year my sister and I got a 2 for 1 deal on Emirates from JFK to Milan for $799 combined. They still run this deal on occasion but most recently it's been about $999 for two people total. Once you land in Milan you can easily take a another flight for dirt cheap, you could also take a train but flying makes more sense. Emirates is an awesome airline and that deal is also offered for their business and first class fares. Also getting to JFK may not be that much of a hassle, when we did it we rented a car one way on the way up, Alamo seems to never charge a drop off fee when you pick up at IAD so you're looking at the cost of a one day rental plus tolls, probably $100 at most. With enough planning you may find a cheap fare to JFK from the DC area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel