U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
While I wouldn't be one of them right now, thousands of tourists still visit Turkey every day. It really shouldn't be on your list with those other countries. However, I might have included Egypt on your list.

Interesting article from just a few days ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/20/tr...rism.html?_r=0
Egypt and Turkey are OK. I haven't been to Egypt in several years but the government goes overboard in making sure the tourists are safe, for good reason - most of their economy is based on tourism.
Yes I know in both Egypt and Turkey there have been 'incidents'...but N. Korea stands on it's own beyond all others as a country you may not make it out of. OP - In that country it's not crime or terrorists or walking into a war zone you have to fear - it's the very government itself and the fact that the US has absolutely no diplomatic relations with DPRK. If you end up in jail there (which happens by simply looking at a poster of The Supreme Leader wrong), nothing short of Jimmy Carter or Dennis Rodman flying over to plead your case will help you get out after a couple years of hard labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:00 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OP - In that country it's not crime or terrorists or walking into a war zone you have to fear - it's the very government itself and the fact that the US has absolutely no diplomatic relations with DPRK. If you end up in jail there (which happens by simply looking at a poster of The Supreme Leader wrong), nothing short of Jimmy Carter or Dennis Rodman flying over to plead your case will help you get out after a couple years of hard labor.
This is not completely true. Sweden serves as the protecting power of the States, Canada, and Australia in North Korea. If anything happened to an US, Canadian, or Australian citizen in North Korea, the Swedish embassy in Pyongyang would try to help.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:36 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,227,260 times
Why not Iran, Zimbabwe, Syria and Libya? I recommend you make plane to visit these countries as well. I think they offer very unique and dynamic travel experience that will leave you mesmerized and amazed.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Its actually pretty common for safari tours to go through the Zim side of Victoria Falls as part of a bigger southern Africa route. Mugabe seems to not mess with that part of the country much because he knows its a cash cow for getting badly needed hard currency into the country.

Iran is supposed to be a pretty good place for a tour group vacation as long as you passport isn't on the big and little Satans list and has apparently become moderately popular with Australian tourists looking for something a bit different in recent years.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,714,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm650 View Post
I would like to go to North Korea someday. It certainly would be nothing I've ever experienced before. How does one travel there as an American? I believe you go in through Bejing. I've heard North Korea actually has lower crime than the US.
So you want to support a regime with foreign currency and lots of cash that tortures its own people, has thousands of its citizens in Nazi camps and tortures them just like the Nazis tortured the Jews, and that severely abuses the people of North Korea in any way possible.
Then they routinely and randomly arrests Americans on bogus charges so that they can blackmail the U.S. government.

WTF?

Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 AM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Why not Iran, Zimbabwe, Syria and Libya? I recommend you make plane to visit these countries as well. I think they offer very unique and dynamic travel experience that will leave you mesmerized and amazed.
Zimbabwe certainly does not belong on that list. Geez. . .

Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 AM

15,215 posts, read 8,518,332 times
At least 4 points against:

North Korea is like the 3rd most corrupt country in the world....
I'd never give them my dollars considering what they do to their own people...
Nothing worth seeing there anyway...
Be careful or you'll get thrown in jail.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,414,730 times
Are you taking your meds? Who in their right mind would go there? Is Rodman going with you?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM

5,269 posts, read 2,701,543 times
I have no pity for people like you that end up getting 30 years in a labor camp because of the stupidity of going there.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,610,484 times
Red face Try South Korea - perhaps first

I know a couple that visited S. Korea within the past year as they were attending a wedding there. It was a large city they were in and very different from the US of course. Very crowded with not much good air to breathe. The had a good experience as their exchange student daughter, who is Korean, was getting married. North Korea is a much different place - not very open or free - if you do go be extremely careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel