U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,580 times

Advertisements

I am leaving on February 1, 2016 driving from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Creede, Colorado. I have a 4 wheel drive older truck with pretty good tires. I will also be carrying chains.

This is not a vacation, I am re-locating.

I am not interested in any sight seeing along the way, just getting to Creede.

I am thinking about taking I-70 to I-40 to 24 west and I-25 into Pueblo, CO.

From Pueblo I would take 160 West to 149 and into Creede.

Can anyone describe the potential driving issues entering Colorado from Kansas via the I-25 corridor? Has anyone experienced this route in February?

I was thinking of avoiding the I-70 route through Denver altogether and thus avoiding the I-25 South journey from Denver to pick-up 160 West. I was thinking that maybe it makes more sense to just avoid Denver altogether and just enter Colorado from Kansas through the I-25 corridor, monitor the weather from there, and if the weather report is not favorable, just stay in Pueblo a few nights before heading west toward Creede.

I realize driving conditions will likely get dicey at times, and certainly anywhere west of Pueblo en route to my final destination, Creede, CO., could present weather related challenges. I am not worried about the drive, but would really appreciate hearing from others that may have experienced this drive in February.

I have driven cross country several times during the winter, but have always used I-80. Not so interested in doing the I-80 route this time around.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,283,969 times
The fastest route according to Google Maps is I-70->US-40->US-287->CO-96->CO-71->CO-10->US-160->CO-149.

February is typically one of our snowiest months. If the weather is gnarly on the Eastern Plains you may want to stick to I-70 and take US-24 into Colorado Springs. A lot of those two-lane state highways aren't plowed between 7pm and 5am.

US-160 over North La Veta Pass west of Walsenburg isn't usually that bad, but your mileage may vary.

Bottom line - check the weather forecast a few days before your departure then occasionally during your trip. Be ready to adjust on the fly and stay near the interstates if the weather is bad.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 PM

Bluescreen73,

Thanks for the information. This really helps a lot.

Dennis

Old 01-30-2016, 08:15 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,451,393 times
I second bluescreen73. I have driven up there to creede a few times in jan, feb, mar and usually no trouble getting through La Veta pass from Walsenburg to Alamosa and then up into Creede.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

There is a link with webcams, and road condition updates for Colorado. very useful. Right now it says roads are clear along the route you plan on taking....clear through Creede.

Can I ask why you are moving to Creede? Specifically what are you going to do there long term....not really a whole lot to do there outside of the tourist boom months.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 AM

11,096 posts, read 12,485,180 times
Major winter snow storm forecast for Feb 1st for a few days. Please check the CDOT road conditions on the link above. Good luck in your move.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:46 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,451,393 times
Hope you made it ok....heard there was big storm on the 1st or 2nd. Bunch of road closures.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM

Hey justnokie,

Got caught in the storm in Colby, Kansas. Eventually made it to Creede and rented a house here for 1-2 months. I picked Creede because I like the small town higher elevation scene and the winter sports. I am not a city person anymore. I am looking for a property caretaker position specifically for absentee owners. There are always people that leave their properties for a few months to several months per year. I just have to find that sort of arrangment. I have been property care-taking since 2006. If I find a caretaker position in another part of Colorado, that is also OK. It does not have to be Creede. Just here in Creede to enjoy the snow shoeing and peace and quiet for a bit.

Best to you,

Dennis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel