U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times

Advertisements

I saw Global Entry but wasn't sure what it was and if it would apply to me. However, we are considering taking a trip to Italy maybe later this year so I think that would be good. We're out of Denver and we mainly travel to Las Vegas and Miami although I do have trips booked for CA and NYC this year.

We aren't that much of fliers that we would get it for frequent travel points or anything so paying for it is not an issue. I just wanted to see opinions of others if it was worth it or not. I appreciate the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I saw Global Entry but wasn't sure what it was and if it would apply to me. However, we are considering taking a trip to Italy maybe later this year so I think that would be good. We're out of Denver and we mainly travel to Las Vegas and Miami although I do have trips booked for CA and NYC this year.

We aren't that much of fliers that we would get it for frequent travel points or anything so paying for it is not an issue. I just wanted to see opinions of others if it was worth it or not. I appreciate the input
If you're flying out of Miami on American then it will be worth it for that flight alone. Miami has some of the craziest lines I have ever seen, I can't imagine going though that airport without global entry.

There are times that you may get to an airport and the TSA Pre line is closed but you will still be able to go through without having to take off your shoes and the other benefits so it should always make the process a little better

Old 01-28-2016, 03:08 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times
Yes I agree. The lines at MIA are crazy. It sounds like additional aggravation will be avoided and that's worth all the money

Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM

289 posts, read 284,964 times
Quote:
Yes I agree. The lines at MIA are crazy. It sounds like additional aggravation will be avoided and that's worth all the money
It absolutely is. No better feeling than walking around a ridiculously long security line.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:10 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,487,525 times
Quote:
The bf and I travel about 3-4 times a year domestically and I was considering doing this. Do you think it's worth the money? TIA
Yes, it's worth it. It only costs $75 and lasts for five years. So that's 15 - 20 trips and 30 - 40 times in the TSA lines you would avoid.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,095,369 times
Omigod, YES, so worth it. I live in Atlanta. 'Nuff said!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:19 PM

221 posts, read 158,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Global entry enrollment is good for 5 years, nearly six if your interview is right after your birthday. If they take 4 trips a year they will have the opportunity to use the TSA Pre line for 20 trips in those 5 to 6 years or a total of 40 times (assuming flights from airports that have TSA Pre lines). It would work to about $2.50 or less for them
Ah, okay. I understand now. I don't know why my brain wasn't making that connection.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 PM

11,074 posts, read 4,867,242 times
Don't you have to let them do CIA level background checks on you and everyone you associate with though? Even though I have nothing to hide, the invasiveness creeps me out.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Some get it for free, but it's more case by case and of course by airline. If you don't always fly on the same airline, doing the process for Precheck means you get it all the time on every airline.

As someone who has global entry (which comes with pre check) I would say it is definitely not worth it. Going through the security line almost like its pre 9/11 is terrible.
I think family members of airline employees also get the TSA pre-check for free or anyone using a discounted (buddy/guest pass) ticket via an airline employee.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
People pay for this? I get it free. I assume it's because of my frequent flyer membership.
True. My wife gets it free and I don't because she has a lot of frequent flyer miles left over from before we met. But it's really stupid because oftentimes when she goes through the short line, I'm stuck going through the long line, so she still ends up waiting for me after she passes security so we can get to the gate and board the flight together TSA deals with this in different ways. Some of them send us both through the short line and others make me go through the long line anyway. I can see their reasoning either way, and although splitting us up is annoying, what's the point in her having Pre-Check if she still ends up waiting as long as the regular passengers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or