U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,583,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't you have to let them do CIA level background checks on you and everyone you associate with though? Even though I have nothing to hide, the invasiveness creeps me out.
NO nothing like that.

BTW You may not get TSA pre-check on every flight. Wife and I have flown several times where one of us get TSAPC and the other does not... It will be printed on your boarding pass (or not!)

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:22 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,909,684 times
I would say that if you fly in/out of Chicago O'Hare even ONCE during the 5 years, Global Entry or PreCheck is worth it.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 6,163,226 times
After 4 of 5 recent flights resulted in my groin/crotch region getting noted on the sensor, I am getting it. Enough of that.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:57 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I would say that if you fly in/out of Chicago O'Hare even ONCE during the 5 years, Global Entry or PreCheck is worth it.
I second that emotion. IAH Houston is the same way. The lines are ridiculous. It's one of top 6 busiest airports in the US, and every time we fly out they have a maximum of three lines open, usually one or two. Why should passengers have to wait so long in the security lines because they choose to pull a Walmart?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:24 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,503,262 times
Quote:
Don't you have to let them do CIA level background checks on you and everyone you associate with though? Even though I have nothing to hide, the invasiveness creeps me out.
No, they do an FBI level background check. So unless you've been convicted of a crime or appear on a DHS watch list somewhere you have nothing to worry about. But they do take your fingerprints, which is a bit invasive. That didn't bother me personally as the feds already have files on me due to previous jobs.

And yes it is worth it. Security goes much faster (typically) and is less of a hassle. It's more like it used to be pre-9/11.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 AM

11,070 posts, read 4,865,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
No, they do an FBI level background check. So unless you've been convicted of a crime or appear on a DHS watch list somewhere you have nothing to worry about. But they do take your fingerprints, which is a bit invasive. That didn't bother me personally as the feds already have files on me due to previous jobs.

And yes it is worth it. Security goes much faster (typically) and is less of a hassle. It's more like it used to be pre-9/11.
Ah that would be worth it then. Though I'm probably ineligible, since I'm always selected for extra extensive searches as it is (looking Middle Eastern and forgetting to toss out my water bottle one time too many, I'm guessing) , so I'm probably on some list.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM

3,487 posts, read 1,915,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think family members of airline employees also get the TSA pre-check for free or anyone using a discounted (buddy/guest pass) ticket via an airline employee.
Not true, at least not for retirees and their families/friends.

Interesting thread. I had no idea a person could buy into this.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,502,579 times
You mean, pay the TSA to not scan my shoes and laptop? It saves them time and trouble and I have to pay for that? What a scam. My strategy is to show up early, wear loafers and slip my laptop out in advance. Easy-peasy.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,875,232 times
Quote:
Ah that would be worth it then. Though I'm probably ineligible, since I'm always selected for extra extensive searches as it is (looking Middle Eastern and forgetting to toss out my water bottle one time too many, I'm guessing) , so I'm probably on some list.
Well, Precheck might be a way to make sure you're not on the list.

They do a pretty extensive check though. I'm mid 40s and have had access badges for large tech companies that did checks, no problem. Had a ramp access badge for our airport to do a project (before 9/11). Had others done for a concealed carry permit, no problem. But the guy for Global Entry asked questions about some stuff going back 20 plus years and when I was a juvenile that have never come up. Like when I was 20 I had a speeding ticket that I couldn't afford to pay until a week after the court date. He was like, what's this failure to appear charge? Didn't stop me from getting approved, but man, it made for some squirmy moments while I struggled to even remember what it was. The agents had guns also and he wore it the whole time in the interview sitting across the table in a 5x7 room.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:23 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,094,286 times
Quote:
Well, then, you should DEFINITELY get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or