U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,100,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You mean, pay the TSA to not scan my shoes and laptop? It saves them time and trouble and I have to pay for that? What a scam. My strategy is to show up early, wear loafers and slip my laptop out in advance. Easy-peasy.
Sometimes, it doesn't matter HOW early you show up -- you're in a line with people who travel maybe once every 7 years and are soooo sllllooooww -- take off the belt, take of the shoes? Really? And the jewelry? Oh, okaaayy . . . . oh, my laptop has to come out? Shuffle around trying to find that little bag of toiletries. What about the medicines? Where do I put it? And then there are the families. God bless 'em, we traveled extensively with children when they were small, prior to 9/11, but we didn't have the TSA to deal with. I see a family with two kids in front of me, with a carseat and I will will flee to just about any other line.

You're not paying TSA not to scan your shoes/laptop. You're paying TSA to spend the time to do a thorough background check to prove that you aren't a threat so they don't HAVE to scan you so thoroughly.

My husband and I, before we got the trusted traveler thingy, would invariably get our boarding passes -- he'd have TSA Precheck. I wouldn't. Or I would, and he wouldn't. So heck, at that point, it's just as easy to both go through the regular line, because you still have to wait for the other. So much nicer now, and yeah, it does make me smile just a tiny bit when I can stroll through the pre-check line in 10 minutes, and the other line is 30+ minutes. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:45 PM

221 posts, read 158,663 times
Quote:
You mean, pay the TSA to not scan my shoes and laptop? It saves them time and trouble and I have to pay for that? What a scam. My strategy is to show up early, wear loafers and slip my laptop out in advance. Easy-peasy.
That's my strategy. I'm a pretty frequent flyer, and so far I haven't been tempted to spend the money on PreCheck. I wear shoes that are easy to slip off, and have a TSA-friendly laptop bag (so I don't have to remove my laptop). I'm also a fairly patient traveler. So standing in line a few minutes has never really bothered me a great deal.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,097,226 times
Timely article about the pros and cons of the programs.

The Ultimate Airport Time-Saver: Tips for Enrolling in TSA PreCheck or Global Entry

It should be noted that if you live near the Canadian border it would be worth enrolling in the Nexus program, it is only $50 and you get the same benefits as the Global Entry program

Old 01-29-2016, 01:33 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,654,477 times
I fly very infrequently (once every 3-4 YEARS) and we were upgraded to TSA Pre-check for free last year when traveling across country. Was chuffed about that since I was traveling with my kids who had never flown before.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:

It more that it saves you time and trouble. In an airport like Miami the lines can be crazy, arriving 90 minutes to 2 hours before your flight can be no guarantee that you will make your flight. Even if you are an airport that isn't that busy you never know when there can be an unexpected group that suddenly makes a normally 10 minute line turn into a one hour wait.

If you are an international traveler then Global Entry becomes invaluable. If you have ever had to go through Customs and Immigration when several flights have landed you know that it can take a long time to go through the entire process even if you have nothing to declare. I'd rather not feel like I need to rush to beat the crowd after a flight, especially if it has been a long flight. With Global Entry I know that I will either have no wait for the dedicated kiosks or a short wait. it will then take at most 5 minutes to answer the questions scan my fingerprints and I'm out the door.

Plus this is a program that you may be able to get at no cost if you carry a credit card that refunds your enrollment fee so you getting all of the benefits for nothing.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,545,497 times
Depends on the airports, totally. Even once could be worth it if you've ever missed a flight due to TSA fun and hilarity. I would do it if you are flying in and out of big hub type airports a lot.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 PM

809 posts, read 653,805 times
am i missing something?

why not just get NEXUS it's just $50 for 5 years and all the precheck benefits

http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

the 3rd column

Old 01-29-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
am i missing something?

why not just get NEXUS it's just $50 for 5 years and all the precheck benefits

http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

the 3rd column
Because it depends on how close you are to one of the enrollment centers. They are located on the US Canada border so it wouldn't make sense for most people to travel to one of them if they aren't close to one. Most would easily spend more than $50 to get to them.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:44 PM

809 posts, read 653,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Because it depends on how close you are to one of the enrollment centers. They are located on the US Canada border so it wouldn't make sense for most people to travel to one of them if they aren't close to one. Most would easily spend more than $50 to get to them.
oh ok, being in ND the CA border is pretty close

any disadvantage to NEXUS over Global-Entry, TSA prechek or SENTRI?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
oh ok, being in ND the CA border is pretty close

any disadvantage to NEXUS over Global-Entry, TSA prechek or SENTRI?
The only disadvantage are the locations of the enrollment centers and that you also have to be cleared by Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or