U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:59 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,156,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't you have to let them do CIA level background checks on you and everyone you associate with though? Even though I have nothing to hide, the invasiveness creeps me out.
No. The "interview" took one minute and consisted of asking me whether the information on my passport and driver's license was up to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:14 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No. The "interview" took one minute and consisted of asking me whether the information on my passport and driver's license was up to date.
Exactly. In fact as i recall the application itself didn't ask for more information than you would normally put down on a credit or job application. I think i had to provide more information to get my mortgage, i remember that process being very invasive. The worst thing you have to do is provide your fingerprints which makes sense since biometric data is nearly impossible to forge which really protects your identity.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:49 AM

14,693 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
That's my strategy. I'm a pretty frequent flyer, and so far I haven't been tempted to spend the money on PreCheck. I wear shoes that are easy to slip off, and have a TSA-friendly laptop bag (so I don't have to remove my laptop). I'm also a fairly patient traveler. So standing in line a few minutes has never really bothered me a great deal.
TSA friendly laptop bag? I've never heard of this. Every time I get in line, those agents are very insistent about everyone getting out their laptops. They don't mention that those with certain types of computer bags are exempt. As for the shoes, I wear flip flops, but I always get searched anyway because I'm half Indian, thus I fall into their Middle Eastern looking stereotype, despite the fact that I have a thick Texas drawl and tattoos

Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Post Since 2008 TSA has allowed "checkpoint friendly" laptop bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
TSA friendly laptop bag? I've never heard of this. Every time I get in line, those agents are very insistent about everyone getting out their laptops. They don't mention that those with certain types of computer bags are exempt.
TSA agents rarely known their own rules and policies; they've had this policy for several years, but you rarely hear an agent mention the "checkpoint friendly" laptop bags or see placards explaining the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA.gov
Starting Aug. 16, 2008 TSA began to allow laptops to remain in bags meeting "checkpoint friendly" guidelines. Not all laptop bags are "checkpoint friendly"

Old 01-31-2016, 03:48 PM

221 posts, read 158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
TSA friendly laptop bag? I've never heard of this. Every time I get in line, those agents are very insistent about everyone getting out their laptops. They don't mention that those with certain types of computer bags are exempt.
They don't bother mentioning the bags, because they know that the people who have them already know that they are exempt.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:11 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Omigod, YES, so worth it. I live in Atlanta. 'Nuff said!
Delta gave us TSA PreCheck and we were fine leaving Jacksonville, but when we were changing planes in Atlanta, there was no TSA PreCheck line. In fact, the TSA agent mocked anyone who mentioned a PreCheck line.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:48 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
If you were connecting in ATL, Why would you even leave the Secure Zone?

There is a Pre-Check line in ATL, Its at the Side Security Check Points. And as side entry off the main Check point.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM

221 posts, read 158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Delta gave us TSA PreCheck and we were fine leaving Jacksonville, but when we were changing planes in Atlanta, there was no TSA PreCheck line. In fact, the TSA agent mocked anyone who mentioned a PreCheck line.
Your post doesn't make sense. If you were just changing planes in Atlanta, there's no need to go through security.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:17 PM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
I wouldn't pay for pre-check. This is so because I generally don't wait in line long anyway (and I travel fairly frequently, including internationally) and because I've seen the pre-check lines far too often be used to accommodate all travelers, which was infuriating for me, even as one who didn't have pre-check access. Having written all of that, though, I do have pre-check privileges via my employment, so will utilize it because its "free." For no other reason, though.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Thumbs up Global entry (includes Pre ✓) was free to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I wouldn't pay for pre-check. This is so because I generally don't wait in line long anyway (and I travel fairly frequently, including internationally) and because I've seen the pre-check lines far too often be used to accommodate all travelers, which was infuriating for me, even as one who didn't have pre-check access. Having written all of that, though, I do have pre-check privileges via my employment, so will utilize it because its "free." For no other reason, though.
The utility depends on what airports you use, some are known for their long security delays. I don't know why you'd be infuriated that people are sometimes directed through the "Pre✓" line, it's all security theater in the end.

For international travelers, Global Entry is actually useful. Global Entry gets you Pre ✓, Fast re-entry through US customs, and an additional form of gov't issued photo ID. Some credit cards and some frequent flyer programs will even pay the fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Exactly. In fact as i recall the application itself didn't ask for more information than you would normally put down on a credit or job application. ... The worst thing you have to do is provide your fingerprints which makes sense since biometric data is nearly impossible to forge which really protects your identity.
Fingerprints are easy to forge, the only thing stopping people from using fakes at the Global Entry kiosk are cameras and the guys with guns hanging around the area. And it's not like the US Government has a history of failing to protect background check information from hackers, including fingerprint data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or