U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:36 PM

3,997 posts, read 3,256,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If you are an international traveler then Global Entry becomes invaluable. If you have ever had to go through Customs and Immigration when several flights have landed you know that it can take a long time to go through the entire process even if you have nothing to declare. I'd rather not feel like I need to rush to beat the crowd after a flight, especially if it has been a long flight. With Global Entry I know that I will either have no wait for the dedicated kiosks or a short wait. it will then take at most 5 minutes to answer the questions scan my fingerprints and I'm out the door.

Plus this is a program that you may be able to get at no cost if you carry a credit card that refunds your enrollment fee so you getting all of the benefits for nothing.
This. Wrote a long reply, but the above succinctly nailed it.

2015 was my first year, I detailed the story in a thread last year. Bottom line is it reduces my hassles at SeaTac, my primary ingress/egress city, immensely. One trip back from overseas validated that instantly.

Next time I cross into Canada, or Mexico, will immeasurably shorten those processes too should I travel at peak hours. Didn't do that in 2015, but I'll try one or both this year.

Unless you're too freaked out by the background check, or have legal skeletons in the closet, I'm hard-pressed to see the downside of these programs. (See Reply #33): being close to Canada, I went the Nexus route and gained reciprocity with the other programs automatically, thus saving more on enrollment since it's the cheapest application process, at this writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:46 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you were connecting in ATL, Why would you even leave the Secure Zone?

There is a Pre-Check line in ATL, Its at the Side Security Check Points. And as side entry off the main Check point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
Your post doesn't make sense. If you were just changing planes in Atlanta, there's no need to go through security.

We were confused too, but let me explain our itinerary: We traveled to Mexico City. Departing, JAX>ATL>MEX was fine, we never left the secure zone.

Coming back, we had to go through customs, had to switch from international to domestic. Once we got done with that, and went to find our gate, we were herded through security and the TSA guy adamantly assured us (and everyone else) "We don't have TSA PreCheck, we have TSA Re-Check" basically warning us to keep our mouths shut and cooperate, or it will go badly for us.

I don't remember exactly where we were, it was only the second time we'd been to ATL, but I was reading the Flyer Talk forums and it sounds like the TSAPrecheck line at terminal F is hit or miss--sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:01 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,128,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Unless you're too freaked out by the background check, or have legal skeletons in the closet, I'm hard-pressed to see the downside of these programs. (See Reply #33): being close to Canada, I went the Nexus route and gained reciprocity with the other programs automatically, thus saving more on enrollment since it's the cheapest application process, at this writing.
Why voluntarily let the government populate a database with your fingerprints and background check questions after the OPM hack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Coming back, we had to go through customs, had to switch from international to domestic. Once we got done with that, and went to find our gate, we were herded through security and the TSA guy adamantly assured us (and everyone else) "We don't have TSA PreCheck, we have TSA Re-Check" basically warning us to keep our mouths shut and cooperate, or it will go badly for us.
Aha, your previous post left out a key piece of information, originating airport was not domestic. This was just standard posturing by the TSA about how they don't trust those foreign airport workers to get security right.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,159,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Why voluntarily let the government populate a database with your fingerprints and background check questions after the OPM hack?
So I can get through security in two minutes instead of half an hour, something like 50 times a year. It's the best $75 I ever spent. I could have spent it on a steak dinner instead, but 28 minutes x 50 times a year x the 5 years it's good for equals getting 7000 minutes of my life back for $75.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 AM

7,254 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

OPM deals with federal employees and employment. It has nothing to do with TSA or Pre Check.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,128,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Quote:
OPM deals with federal employees and employment. It has nothing to do with TSA or Pre Check.
Right -- the people in the OPM files were even more sensitive than PreCheck/Global Entry subjects, yet the government failed to protect their data. To get cleared, we trusted OPM to protect personal data, including fingerprint imaging. Big mistake; they lost it all (probably to the Chinese). Now DHS wants people to volunteer similarly sensitive data, including (for Global Entry applicants) fingerprint imaging. And they say "trust us".

If OPM managed to drop the ball and leak the data and biometrics of trusted citizens who work in sensitive positions, can we believe TSA will do any better for millions of ordinary citizens?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
...doing the process for Precheck means you get it all the time on every airline.

Not true. We flew Spirit from Houston to Miami in December and even though we're both Global Entry which includes Pre-Check, we did not get Pre-Check either direction because Spirit is not a participant.

I still love my Global Entry, though, and am glad we did it. It IS a benefit when a big international flight is crammed full and lands at the same time as another big crammed full flight.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,503,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We were confused too, but let me explain our itinerary: We traveled to Mexico City. Departing, JAX>ATL>MEX was fine, we never left the secure zone.

I don't remember exactly where we were, it was only the second time we'd been to ATL, but I was reading the Flyer Talk forums and it sounds like the TSAPrecheck line at terminal F is hit or miss--sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.
That was re-entry to the secure area after immigration and customs. Only connecting international passengers end up there. You are right: there is no pre-check there.

I've never tried it but I suspect if you follow all the local arrivals and exit customs in to terminal F (the international terminal) you may be able to re-enter security there with a domestic boarding pass (altho checking bags might be complicated). There will be pre-check there, and TSA would probably be a bit more friendly. I've always hated that re-check at ATL: before they built terminal F even arriving locals had to go through it just to exit the airport!!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM

7,254 posts, read 4,139,840 times
I just flew out of TUS yesterday. The regular line had about 60 people in it. Pre Check had none. Is it worth it? Very much so. $85 for Pre Check will last you five years. $85 on your Starbucks card will last you a few weeks.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
What does pre-check look like on the boarding pass? This might be a stupid question but all the times I've traveled I only got sent to the pre-check line three times. And those three times I've never known definitively how my boarding pass was any different (I think at least twice it wasn't but they just wanted to speed the regular line up) I ask cause IF I pay for this, it would be great to know when I can count on it...since it isn't guaranteed 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or