U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
The only disadvantage are the locations of the enrollment centers and that you also have to be cleared by Canada.
So NEXUS will offer all the same privileges as GE, plus an added advantage when crossing to Canada, plus $50 cheaper? This seems intriguing. Would I also be able to interview as a US citizen while in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 03:29 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What does pre-check look like on the boarding pass? This might be a stupid question but all the times I've traveled I only got sent to the pre-check line three times. And those three times I've never known definitively how my boarding pass was any different (I think at least twice it wasn't but they just wanted to speed the regular line up) I ask cause IF I pay for this, it would be great to know when I can count on it...since it isn't guaranteed 100% of the time.
It says "TSA PreCheck" in the upper left corner.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What does pre-check look like on the boarding pass? This might be a stupid question but all the times I've traveled I only got sent to the pre-check line three times. And those three times I've never known definitively how my boarding pass was any different (I think at least twice it wasn't but they just wanted to speed the regular line up) I ask cause IF I pay for this, it would be great to know when I can count on it...since it isn't guaranteed 100% of the time.
See below. The precheck mark on a boarding pass is small, easy to miss. TSA used to sometimes sporadically give PRECHK on your boarding pass, this free precheck feature has ended.

TSA has been known to let people into the precheck line without the mark, without actually qualifying for precheck. I had this a couple of times in major airports (Chicago, Vegas, etc) when the regular lines were long. I didn't complain.

They say that with registration pre-check isn't guaranteed 100% of the time. But if you are registered, your Known Traveler Number (KTN) is included with the reservation, and there aren't any red flags (one way ticket paid for with cash, recent phone calls to your uncle Al in Syria), you will pretty much always get precheck (assuming your airline has a precheck line at your airport).

Looks like this:

Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
^Thanks! Yeah I definitely got moved over a few times to relieve the regular line, but one time it really seemed like they put me in pre-check because of my boarding pass. But I didnt see any noticeable markings. It was an e-ticket so not as easy to see but still.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 AM

30,327 posts, read 27,784,053 times
When returning home from a trip in Washington DC, my wife and I checked in at the ticket agent. I received a pre-check, she didn’t. I walked through the screening area and had to wait 20 minutes for her to get through the TSA screening. Is it worth it ~ he!! Yes…………………….

When we started planning for our next trip a few months ago, we quickly filled out the paperwork for the pre-check and the Global Entry. Of course we had to go to the local airport here and get finger printed, answer questions, and have a picture taken. Not a problem, if the big government is going to get me then bring it on…………. I’d worry more about FaceBook and all the other websites that have information on me more than the government.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,502,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’d worry more about FaceBook and all the other websites that have information on me more than the government.

Heard of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)?

OPM Hack: Government Finally Starts Notifying 21.5 Million Victims - NBC News

Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 PM

18,852 posts, read 13,597,069 times
I'd pay for global entry over precheck, amex credits you the money back if you have and use your platinum card to pay for it

Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
OTOH, since OPM already lost all my data and biometrics, what more do I have to lose by giving it to CBP for a Global Entry application?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'd pay for global entry over precheck, amex credits you the money back if you have and use your platinum card to pay for it
Several other "premium" credit cards, as well as some airline programs, have similar offerings.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 PM

18,852 posts, read 13,597,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
OTOH, since OPM already lost all my data and biometrics, what more do I have to lose by giving it to CBP for a Global Entry application?

Several other "premium" credit cards, as well as some airline programs, have similar offerings.

Orbitz reimbursed my wife for it come to think of it

Old 02-09-2016, 03:11 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
That was re-entry to the secure area after immigration and customs. Only connecting international passengers end up there. You are right: there is no pre-check there.

I've never tried it but I suspect if you follow all the local arrivals and exit customs in to terminal F (the international terminal) you may be able to re-enter security there with a domestic boarding pass (altho checking bags might be complicated). There will be pre-check there, and TSA would probably be a bit more friendly. I've always hated that re-check at ATL: before they built terminal F even arriving locals had to go through it just to exit the airport!!
We just had carry-on, and if we had been more savvy we might have tried this. Certainly we'll remember it if we have to connect through ATL again (which may well happen.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or