U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 PM
 
163 posts, read 111,855 times
Reputation: 187

Advertisements

Plenty of fine advice already. Just a reminder, since you haven't traveled abroad: you almost certainly need a visa for the People's Republic of China. You must apply in person at a Consulate. Check the website of the Consulate nearest you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Reputation: 11381
Yep... Vietnam, China, Myanmar all need visa ahead of time.

Laos, Cambodia visa on arrival.

Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines not needed for US citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 05:56 AM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,449,666 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That is pretty funny, you rant and rail against food from Thailand being influenced by surrounding countries, then turn that around as a positive thing for Malaysia. Malaysia has a far more diverse population culturally and has a history of colonization that one could argue brings more foreign influence to local cuisine than many other countries.

Everyone's tastes are different but to me the best food in Malaysia is at the nearest Indian restaurant, I found Malay cuisine to be quite boring. In Thailand every time I look at a menu I'm excited about a dozen different possibilities.

Every country's cuisine is going to be influenced by their neighbors, trade partners, and colonization. For some reason though Thailand is the only place I see that is obsessed with taking any food and labeling it "Thai". The best example I can give is watching a show on one of the food channels about some guy showing "authentic" Thai cuisine. Whatever that is. He was making roti prata and calling traditional Thai bread. I mean come on. Nobody is gonna try to seriously argue that roti prata is a Thai invention. Why can't he just call it what it is and say they eat a lot of roti in Thailand instead of trying to reappropriate it into some kind of authentic Thai dish. Really thats the complaint I have with Thai food. You don't see Malaysia trying to say roti prata was a malay invention.

I like traveling around Thailand, more so than I do Malaysia. The food though, I actually prefer Singapore because you can get really good Malay, Chinese and Indian food (along with lots of others). There is nothing Thailand has to offer that isn't easily replicated by a dish from one of those, probably because thats where it came from.

I do prefer the heavier spice and coconut use that Malay/Indonesian dishes use vs Thai ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Reputation: 11381
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Every country's cuisine is going to be influenced by their neighbors, trade partners, and colonization. For some reason though Thailand is the only place I see that is obsessed with taking any food and labeling it "Thai". The best example I can give is watching a show on one of the food channels about some guy showing "authentic" Thai cuisine. Whatever that is. He was making roti prata and calling traditional Thai bread. I mean come on. Nobody is gonna try to seriously argue that roti prata is a Thai invention. Why can't he just call it what it is and say they eat a lot of roti in Thailand instead of trying to reappropriate it into some kind of authentic Thai dish. Really thats the complaint I have with Thai food. You don't see Malaysia trying to say roti prata was a malay invention.
So some guy on the food channel that talked about roti prata means Thailand should be criticized for having food influenced by other regions while Malaysia should be commended for it? I'm also still puzzled as to how your bizarre hangup about who claims what food as their own in any way invalidates my opinion that Thailand has some of the best food in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I like traveling around Thailand, more so than I do Malaysia. The food though, I actually prefer Singapore because you can get really good Malay, Chinese and Indian food (along with lots of others). There is nothing Thailand has to offer that isn't easily replicated by a dish from one of those, probably because thats where it came from.
Completely agree on the Indian food in Singapore, great stuff and I usually stay in Little India since more affordable digs. Of course dishes from neighboring countries can be replicated, but bottom line you usually see different things offered in Thai restaurants and food stalls than you do on in Malaysia, Singapore, or Indonesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I do prefer the heavier spice and coconut use that Malay/Indonesian dishes use vs Thai ones.
I prefer the heavier spice and coconut use in Thai dishes, and find both Malaysian/Indonesian food poor in comparison. Best food in Malaysia is when you're sitting in an Indian restaurant. Actually I like the cheapo seafood food courts in Malaysia too, had a grilled prawn at that place on top of a parking garage in downtown Kuching that was bigger than a lobster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 04:57 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Reputation: 11381
To put this more simply and again this is just me everyone's tastes are different:

I've had times where I've been in Malaysia (or Singapore, Indonesia) and been overjoyed when I stumbled upon a Thai restaurant because I missed Thai food. I can't think of a single time where I was in Thailand wishing I could find a Malaysian joint because I missed food from Malaysia. I guess would be nice if in Thailand there was a place on every corner with roti canai for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM
 
58 posts, read 46,504 times
Reputation: 22
Default ArhamSoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Bangkok (5 days)
Southwestern Thailand (Phuket/Phang Nga/Krabi) (8 days)

Osaka-Kyoto (3 days-2 days)
Tokyo (6 days)

If enough time and money you could add in Hong Kong for a weekend.
Its too much ..What you say about Tokyo Trip ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Ahmedabad
11 posts, read 4,353 times
Reputation: 10
India is one of the best Asian country for Travel. India is famous for its culture, food, wild-life sanctuaries, beaches, hill stations and waterfalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by james287 View Post
India is one of the best Asian country for Travel. India is famous for its culture, food, wild-life sanctuaries, beaches, hill stations and waterfalls.
India is not the worst country for travel but it doesn't even close to the best Asian country for tourists.
Clean up your streets first and come again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArhamSoft View Post
Its too much ..What you say about Tokyo Trip ?
What is there to say? One of the most exciting/energizing cities this planet has to offer.
Everyone should try to visit it at least once in their lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 02:21 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What is there to say? One of the most exciting/energizing cities this planet has to offer.
Everyone should try to visit it at least once in their lifetime.
true, but unless you speak fluent Japanese, most of the excitement and energy really has nothing to do with you. The Japanese are not exactly the most open people in the world. If you go to a bar, nobody will talk to you.


6 days in Tokyo for a tourist is definitely an overkill. I would spend more time in Kyoto instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top