U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 5,862 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts who love moving across the country on a whim,

Recent graduate here who has not set down any roots and is at a loss about where to go next. I grew up on the east coast but after graduating I thought I'd try living in different parts of the country. I moved from Wyoming to Kalispell MT, to Moab, Utah.

So far none of these places has piqued my desire to set down roots but I'm getting anxious and would love to find a place to call home for a good while. I've thought about moving to Bend, OR so any advice on that would be much appreciated. I have also considered some place in Colorado or back to Montana or perhaps Asheville NC. I'm really open to anything. I love the mountains and draw a great amount of joy from spending time in the wilderness, but would also like not to live in the "middle of nowhere" again. Its fun but I miss the amenities of society. I am also on the search for a career path, so a solid job market. And most importantly a good sense of community! And a place to play a good game of ultimate frisbee.

Thank you for your time and response! I wouldnt ask for help unless I was truly at a loss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 PM

3,997 posts, read 3,258,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiseppe555 View Post
Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts who love moving across the country on a whim,

Recent graduate here who has not set down any roots and is at a loss about where to go next. I grew up on the east coast but after graduating I thought I'd try living in different parts of the country. I moved from Wyoming to Kalispell MT, to Moab, Utah.

So far none of these places has piqued my desire to set down roots but I'm getting anxious and would love to find a place to call home for a good while. I've thought about moving to Bend, OR so any advice on that would be much appreciated. I have also considered some place in Colorado or back to Montana or perhaps Asheville NC. I'm really open to anything. I love the mountains and draw a great amount of joy from spending time in the wilderness, but would also like not to live in the "middle of nowhere" again. Its fun but I miss the amenities of society. I am also on the search for a career path, so a solid job market. And most importantly a good sense of community! And a place to play a good game of ultimate frisbee.

Thank you for your time and response! I wouldnt ask for help unless I was truly at a loss!
Breeze into Bellingham, WA in the spring. I think you'll like it.

Kalispell MT seemed pretty kicked-back the few times I've been there. They like it that way, thanks for asking.

As for career, depends on your skills (a commentary for another part of the Forum). I'm a techie and do quite well in Seattle metro, but that's not quite what you're looking for and anymore most new entrants are priced out, in any of the nicer parts of town, unless you have very specific high-demand skills and are lured in by a tech major. That's just how it is these days, I may have been the last guy to start out as junior coder and work my way to Sr. manager via blood, sweat, tears, and not nearly as much raw talent as many others I've worked with. "Perseverance" and sphinx-like patience are the _only_ exceptionally useful survival skills I possess in abundance.

Yeah, when I was a recent grad, I went where I wanted and took a good decade to set down roots. No need, and there's too much to see in this great nation. My yearning was for "Out West" so I did it, end of story, and wouldn't have it any other way several decades later.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel