Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There are Monitoring systems, they Call you every at X Time, or every Day at X, or Every X hours , that if you don't reply correctly to the prompts, it Notifies someone.

We use that here @ My office on weekend when we only have a few people in the building, Every hour (I Think) it call them @ there desk, If they don't answer, or put in the correct password, it re-queues the call to call again 10 min later, or send for help.

If you don't respond to re-queued one, it Notifies everyone in the building that you did not reply. If Someone does not pick up the lost alert in a few min, it then send a alert to the 911 Center.

There are GPS Trackers that you can wear that if you/it don't move for X hours, go outside of a Defined location Grid, it notifies someone that you need help.
I think the difference here (and with other comments), is that I am still independent and I don't want to be under someone's watchful eye every day of the year.

My "submarine games" is probably a bit fantastical, if not delusional, but it does represent to how I like to conduct life. Ie, come to the surface, put up my radio masts, listen-send, down masts, submerge, go off and do other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:28 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am still independent and I don't want to be under someone's watchful eye every day of the year.

If you're notifying your "inner circle" every time you get home from the store, no, you're not really that independent; let's be honest here.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
When I'm off flying VFR, with no flight plan, My Son knows when to expect me back. If I don't come home/Contact him in X hours, He know to contact the FAA, and start a SAR Event.

But honestly there is not alot they can do to "Find" me. The range of land i could be in would be thousands of square miles. Mostly the FAA will query it Call Logs, Send a Alert out to Airfields to see if the plane is on the ramp. I guess they could try to follow my plane VFR squak from take off to where they lost it, if i was under some radar coverage.

My hope would be if i crashed, My ELT would go off so there would be a SAR open. But Depending on the crash, it might have destroyed the ELT, or the crash was not "bad" enough to set it off, but left me injured to the point I was unable to Call for help, or the Phone/Radio were destroyed/not in range.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 AM

221 posts, read 202,753 times
Goodness gracious, no. I don't feel the need to notify everyone every time I arrive home. The only time that I do is at someone's request. i.e., if I'm leaving someone's house late at night and have a long drive home, if they say "let me know that you've made it home safely" then I will send that person a text. I certainly don't need to announce it to all my friends on FB.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you're notifying your "inner circle" every time you get home from the store, no, you're not really that independent; let's be honest here.
It depends on how one looks at it.

When the message goes out that I have arrived, it is a notation that is in the past, as oppose to someone seeing where you are all the time.

By habit, I don't announce on FB that I am "Departing for the dance workshops out in Houston now! Going to have a great time!". "Mayhem" taught me the folly of that:
Allstate's Mayhem Sold The Entire Contents Of This Couple's House While They Were At The Sugar Bowl

Where I am, when I am, for the theme of this thread is announced as a past item (it's an inner circle that knows ahead of time). That's just the way I am. This weekend, for example, when I got to my hotel and found out, then and not before on the Net when I made my reservation, that they were not CHL friendly, I didn't talk to them about that policy until it became a moot point.

Is reporting my arrival a moot point? Hopefully, YES, because if I don't report it, that's when there is a problem.

I make the decision to report my position, that is being independent.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I carry detailed medical and contact information with me at all times because of my age and health.

I live alone, I travel alone. I have selected one friend who has to hear from me by email once a week, if not he goes into high gear.

When I travel, I let that same person know what day I will return, and that I will send an email or a text that day.

That's it.

Could I fall between the cracks for several days, yes. But I could never stand the self-induced paranoia of sending out constant bulletins on my whereabouts...psychologically I simply could not live in a world where I felt that was necessary. Furthermore, I'd probably end up on everyone's "nutter list."

Old 02-01-2016, 11:29 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I generally travel alone and will post something if I am on a trip saying I'm happy to be home or that I enjoyed the trip...not exactly a APB but people deduce that I'm home and OK. For me it's just a courtesy thing. I live alone and far from most relatives...and will post something every day. My close friends or relations know to check in if they don't see something for a few days.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
If I'm flying commercial, and I always do, since I haven't won Powerball yet, I let my wife know I land as a common courtesy, and we happen to like each other, but anyone else can look here.

https://flightaware.com/live/

Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Since this is in the *travel* section, I assume the question (more simply stated) is *Do you notify certain people when you arrive from somewhere other than around your city, when you arrive home*?

In my case, *yes*.

We have a habit, in our immediate circle of family and very close friends to always notify the host family, when all have arrived home.
Just something we have done for umpteen years. Some of them fly home others drive at least half a day, often two ...

And NOoooo we do not require our kids to tell us when they arrive at their home after they have gone shopping or got back from work or school.

Something left over from when the kids were teens and were allowed to drive ...
My wife tells *everybody* (!!!) to *Please drive safe* (our youngest is 29 !!!)
When she loves her children, what right do I or you have, to tell her she is crazy or otherwise ... ?
Same answer since creation day from the kids ... , *I promise !!*

When it comes to monitoring systems, I do have one case where I do use it.
My wife is 71 and still drives, every month, alone, to the next State up (4 hours drive) to visit her older brother.
I use her phone GPS system, and I have a small programme that checks her location every 20 minutes while she travels. The data received is compared and when the two locations are the same for more than 20 minutes, the programme sends me an email that she is at one place for longer than 20 minutes.
I can then check where she is and when I *see* that it is on a lonely freeway, I could then take the necessary steps to find out what is happening. She has done this for the last six years and I have been monitoring her for the last 4.
No smart phone before that. When she arrives, she calls me (NO STUPID TEXT !!!) that she arrived safely !!
For all those years, I have only received two emails and both places were a gas station. I figured they were *potty breaks* since she can make it with one tank of gas ....
I wish she would take *just a break* in between, but she usually does not !

I am also a recreational pilot and she can, if she wanted to, find out where I am at whatever moment. She has never done so as long as I can remember. Most of the time she flies *right seat* ...

Last edited by irman; 02-01-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Dafuq is this thread about? I'm completely baffled here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel