U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 PM

9,969 posts, read 5,564,269 times

Advertisements

I was at dance workshops in a distant city this weekend. Drove straight back and one of the things I first did, when I had the means to do so, was to send out a signal on social media that I was home safely.

A signal to my siblings to let them know and to those I had danced with, to let them know.

Now, aviation wise, this is not so out of line. One closes (or closed since it has been years since I have had filed one) out a flight plan. If one is in active contact with family, then once again, one has a means to let those who might be concerned know.

But when active communications is not so common or when there might be many groups, then I try to send out a broad band message, especially when I don't have phone numbers of all who might be concerned.

It is a system that might not be enough to send up search planes if I fail to note, but at least, someone might be looking eventually if I don't note. Do others follow such procedures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:47 AM

15,143 posts, read 19,188,303 times
No.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:15 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,474,139 times
No.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 AM

12,450 posts, read 18,534,086 times
No, and I would probably be irritated if I got such "signals".
Being that the dangers of driving locally are upteen-times more dangerous then flying, do you "send out a signal" each time you arrive home from shopping for groceries?

Old 02-01-2016, 07:50 AM

9,147 posts, read 17,258,124 times
I read your post 3x and don't know what your are asking....

But when I travel, family know I am, Years ago when I was traveling weekly, I did not check in with anyone when I got home.

I guess after a few days I would be missed at work.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Now, aviation wise, this is not so out of line. One closes (or closed since it has been years since I have had filed one) out a flight plan. If one is in active contact with family, then once again, one has a means to let those who might be concerned know.

But when active communications is not so common or when there might be many groups, then I try to send out a broad band message, especially when I don't have phone numbers of all who might be concerned.

It is a system that might not be enough to send up search planes if I fail to note, but at least, someone might be looking eventually if I don't note. Do others follow such procedures?

What in the world? Either you've been smoking, or I have, because I don't understand what you are asking.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What in the world? Either you've been smoking, or I have, because I don't understand what you are asking.
LOL, it took me a few times as well.

I think she is simply saying she sends a system wide text message from her cell phone (to each and everyone on her various contact lists I assume) every-time she flies and then arrives at her destination.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 AM

9,969 posts, read 5,564,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No, and I would probably be irritated if I got such "signals".
Being that the dangers of driving locally are upteen-times more dangerous then flying, do you "send out a signal" each time you arrive home from shopping for groceries?
As a matter of fact, YES!

Or at the very least, any time that I feel that if I if I went missing, it may be quite a while before someone notices. So when I go bike riding for a few hours after work, when I get back home, I'll send off a text to my brothers that I am home again, give my boss's office a call that I've checked in.

It comes from two basic things. First, decades ago when I was doing police work and reading those reports, it hit me of how long I might be missing before someone started looking for me. So I started calling my answering machine when traveling to tell it 12 hour position reports, started calling my parents at least once a week, things like that. Even today, I'll make weekly check in calls with my brothers. Sometimes I talk to them, sometimes it's just a text position report. Somethings, like an answering machine, may not initiate a search but at least for those who come looking, it can give them a starting point.

Secondly, look at it from my stand point. I live alone with just my cats, and yet, I do travel across Texas for this brother, that birthday party, those dance workshops. People who have accepted me in their family I let know when I have gotten safely home. It is as much for my peace of mind as it is for theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL, it took me a few times as well.

I think she is simply saying she sends a system wide text message from her cell phone (to each and everyone on her various contact lists I assume) every-time she flies and then arrives at her destination.
Almost. It's more when I travel and while sometimes it is my cell phone, other times like last night, it was a general broadcast on FB.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As a matter of fact, YES!

Or at the very least, any time that I feel that if I if I went missing, it may be quite a while before someone notices. So when I go bike riding for a few hours after work, when I get back home, I'll send off a text to my brothers that I am home again, give my boss's office a call that I've checked in.

It comes from two basic things. First, decades ago when I was doing police work and reading those reports, it hit me of how long I might be missing before someone started looking for me. So I started calling my answering machine when traveling to tell it 12 hour position reports, started calling my parents at least once a week, things like that. Even today, I'll make weekly check in calls with my brothers. Sometimes I talk to them, sometimes it's just a text position report. Somethings, like an answering machine, may not initiate a search but at least for those who come looking, it can give them a starting point.

Secondly, look at it from my stand point. I live alone with just my cats, and yet, I do travel across Texas for this brother, that birthday party, those dance workshops. People who have accepted me in their family I let know when I have gotten safely home. It is as much for my peace of mind as it is for theirs.

Almost. It's more when I travel and while sometimes it is my cell phone, other times like last night, it was a general broadcast on FB.
Well I think there are two things here that factor in:

a.) The type of contact - is it "pushed" (text message or phone call/message) or "pulled" (posting on your facebook page). Obviously, pushing out a message is more invasive, as one doesn't want to get a ping every moment an aquantance or casual friend has a trivial events happen in there life. If I got pings like that I would block the person. Departing a plane is a trivial event unless it's being chased by F16's.

b.) The person contacted - People may have hundreds or thousands of contacts. I don't, but I know others that add each and every person they had occasion to say hello to. Immediate family? Spouses and children, no problem you tell them when you arrive. I get that. That person you met once in a parking lot? Maybe not. Social media like facebook where people document every trivial event in there life, I don't get that phenomena at all. But people do that I understand. It's harmless...but I just don't get it. It self absorbed behavior, people don't care.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 AM

9,147 posts, read 17,258,124 times
There are Monitoring systems, they Call you every at X Time, or every Day at X, or Every X hours , that if you don't reply correctly to the prompts, it Notifies someone.

We use that here @ My office on weekend when we only have a few people in the building, Every hour (I Think) it call them @ there desk, If they don't answer, or put in the correct password, it re-queues the call to call again 10 min later, or send for help.

If you don't respond to re-queued one, it Notifies everyone in the building that you did not reply. If Someone does not pick up the lost alert in a few min, it then send a alert to the 911 Center.

There are GPS Trackers that you can wear that if you/it don't move for X hours, go outside of a Defined location Grid, it notifies someone that you need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or