U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 3,915 times

Advertisements

For people that spend a good chunk of the year outside the US, what do you do for housing in the US?

I recently changed jobs and will be spending at least a few months per year in Asia for work and travel. I'm trying to figure out a good city for me to base myself out of in the US to make this work. Affordability is the most important thing, but I also want easy access to an airport and the ability to get by without a car.

I'm a young single guy and will be working most of the time, so I mainly just need a studio to base myself out of. Any suggestions on what a good city might be? I'm leaning more toward the western part of the country, but am open minded.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jisile; 02-04-2016 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
I'm not American, but I don't understand why you'd even consider a part of the U.S. other than the West Coast if you plan on spending a good chunk of the year in Asia. Going over the Pacific is an overnight flight. You don't want to add several more hours to your trips just to get connecting flights.

LAX and SEA have the most airlines going to Asia.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:43 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm not American, but I don't understand why you'd even consider a part of the U.S. other than the West Coast if you plan on spending a good chunk of the year in Asia. Going over the Pacific is an overnight flight. You don't want to add several more hours to your trips just to get connecting flights.

LAX and SEA have the most airlines going to Asia.
The west coast can be expensive, especially for someone who isn't there most of the time.

I'm facing a similar problem. I want a place in the US, but I might not be there most of the time. So, I need a place with no or low taxes, and reasonable real estate prices. And secure, as in a high rise condo, maybe. A few hours extra for a trip to Asia is no big deal. Florida? Las Vegas?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Yea, like John said, I'm OK with being a few hours away from the west coast (e.g. Texas) given the higher cost of living.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisile View Post
For people that spend a good chunk of the year outside the US, what do you do for housing in the US?

I recently changed jobs and will be spending at least a few months per year in Asia for work and travel. I'm trying to figure out a good city for me to base myself out of in the US to make this work. Affordability is the most important thing, but I also want easy access to an airport and the ability to get by without a car.

I'm a young single guy and will be working most of the time, so I mainly just need a studio to base myself out of. Any suggestions on what a good city might be? I'm leaning more toward the western part of the country, but am open minded.

Thanks!

Las Vegas. There is NO state income tax in the state of Nevada AND there are plenty of flights out of McCarran to west coast cities as well as international flights.

Housing can be inexpensive.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Las Vegas. There is NO state income tax in the state of Nevada AND there are plenty of flights out of McCarran to west coast cities as well as international flights.

Housing can be inexpensive.
Interesting. Vegas never even crossed my mind, but you're right, that does seem like a solid option in terms of affordability and airport access. No state income tax is also awesome.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:45 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Interesting. Vegas never even crossed my mind, but you're right, that does seem like a solid option in terms of affordability and airport access. No state income tax is also awesome.
I would think that Vegas has most of what you are looking for except being able to get around without a car.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:47 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times
I would think living without a car in Las Vegas would be a pain. There are very few nonstops out of LAS to Asia; the only one I know of is Korean Airlines to Seoul a few times a week (not daily.)

Rents in LV are cheap, but you could probably find something not too much more in Chicago - I'm seeing places around Lincoln Park (very nice area) that cost around $100/mo. more than comps in Vegas. And O'Hare has nonstop service to lots and lots of Asian cities. You certainly wouldn't need a car in Chicago, and it's a fun city for singles.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:48 PM

15,209 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:

Thanks!
You may have trouble finding an affordable place near an airport but also has enough public transportation that you don't need a car....as long as you're not constantly going to the airport for back and forth trips, you may have to settle for some distance in that regard so you can have urban transportation.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I would think living without a car in Las Vegas would be a pain. There are very few nonstops out of LAS to Asia; the only one I know of is Korean Airlines to Seoul a few times a week (not daily.)

Rents in LV are cheap, but you could probably find something not too much more in Chicago - I'm seeing places around Lincoln Park (very nice area) that cost around $100/mo. more than comps in Vegas. And O'Hare has nonstop service to lots and lots of Asian cities. You certainly wouldn't need a car in Chicago, and it's a fun city for singles.
Chicago is an option I hadn't considered. I love the city, but the Lincoln Park area is pretty pricey no? Seems to be around 1k/month rent for a normal studio. I haven't researched that much though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or