U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,957,778 times

Advertisements

I worked in Canada for 7 years going from paper mill to paper mill. There are numerous places even on the Trans-Canada with no radio reception. You hit seek on either AM or FM and the radio just goes round and round. At night on AM I would listen to WWVA out of Wheeling, WV or WBZ out of Boson.

The stuff we are reminded of on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,771,871 times
IPod fixes this problem

Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 AM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
I think I heard that they do scientific experiments deep in salt mines to get away from some electronic and radio interference.

Have you considered the middle of the ocean? Some rock or atoll out in the Pacific or maybe at the southern tip of South America? Maybe some remote Aleutian island? Inaccessible Island is 28 miles south-west of Tristan de Cunha out in the Atlantic but is mostly a home to birds. It is well endowed with guano... kind of a downer for tourism. Tristan de Cunha is supposed to be the most remote human settlement....but even they seem to have the internet.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,631,616 times
Why yes I think it can most certainly be done...out there on Highway 61.

As a teenager we would go to a church camp for a week out in the Black Hills of South Dakota. No electricity, no phones, no manmade lights. I snuck in a walkman and could barely pickup a country station, but it was more likely the hills than the distance.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:02 AM

9,870 posts, read 10,125,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
During the daytime, I've driven places where I could pick up no AM or FM radio signal. I think that was somewhere in west Texas. Night time is a different story. For some reason, radio signals can travel farther at night, especially AM.
The ionosphere is a region of the upper atmosphere, where the atoms and molecules are ionized by photons coming primarily from the sun, but also from cosmic rays. During the day, the ionosphere is said to be "charged" - there are loads of free electrons bumping into each other. This charged state of the ionosphere is what causes radio waves to lose strength - a phenomenon called ionospheric absorption. At night, due to the absence of ionizing sunlight, the ions recombine and this charge is drained due to absence of a source of ionizing radiation. A small part, however, remains due to cosmic rays.

A consequence of all this is that during the day, AM radio signals can't really travel by skywave, and so travel by groundwave, diffracting around the curve of the earth. Since the ground is not a perfect electrical conductor, ground waves lose strength as they follow the earth’s surface, although this loss of signal strength is low for lower frequencies. The conductivity of the surface affects propagation of groundwaves - that means if the groundwave is travelling over water, it will travel further for the same loss in signal strength.

However, after sunset, the the AM radio signals can bounce off the bottom of the ionosphere and head back towards the earth as if they were reflected by a mirror. These 'hops' are quite large. The surface of the earth and the ionosphere form a kind of waveguide in which the AM radio signals can travel. The range using skywave is often much larger than it is using groundwave, which is why AM radio stations can be heard much farther from their point of origin during the night than during the day. Since skywave propagation depends on the state of the ionosphere, it should be sensitive to ionospheric disturbances caused by solar flares or geomagnetic storms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I guess those with satellite radio no longer have the problem.
Most AM radio receivers are able to reproduce frequencies only up to 5kHz or less. Now the top key on a piano is 4.186kHz for standard tuning, which means you can reproduce most music, but you lose the richness from the overtones. So FM has pretty much replaced AM for music.

Norway is going to eliminate FM broadcasting by 2017, and go completely to digital broadcasting. The bandwidth will be reused to improve the general economy. In the Americas, the FM band is between TV channels #2-#6 and #7-#13. The old VHF channels 2-13 are unsuitable for digital broadcast, and in an ideal world would also also be abandoned.

In USA, the UHF band, which comprises channels 14 through 83 and occupies frequencies between 470 and 890 MHz is of more value commercially, and hence the channels are being repurposed

Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 AM

9,813 posts, read 5,488,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How many of you have been to a place SO remote that the entire radio dial has NOTHING, I mean, literally NOTHING? I have been to lots of semi-remote places between cities, but there always seems to be something, either due to a small city nearby, or one of the big high powers from 100 miles away. I have never been to a place with NO radio or TV at all.

Would the Canadian Arctic work maybe? An uninhabited remote island?
Any tunnel under the water.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 AM

8,105 posts, read 7,075,695 times
I once had a job at a resort and early on when I started I had worked for two weeks and the clock radio never woke me up one morning and I was suppose to be on the job, so they fired me ....... There was no radio that morning ....... So I went back to civilization and used that radio clock for fifteen years with no incident

Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM

366 posts, read 300,761 times
When you drive certain remote parts of Northern California above Sacramento, all you'll hear is religious and Spanish speaking stations. Especially between Willows and Sacramento. When you hit Williams...this is when you start picking up the city stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or