U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,184,293 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is worth it unless the upgrade fee is less than $100. If I'm exhausted, a nicer seat is welcome, but otherwise unnecessary.

I do all of my international travel in first/business and that is certainly worth it (even though it is a work perk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:02 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,046,217 times
If it's a cheap (or free) upgrade then why not? Little creature comforts can make an uncomfortable, impatient traveller into a happy, relaxed one.

Paying for "premium" economy or business class might be worth it for someone who needs the extra legroom. Or extra breathing room on a long haul flight. A few extra inches make a huge difference under those circumstances.

Although, it does add quite a bit to the airfare on many flights. It kind of floors me, actually, how much of a difference there can be in the fares, when, as others have already said, you're still all packed into a long narrow metal tube full of stale air.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM

151 posts, read 119,598 times
I'll fly first class if it's a long trip.. Comfort beats money IMO. But for a short flight? Meh.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,495,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
Every time I fly I always get a kick out of the effort people make to get up to first class. It seems like the upgrade game is really just not worth it to me. The seats are not all that large, the food pretty average and I see lots of kids and dogs up in first class too.

Domestic First class is nothing special. (International first class could be in a wide body flight with the sleeper seats, etc.) Agree?
It depends on you. I don't lift a hand to play the "upgrade game". On most of my domestic flights, the economy exit rows have (by FAR) the most legroom, and half the time I get free booze riding in economy anyway, but I'd still rather fly in F, get free booze and dinner, and get out of the plane first.

On some flights, the F price differential is not that much anyway. I don't know why more people don't buy it. I'm not complaining, though. I like buying an economy ticket and enjoying the service in F.

Out of my last 200 segments in F, I struggled to remember ONE kid and a Jack Russell Terrier. The dog was a champ, and the kid slept the whole way. If you are flying enough to qualify for a F upgrade, you probably already have the tools of the trade to ignore anything that keeps you from enjoying the ride.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:13 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,502,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Out of my last 200 segments in F, I struggled to remember ONE kid and a Jack Russell Terrier. The dog was a champ, and the kid slept the whole way. If you are flying enough to qualify for a F upgrade, you probably already have the tools of the trade to ignore anything that keeps you from enjoying the ride.
We have taken our 10 year old with us in first class from time to time. But then we also expect our child to behave herself when out in public.

I was once asked, on an international flight, to switch from business to first class so that a first class passenger could bring her dog with her. Apparently the carrier would not fit underneath the first class seat, but did fit under the seats in business class. I gladly accepted. This was on a 777 when the plane was still very new to the fleet.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 AM

130 posts, read 92,726 times
I was checking in online 24 hours before the flight for our vacation to the west coast (from our home on the east coast) a few months ago and the airline said I could upgrade to first class for an extra $260.00 At first I thought about it but realized that was $260 each way for both my wife and I. $260X 4= $1040.00

I came back down to earth and thought that if we suffered through the five hour flight in economy class we sure could stay at some beautiful hotels, see all kinds of interesting things and eat at some great restaurants for the extra $1040.00

Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,692,102 times
Quote:
Every time I fly I always get a kick out of the effort people make to get up to first class. It seems like the upgrade game is really just not worth it to me. The seats are not all that large, the food pretty average and I see lots of kids and dogs up in first class too.

Domestic First class is nothing special. (International first class could be in a wide body flight with the sleeper seats, etc.) Agree?

You must not have ever actually been in a First Class seat for a flight.

First Class is desirable for many reasons. One is free baggage. Another is free drinks and snacks, and immediate service upon boarding the plane, and ongoing service throughout the flight. Another is bigger leather seats, blankets, more legroom, etc.

I will always fly first-class from now on.

I have never seen a child or a dog in first class and I fly a lot.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times
Quote:
I was checking in online 24 hours before the flight for our vacation to the west coast (from our home on the east coast) a few months ago and the airline said I could upgrade to first class for an extra $260.00 At first I thought about it but realized that was $260 each way for both my wife and I. $260X 4= $1040.00

I came back down to earth and thought that if we suffered through the five hour flight in economy class we sure could stay at some beautiful hotels, see all kinds of interesting things and eat at some great restaurants for the extra $1040.00

Do you have elite status on that airline?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
By the time you get to the flight attendant it's too late. The gate agents are who you want to sweet talk, or better yet get them something from Starbucks. I fly for free on standby and get upgraded all the time.
FA's or Gate Attendants - don't matter. It's all electronically monitored and very difficult for gate agents to circumvent "the system". You WILL NOT GET INTO FIRST CLASS unless you pay, are upgraded via your frequent flyer status, or the rare "operational upgrade" when you are bumped or coach is sold out. Don't even suggest it in a forum - you are wasting the time or the reader and gate agent with these suggestions. If you say otherwise then I will say, frankly, that you are full of it.

For one thing - domestic first class is always full, if not with payers then with frequent flyer upgrades, and with that there may be 10 or 20 frequent flyers that are on a waiting list for first and don't get there upgrades. Go the flyertalk forum to see the numerous discussions on upgrades and how seriously it's taken if a gate agent is pulling such shennanigans. A gate agent can be fired for giving it to one of there nonrev buddies.

edit however after I read your thread again - "fly for free on standby" says you are a nonrev (airline, etc. staff). Indeed I think Delta's policy is they upgrade domestic nonrevs ONLY if there is room (after all the FF upgrades are done). International I think are allowed business class.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-10-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Actually prefer First Class in Narrow Body Planes more then on Wide Bodies.

1x1 2x1 2x2's

I Get upgraded to 1st often, and few times the Gate Staff has also upgraded my Son (10y+) to be in 1st also. (He has no status), Sometimes he is in the back of the plane, I'm in First.

I don't have a problem with Kids and/or Dogs in 1st as long as they (or there owners/parents) control them. I don't want a screaming baby in 1st. or a dog running all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or