U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,183,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah KLM in AMS I am not surprised. I struggle with them to even recognize my plat status at check-in. I was waiting for my sky club access and that yellow priority tag on my luggage and I have to remind them of that. I'm like "wait a second, doesn't my status pop up on your screen?". Apparantly not, or they just don't care.

But I think the scope of this thread is domestic US flights anyways.
I don't know what their problem is out there in AMS, but yeah, getting a little off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
You wouldn't have a clue who's claiming the 1st class seats, Mr Elite Flyer. It's not like an employee is going to advertise they're flying in first class. If you come across as an "elite flyer" to the gate agents like you do in this thread it's no wonder you don't get upgraded. Those poor gate agents would put you in the cargo compartment if they could.
Wow! Taking it so personal...

I don't advertise my status, not even with those "brag tags" since they removed luggage contact info from it. As I said your name pops up or it doesn't. All check in done virtually anyways, the only contact I need with ground staff is to check-in my luggage with the baggage handling crew and no contact needed at the gate at all except a quick wave-by with my boarding pass. I also don't question who gets upgrades, again it's a virtual process, but it is a common discussion in the flyertalk forum as I said. I know who gets first class seats - I told you in my second post on this thread - paying customers, elite ff's, op-ups, and ONLY if there is space - non-revs.

But your lack of knowledge on even the basics of the check-in process tells me everything I need to know about the legitimacy of your claims. You basically have two people that are saying in so many words that your claims are doubtful.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-10-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 02:25 PM

201 posts, read 143,041 times
Quote:
Wow! Taking it so personal...

I don't advertise my status, not even with those "brag tags" since they removed luggage contact info from it. As I said your name pops up or it doesn't. All check in done virtually anyways, the only contact I need with ground staff is to check-in my luggage with the baggage handling crew and no contact needed at the gate at all except a quick wave-by with my boarding pass. I also don't question who gets upgrades, again it's a virtual process, but it is a common discussion in the flyertalk forum as I said. I know who gets first class seats - I told you in my second post on this thread - paying customers, elite ff's, op-ups, and ONLY if there is space - non-revs.

But your lack of knowledge on even the basics of the check-in process tells me everything I need to know about the legitimacy of your claims. You basically have two people that are saying in so many words that your claims are doubtful.
Lol. I obviously know more about the process than you. Have fun back in economy.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,691,758 times
Agreed. My rule of thumb is: If I don't expect to sleep, I don't need an upgrade. I prefer to save my money and/or air miles for the future.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
Lol. I obviously know more about the process than you. Have fun back in economy.
I don't particularly have fun in either first or economy flying as part of my job, and economy international is always coach, or (small upgrade) what they call "Delta Comfort" class - reference post 1 in this thread where I talk about the "stuffy metal tube". But my wife loves it when I cash in my frequent flyer miles for business class tickets to Europe and Asia every year. Last year we went to Hong Kong and Singapore - all first/business.
yeah we had fun ...thanks for asking...and thank you Delta.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,831,308 times
When traveling on my own dime, I can't justify the cost of First class on a narrow-body for a flight less than 4 hours. Sure, I'll take the occasional upgrade when I can get it, but the margin of improvement is just so small I can't justify doubling the ticket price. A fair amount of the time I'll be lucky enough to get an exit row seat which is close enough.

My objection really isn't the money, it's what I get for it ie: barely anything.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
No, not really worth it.

I don't upgrade. I pay for it.

To Hawaii? Sure. Worth it for 8 hours each way. Fully reclining, etc.

2-3 hour flight on those smaller planes? Nope.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
The "upgrade game" is free and automatic for frequent flyers, you just get it or you don't, based on your frequent flyer status and what you paid. You don't play the "game" - those days you can sweet talk a flight attendant into getting up front are long gone and first is almost always full and with that there are many frequent flyers that don't get the upgrade and end up in back. SOmetimes you can find discounts for an upgrade however.

Don't see many dogs or kids up front. Mostly on weekdays during business hours it's the aforementioned businessmen/frequent flyers. Apparantly however the "comfort animal" medical status is being abused more and more to let dogs on planes.

But yeah, it's still flying in a stuffy metal tube. It's no big deal to me domestically. The adult beverages help the experience however. International is better - lie flat seats, etc. but it's still the stuffy metal tube experience.

If I've ever seen an empty seat in First, it's been decades ago. There is always a list of people wanting to upgrade to First at the gate. Just saw one two days ago.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,091,576 times
Depends.

If you have the disposable income and first class amenities (space, food/beverage/service, priority airport access and boarding, priority baggage) are important, then yes.

If you have the points/status, it's basically free.

If you are moving substantial quantities of baggage, it's extremely worth it.

I am re-locating from New Zealand to the US. My business ticket Auckland-LA cost the same as economy + extra baggage. I am bringing 2 carry-ons and 3 checked bags. Two of the checked bags will weigh over 60 pounds.

But I am flying to the East Coast from LA. An economy ticket from LA to Florida cost $140. First was $450. Surely it's not worth it at triple the price. Au contraire.

In economy, there are no complimentary checked bags (ticket is with American Airlines). In First, I get 3 at 70 pounds a piece. The economy checked baggage charges per bag up to 50 pounds:
1st: $25
2nd $35
3rd: $150

So we're at $210 + $140 = $350. But what about overweight charges for my two bags at 60-ish pounds?
Well that's $100 x 2. Now we're at $550.

So I'll take my larger seat, any catering I might want, and a more pleasant experience. And I'll put the $100 to good use. This happened before when I was flying NY--> Florida on my way out to Auckland (long story). Delta first class was $300 versus $180 in economy. Again, the baggage made it worthwhile.

Given what it costs to ship 200 pounds of stuff, US domestic first class is a steal for anyone moving a significant distance. 210 pounds split between three pieces is incredible.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If I've ever seen an empty seat in First, it's been decades ago. There is always a list of people wanting to upgrade to First at the gate. Just saw one two days ago.
That is my experience as well.
I've flown out of Atlanta before on a week day and seen 50 or more frequent flyers on the upgrade list waiting, most who of course end up in back.
That's another reason I cast doubt on the 'always upgraded if I buy the gate agent a starbuck coffee' non-rev guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or