U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:53 PM

5,548 posts, read 8,890,478 times

Advertisements

I might also add it is really nice on narrow body jets with a 1-2 setup in first class when you can get a seat on the "1" side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM

18,852 posts, read 13,597,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I might also add it is really nice on narrow body jets with a 1-2 setup in first class when you can get a seat on the "1" side.
I'm flying united on a plane like that tomorrow. They are offering premier access for 59.00 for they flight or first class for 59.00 hmmm

Old 02-16-2016, 02:16 PM

951 posts, read 1,779,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Minor digression here... I'm a relatively unsophisticated flyer (I'm used to frequent short "puddle jumpers", not the long haul flights...). But when I've flown long haul, I was ignorant (or sly?) enough to intentionally book window seats.

Why? So that I wouldn't have to keep interrupting my naps to get up and let other passengers walk by to get to the bathroom, and also, I had room to slouch against the window to sleep. Not as much legroom as the aisle, I know. But no one was kicking my legs out of the way as they walked down the aisle, either.

Window seats rock. That is all.
Well, the aisle isn't for you feet anyway, it's a walkway for passengers, cabin crew and carts. I get very frustrated when I trip over peoples feet when walking to the bathroom on an overnight flight. Doubly annoyed when said offending passenger growls at me for not seeing their feet stuck out into the aisle on a dark plane.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 553,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That is my experience as well.
I've flown out of Atlanta before on a week day and seen 50 or more frequent flyers on the upgrade list waiting, most who of course end up in back.
That's another reason I cast doubt on the 'always upgraded if I buy the gate agent a starbuck coffee' non-rev guy.
The people that claim to be able to schmooze a flight attendant or gate agent to get into first class are full of crap. Maybe a few decades ago this would work, but the system is not setup that way now. A nonrev that claims to get upgraded this way on an internet forum is lying their a** off.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:04 PM

476 posts, read 509,844 times
I upgrade if flying on Alaskan for more than a 5 hour flight. If there is first class available, you call 24 hours prior to the flight and pay $150. So its pretty good since that includes better meals, the entertainment device, and alcohol if you drink.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM

201 posts, read 143,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
The people that claim to be able to schmooze a flight attendant or gate agent to get into first class are full of crap. Maybe a few decades ago this would work, but the system is not setup that way now. A nonrev that claims to get upgraded this way on an internet forum is lying their a** off.
Ah, another angry elite flyer.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
We are all in agreement, as you have at least 3 of us telling the dude that 1st class is usually full regardless, and it's all electronically controlled.
As you can see above, the guy is in serious denial no matter how many of us tell him otherwise. At this point it's best just to ignore him.

Unfortunetly you are going to have some one read this and think "oh look, I can get into first class by buying the gate agent some coffee"...poor gate agent that has to put up with this.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:17 AM

201 posts, read 143,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
We are all in agreement, as you have at least 3 of us telling the dude that 1st class is usually full regardless, and it's all electronically controlled.
As you can see above, the guy is in serious denial no matter how many of us tell him otherwise. At this point it's best just to ignore him.

Unfortunetly you are going to have some one read this and think "oh look, I can get into first class by buying the gate agent some coffee"...poor gate agent that has to put up with this.
I'm in denial? Lol.

I can promise you that the poor gate agent will put me in first any chance he/she gets over you. You are the one in denial.

You have a lot to learn, elite flyer.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:32 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
I'm in denial? Lol.

I can promise you that the poor gate agent will put me in first any chance he/she gets over you. You are the one in denial.

You have a lot to learn, elite flyer.
SIGH...what is the stigma on people refusing to admit that you are wrong...at least stick to where you admitted you were "exaggerating" and you can save face if you wish...
This applies to non-revs vs. any paying passenger...i.e. - the people paying your salary.

Anyways I reference this link from FlyerTalk:
What are the rules for non-rev upgrades? - FlyerTalk Forums

It goes on for pages but this response below summarizes pretty much what 8 pages discuss:

"non-revers on positive space (generally employees who are traveling for a business purpose) are ALWAYS behind revenue standbys. There would be no circumstance under which a non - rev positive space traveler should get an upgrade before a revenue employee.

non rev space available (generally those traveling for "fun" or commuting for work) are behind non rev positive space travelers for upgrades. They are at the bottom of the list after all positive space and revenue travelers are accommodated.
"

Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM

3,486 posts, read 1,912,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
..I guess I can understand your bitterness being an elite flyer losing your seat to the non-rev mechanic.
That's not supposed to happen, so the agent or agents doing this is breaking protocol and risking their job.

Enjoy while it lasts, because it's not likely to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or