Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,514,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That is my experience as well.
I've flown out of Atlanta before on a week day and seen 50 or more frequent flyers on the upgrade list waiting, most who of course end up in back.
That's another reason I cast doubt on the 'always upgraded if I buy the gate agent a starbuck coffee' non-rev guy.
If flying out of ATL, check out the upgrade list on a flight to MSP or other former NW hub. I've seen in excess of 100 on the upgrade list and 75+ non-revs. It's obscene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,351,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If I've ever seen an empty seat in First, it's been decades ago. There is always a list of people wanting to upgrade to First at the gate. Just saw one two days ago.
I've been on flights where the main cabin was almost empty and first class was still completely full.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,337,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It depends on you. I don't lift a hand to play the "upgrade game". On most of my domestic flights, the economy exit rows have (by FAR) the most legroom, and half the time I get free booze riding in economy anyway, but I'd still rather fly in F, get free booze and dinner, and get out of the plane first.
Minor digression here... I'm a relatively unsophisticated flyer (I'm used to frequent short "puddle jumpers", not the long haul flights...). But when I've flown long haul, I was ignorant (or sly?) enough to intentionally book window seats.

Why? So that I wouldn't have to keep interrupting my naps to get up and let other passengers walk by to get to the bathroom, and also, I had room to slouch against the window to sleep. Not as much legroom as the aisle, I know. But no one was kicking my legs out of the way as they walked down the aisle, either.

Window seats rock. That is all.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 PM

201 posts, read 188,984 times
Quote:
That is my experience as well.
I've flown out of Atlanta before on a week day and seen 50 or more frequent flyers on the upgrade list waiting, most who of course end up in back.
That's another reason I cast doubt on the 'always upgraded if I buy the gate agent a starbuck coffee' non-rev guy.
I didn't say I always get upgraded, did I? Also, I don't always buy them Starbucks.

I guess I can understand your bitterness being an elite flyer losing your seat to the non-rev mechanic.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:49 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,661,933 times
I never sweat the upgrade list. If there is an offer to upgrade for a reasonable fee, I might take it.
But I am not playing the game, anymore. With all the mergers, and fewer routes, there are just too damned many elites vying for too damned few seats.
These narrow body planes are usually 2 hours about and I can put up with about anything for two hours. I book a window see, and if possible exit row, and relax.
Besides, I have changed jobs, and don't fly nearly as much as I used to, and unless I make an intercontinental trip or two, I don't get the premier miles, anymore. This year, I am just an average passenger. I forgot how different they treat you.

With no elite status anymore, I can pick whatever airline takes me where I am going for the best money. They use a lot of 737s and are pretty low key. I like that

Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,874,302 times
Quote:
FA's or Gate Attendants - don't matter. It's all electronically monitored and very difficult for gate agents to circumvent "the system". You WILL NOT GET INTO FIRST CLASS unless you pay, are upgraded via your frequent flyer status, or the rare "operational upgrade" when you are bumped or coach is sold out. Don't even suggest it in a forum - you are wasting the time or the reader and gate agent with these suggestions. If you say otherwise then I will say, frankly, that you are full of it.
All that is generally true, but I have gotten occasional upgrades for no other reason than that the gate agent or (in one case) FA wanted to.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,775,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
I didn't say I always get upgraded, did I?
LOL, let's look shall we, your first post on this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
...I fly for free on standby and get upgraded all the time.
I think you need to quit this thread while you are behind, because you are sinking even lower.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-13-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,775,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
All that is generally true, but I have gotten occasional upgrades for no other reason than that the gate agent or (in one case) FA wanted to.
Yeah, It happens. There are what are called Op-Ups - operational upgrades: coach seats full, equipment changes, sometimes the gate agents want to just get the flight out on time and give you the first seat they can find. Rare, but it happens.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 PM

201 posts, read 188,984 times
Quote:
LOL, let's look shall we, your first post on this thread:

I think you need to quit this thread while you are behind, because you are sinking even lower.
I didn't mean I get upgraded literally every flight.

It happens often though.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 PM

7,919 posts, read 12,617,497 times
I only take a couple of flights a year. I'm 6'6" tall and I am uncomfortable in coach. I figure the additional cost of a first class ticket is worth it (to me) even for shorter flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel