U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times

Advertisements

Going to Playa del Carmen in late April for 5 days. Will have an additional 4 days to travel before going to Playa and instead of doing the entire trip there I think I'd like to fly into a different city and then fly into Playa to meet my friends for the last 5 days of the trip.

So I need to pick somewhere to spend the first 4 days. I want to do San Miguel de Allende and am still considering this but want to have other options as well. Flight prices will play a part; to do Chicago>San Miguel>Playa>Chicago will likely run me about $800ish and I was wondering if I could do Chicago>X>Playa>Chicago where "X" is some other city rather than San Miguel. Any suggestions? I was thinking I should consider somewhere in Honduras or Guatemala....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 02:42 PM

18,852 posts, read 13,597,069 times
Are you flying to playa or cancun? Akumal is about a 30-45 min drive south of playa and is a great little town. April is a little early for the turtles to be laying eggs but you can snorkel in the bay and the near by park to see them swimming around.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 AM

8,581 posts, read 11,067,923 times
I'd just go to Merida. Enjoy the food and the colonial architecture and hit up Uxmal and Chichen Itza before getting your swerve on in Cancun.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are you flying to playa or cancun? Akumal is about a 30-45 min drive south of playa and is a great little town. April is a little early for the turtles to be laying eggs but you can snorkel in the bay and the near by park to see them swimming around.
I have definitely heard great things about Akumal but I was hoping the first city would add a little "contrast" to Playa del Carmen since that's already a popular beach destination. Which is why I was thinking San Miguel de Allende, or picking a city in a neighboring country.

But I will put it on the list...thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'd just go to Merida. Enjoy the food and the colonial architecture and hit up Uxmal and Chichen Itza before getting your swerve on in Cancun.
Have you been to Merida? What did you like about it? Would it be fairly safe for someone like me traveling solo?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Have you been to Merida? What did you like about it? Would it be fairly safe for someone like me traveling solo?
It's a great city. As safe as you get in Mexico, probably safer than Cancun due to fewer bad decisions by tourists. Historic, really a completely different type of Mexico. It's where all the cruise ships dock to go to Chichen Itza. The short cruises from Houston usually go Cozumel, Merida, Houston in four days so there's lots of tourist type infrastructure without being a beach resort.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
It's a great city. As safe as you get in Mexico, probably safer than Cancun due to fewer bad decisions by tourists. Historic, really a completely different type of Mexico. It's where all the cruise ships dock to go to Chichen Itza. The short cruises from Houston usually go Cozumel, Merida, Houston in four days so there's lots of tourist type infrastructure without being a beach resort.
Yay!

This makes an EXCELLENT suggestion considering how close it is to Playa del Carmen. I could purchase a $400 roundtrip between Chicago and Cancun. And take a cheap bus to Merida for the first few days. If I did an open jaw including San Miguel de Allende as the first stop that would be like $800.

Is it as unbearably hot as I keep hearing.....?

Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM

Duplicate post

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 02-11-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 AM

In April? It will be hot. It depends on your definition of unbarable. I'm a Canadian who lives in Texas. Some would say Texas is unbarable in the summer. I like it fine. April in the Yucatan should be high 80's for sure.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
In April? It will be hot. It depends on your definition of unbarable. I'm a Canadian who lives in Texas. Some would say Texas is unbarable in the summer. I like it fine. April in the Yucatan should be high 80's for sure.
Oh ok...well it gets that temperature in Miami but I still love that city/it never stops me from going. So I think it would be fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

Still open to Guatemala/Honduras if others have more input but putting Merida at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or