U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:03 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,283,875 times

Advertisements

Do you ever travel alone abroad as a woman? Where have you traveled to and from? Do you recommend it? Is it better to stick with a tour guide/troupe if you can afford it? And if you can't...?

I don't mind traveling alone domestically but traveling alone abroad would make me very uncomfortable... I am considering stepping outside of my comfort zone though but I just want to be safe. These are the countries I'm interested in:

-Mongolia
-Morocco
-Thailand
-Greece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 AM

505 posts, read 460,232 times
I dont know about Mongolia, but I think Morocco, Thailand and Greece are pretty safe countries to be on your own (imho, much safer than lots of USA parts)

Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 AM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Morocco can be a challenge for solo female traveler.

Not that it isn't safe or can't be done (plenty have) but there is definitely a greater gap in the unspoken social rules for male/female.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
A European country like Greece should not be a problem for a solo female traveler.

I have been to China and there it is also no problem for a solo female traveler. Isn't Mongolia part of China? Also I would guess that Thailand would be similar to China but I can't say for sure.

Morocco being a Muslim country, I too would guess would be more problematic for a female solo traveler. But this is just a guess.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A European country like Greece should not be a problem for a solo female traveler.

I have been to China and there it is also no problem for a solo female traveler. Isn't Mongolia part of China? Also I would guess that Thailand would be similar to China but I can't say for sure.

Morocco being a Muslim country, I too would guess would be more problematic for a female solo traveler. But this is just a guess.
No Mongolia isn't part of China, Inner Mongolia is.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,428,425 times
I've been to Greece, Thailand and Morocco alone (and other places abroad). I've done walking tours (usually a few hours long) in some cities but otherwise, was on my own.

I've never had any problems or threats to my safety per say, but you do need to take some precautions. In some parts of the world (hell, in the US, even) a woman travelling on her own is puzzling to some people and unfortunately, some have messed-up notions about American women. Particularly in Muslin countries, it's wise to dress conservatively, covering your arms/shoulders and legs. Never get drunk, don't call too much attention to yourself. If I am lost, I always try to ask a woman or a couple as opposed to a man or group of men.

What is your biggest fear about traveling abroad alone? I think once you identify that, it's easier to conquer it.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:14 AM

12,291 posts, read 18,405,549 times
Yes I would agree precisely with the above - all the countries listed by you OP in general are OK except perhaps Morrocco although that is a bit more westernized at least in the tourist areas. For any country however you should check locally - what may be OK in the tourist areas are discouraged in other areas. Muslim countries you really should take care, India as well. And please yes take care that what you wear to match local standards not only to avoid harassment, but as a local courtesy so that you don't offend.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:28 AM

7,681 posts, read 16,101,231 times
Between the language barrier and relatively undeveloped tourism infrastructure, Mongolia seems to me to be a place where you'd get more out of it by starting out the trip with a tour group and then finishing with a few days on your own.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:43 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,517,357 times
Yeah those countries wouldn't really be that adventurous. You'll be fine. Greece and Thailand, in particular, have loads of single women traveling alone.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:14 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,047,262 times
I've travelled alone, but not to anyplace wild or off the beaten path. I wouldn't be adventurous enough to try going it alone in a country with a profoundly conservative culture, or anywhere with a huge crime rate or danger factor... but not many people go to those areas alone or even in groups anyway.

Going it alone in Europe shouldn't be any more difficult than going to another city in the U.S. by yourself. All the amenities of civilization are all around you. Just be aware of your surroundings. Check out online info when you're planning your trip. Find out where the high crime/low crime areas are, and plan accordingly.

I think wherever you go, there will always be some people who will find it odd, or at least curious, to realize that you're travelling alone as a woman. Not very many will give you attitude in Western countries anymore, though. I once got referred to as "Madame Toute-Seule" by a tour guide in Paris. (Madame All Alone.) ...Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or