U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 PM

185 posts, read 123,531 times

Advertisements

For several years now I've rented from vrbo several times a year. However with this new service fee I will only rent from owners who do their own booking without the service fee, or rent somewhere else. It's disgusting what Expedia/HomeAway has done...it's no longer vacation rental by OWNER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:50 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,581,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
For several years now I've rented from vrbo several times a year. However with this new service fee I will only rent from owners who do their own booking without the service fee, or rent somewhere else. It's disgusting what Expedia/HomeAway has done...it's no longer vacation rental by OWNER.
Actually most of the listings now are by Property Managers, they are even listing Hotels and Motels.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, what this fee is supposed to cover is the fraudulent bookings that are rather rampant on both sites.
Sure there are a few but certainly not "Rampant". Most of the fraud originates from either Craig's List, news paper adds, or similar. I think in the vast majority of the cases if someone used common sense they would realize that it is a fraudulent listing. When the price is too good to be true, normally it is.

To read 2-4 cases in the newspaper somewhere is certainly not "Rampant"!!

Old 05-19-2016, 04:27 PM

9,893 posts, read 3,269,683 times
I have rented from VRBO/Homeaway since the very early days, about 10-15 years. We spend a lot for us and our booking fee would be 300-499 every time we book.

As such we will long longer book anything through ANY expedia owned site.

I would ask any home owners to try hard to center on another site and help it gain critical mass.

There are other sites if a few thousand join one it would have the mass to attract tens of thousands of more owners....

Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I have rented from VRBO/Homeaway since the very early days, about 10-15 years. We spend a lot for us and our booking fee would be 300-499 every time we book.

As such we will long longer book anything through ANY expedia owned site.

I would ask any home owners to try hard to center on another site and help it gain critical mass.

There are other sites if a few thousand join one it would have the mass to attract tens of thousands of more owners....
Try Vacation Home Rentals, a Trip Advisor company, Home Escape, or do a search on Facebook for a vacation rental in the area you wish to go. None of these charge a service fee. You can find a property on Home Away/VRBO that you are interested in, do a Google search on the title of the property or the lead photo and you will find that same rental listed on other non-service fee sites.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
Wow that is nuts. They already charge a fee to the property owner to list it now they want to charge vacationers.
I've done many rentals through them and will be looking elsewhere in future as I'm not paying a fee

Old 05-25-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Try Vacation Home Rentals, a Trip Advisor company, Home Escape, or do a search on Facebook for a vacation rental in the area you wish to go. None of these charge a service fee. You can find a property on Home Away/VRBO that you are interested in, do a Google search on the title of the property or the lead photo and you will find that same rental listed on other non-service fee sites.
Just tried that site. When I apply my filters, like pet friendly, every property I click on says NO Pets. So don"t think their filters work well

Old 05-25-2016, 08:37 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just tried that site. When I apply my filters, like pet friendly, every property I click on says NO Pets. So don"t think their filters work well
I'm guessing it's simply that most vacation rentals don't allow pets. Especially in areas that are primarily high rise buildings, like Miami. To a LL, pets are more trouble and risk than they are worth.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm guessing it's simply that most vacation rentals don't allow pets. Especially in areas that are primarily high rise buildings, like Miami. To a LL, pets are more trouble and risk than they are worth.
Many rentals do allow pets. Went to home away for where I want to go, applied the filter of pets allowed and many came up,it filters out those that don't.

Of course it could be that Home Away had far more listings then Home Escape.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:24 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Sure there are a few but certainly not "Rampant". Most of the fraud originates from either Craig's List, news paper adds, or similar. I think in the vast majority of the cases if someone used common sense they would realize that it is a fraudulent listing. When the price is too good to be true, normally it is.

To read 2-4 cases in the newspaper somewhere is certainly not "Rampant"!!
The VRBO scammers strike again! But can I help?

Oh no, not another VRBO phishing scam! - Elliott

A VRBO phishing scam with an unhappy ending - Elliott

Another HomeAway phishing case prompts more questions about new fees - Elliott

Was this Grand Canyon vacation rental a grand scam? - Elliott

Vacation rental phishing scams catch more travelers - Elliott

http://elliott.org/blog/case-dismiss...dnt-cover-her/

That's just from one consumer advocacy site and just the first 2 pages of search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or