Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:52 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd recommend a good, knowledgeable cruise travel agent. I'll DM you her contact info in the morning. Other than her, I do ALL my own travel planning.

Here's the thing about cruise lines: everybody has their favorite. It's very subjective, like what is your favorite flavor of ice cream. There's really no 'wrong' answer.

A good cruise agent only has one goal - to match your interests, budget and desires to the cruise that fits best so that you love cruising and come back again and again to give him or her more business.
Thanks, I actually already booked everything. The rooms at the park were all filled up (or $250+) so I grabbed one 23 miles away, which was the closest and still over $100. I'll take her contact info though. I've never been on a cruise but I have been thinking about it. Maybe next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:21 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Thanks, I actually already booked everything. The rooms at the park were all filled up (or $250+) so I grabbed one 23 miles away, which was the closest and still over $100. I'll take her contact info though. I've never been on a cruise but I have been thinking about it. Maybe next time.
I lived in AZ for 20+ years. And I'm sorry to sound like Debbie Downer; but visiting the GC and staying outside the park in Williams is not a good experience.

It's like visiting NYC but staying in Jersey. Or visiting LV but staying in Henderson.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Xanterra is the concessionaire who runs the lodging service at the Grand Canyon. DO NOT rely on the website to determine if rooms are available! Instead, CALL XANTERRA DAILY! Cancellations are always occurring, but often those released rooms get re-booked before they can be listed on the website. If you call every day, there's a reasonable chance you'll eventually get the rooms you want.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:45 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
How far are your mom and brother traveling to see you and would they want to be whisked 2/3 of the way across the country for a quick view of the Grand Canyon?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Hello,
I'm going to travel with my mom and brother in May for a few days. I'm currently on the East Coast and they're going to visit me. Last year I took them to DC and NY. This year I'm thinking of taking them to the Grand Canyon or Boston. Disneyworld and New Orleans crossed my mind, but my mom is rather conservative and I don't think she would like those places. I'm thinking of some place with nature/history. Do you have any suggestions as to what places would be good for a 60 year old woman but entertaining enough for a 23 year old (my bro)? Thanks!
If you decide to go to the Grand Canyon, you might want to also include the incredible red rock national parks in Southern Utah -- Zion and Bryce Canyon. They aren't all that far from the Grand Canyon, and while the Grand Canyon is spectacular, I find that to be the case mainly because it's so huge. In terms of sheer beauty, I don't think it compares to Bryce or Zion. Zion is just 2.5 hours from Las Vegas, and Bryce is just 1.5 hours from Zion, so they are all easily doable in a single trip. Also, in the event that you're animal lovers, you could visit Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, just across the Utah-Arizona border. It's the largest no-kill animal sanctuary anywhere in the U.S. and is in a drop dead gorgeous setting.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 PM

It's hard to please everybody but my brother would like part of the trip to be in the city and not all about nature.

I think the only other question I have is on the day we get there it will probably be around 5PM. It will still be early but probably not enough to do anything. Unless I'm wrong about that?

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 02-19-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
How far are your mom and brother traveling to see you and would they want to be whisked 2/3 of the way across the country for a quick view of the Grand Canyon?
Define "quick" vs "enough". I think 2 days at the same place is probably enough for any location but I've never been there so I wouldn't know.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I wouldn't totally discount WDW. A surprising cross section of people like it. People I would never suspect LOVE the place...me included. (on paper it is my personal idea of hell, but when I get there, I love it!).

If you stay in that yacht club or beach club its an easy walk to Epcot world show case. There is a lot of good dining and things to look at there. You could enjoy it 2 or 3 half days and not see the same thing twice. The Epcot resorts themselves have nice amenities for adults, even older adults. Taking a boat ride around the lake while fire works are going off is really nice. There is fine dining all over the place. Disney springs has some good shows and restaurants (a bus ride away).

Transportation is super easy, which is very nice.

The Floridian is the most fancy resort. It might be too late to make a reservation for this summer there. It fills up quickly. But you can get to Magic Kingdom and Epcot (but the Future world side) on the monorail.

WDW doesn't have a ton of thrill rides. Its more animation and experience. Its surprisingly fun. And they do everything really well. The shows are amazing. The fireworks are top notch. They have great dining options. A wide range of hotels and resorts. Amazing (like...amazing) employees, best of the best.

If you do go there, look and concierge level rooms. If you come back to your room a lot, I find its worth it (snacks, breakfast, wine, etc).

Having a multi generational family there is a breeze. Plan some days apart, but to meet for dinner and a show and fireworks before bed (and the 23 year old and go out and have some more fun if wanted). Get park hopper tickets.

So it doesn't sound like its on your short list, but don't count it out...worth doing an hour of research on and presenting it to mom. 23 year old will have lots of fun there (esp Hollywood studios and Disney Springs...maybe a water park too).

So if you do WDW (again, I get it isn't on your short list) planning is key, esp at high crowd times. Look at planning through tour plans.com or the like. Even peak crowd times, you can wait less then 20 minutes anywhere if you plan well.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:12 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Xanterra is the concessionaire who runs the lodging service at the Grand Canyon. DO NOT rely on the website to determine if rooms are available! Instead, CALL XANTERRA DAILY! Cancellations are always occurring, but often those released rooms get re-booked before they can be listed on the website. If you call every day, there's a reasonable chance you'll eventually get the rooms you want.
Very good advice!

Regarding adding on Zion and Bryce Canyon. It's a 300 mile drive from the SOUTH Grand Canyon. Much too far for this already too short trip. (I suspect Katzpur was thinking of going to the North side if the GC, which is only 150 miles from Zion.)

In an effort to keep everyone happy, I'd be concentrating on seeing Phoenix/Scottsdale, Sedona for nature and maybe Tucson. If you can't stay in the GC park, it's not worth the 4 hour drive.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-20-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Regarding adding on Zion and Bryce Canyon. It's a 300 mile drive from the SOUTH Grand Canyon. Much too far for this already too short trip. (I suspect Katzpur was thinking of going to the North side if the GC, which is only 150 miles from Zion.)
Yes, I definitely was thinking of the North Rim as opposed to the South Rim. I've never been to the South Rim, but I understand it's a lot more "touristy" than the South, and I prefer the less "touristy" spots myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel