Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM

130 posts, read 130,532 times

Advertisements

So I was in Mexico enjoying my vacation not paying much attention to the weather back in the United States and got an email saying the second half of my flight back to the east coast was cancelled due to the storm. I was scheduled to go back on Saturday the peak of the storm. So anyway, the airlines suggested I take the first part of my trip back home (to Dallas Texas) so I could get on the next flight (DFW to DCA) when it became available. (After the airport reopened and there were seats)

Like a dummy I did that and then was stuck in Dallas for 4 days waiting for the Washington DC airports to open. I did not have travel insurance so I sat in a tired Days Inn in 40 degree weather.

Should I have stayed in Mexico and waited it out there, or did I do the right thing and wait it out in Dallas?

Like a dummy I did not buy travel insurance.

Anyone buy travel insurance and come out great during the east coast blizzard? Tell us your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:36 AM

130 posts, read 130,532 times
No one used travel insurance during the blizzard? I understand countless people were stranded for days waiting for an open seat on the flights to the east coast. How did they pay for the hotel room they were camped out in?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Not this year, but last January we were 'stuck' in Rome for a couple of nights due to US westher issues. We both had teavel insurance, which paid both if us for our hotel room and meals. Since they reimbursed EAXH of us for the hotel romm, we actually made a bit of money on the deal.

I'll also add that Delta handled everything very well.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:00 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I was not traveling in the past month, But Except on very high cost (with high chance of a problem) I don't do Travel Insurance.

I "Self" insurance. The amount I would have paid in Travel Insurance over the years (and would not have used since there were no issues.) More then pay for the few times were plans don't go right.

If I got stuck, I would just pay for the Hotel out of pocket (or my company pocket, depending on the trip).

To your question, Yes I would take the scheduled flight to DFW, and wait it out there. Also I would be open to flying to Other Nearby cities. You wanted to go in to DCA, But how about going into IAD (Dulles), BWI. DCA due to its short runway and slot controls has a limited number of flight, and they cannot take in Wide-bodies, So there are less seats going into there.

I would also look at. can I go into PHL, EWR and take Amtrak. Richmond/Norfolk VA, Rent a car, or Get picked up.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:16 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I was not traveling in the past month, But Except on very high cost (with high chance of a problem) I don't do Travel Insurance.

I "Self" insurance. The amount I would have paid in Travel Insurance over the years (and would not have used since there were no issues.) More then pay for the few times were plans don't go right.

If I got stuck, I would just pay for the Hotel out of pocket (or my company pocket, depending on the trip).
I don't buy travel insurance to cover costs for trip delay or lost baggage. Those losses are not big enough to insure. We buy travel insurance for the medical coverage when we leave the country, particularly for DH who is on Medicare (which provides zero coverage when you leave the US) and for the trip cancellation coverage. We are 'at an age' where it makes total sense to pay for the insurance on a high cost overseas trip.

But those policies have some base coverage for delay and lost baggage and so forth. Which came in handy when we were stuck in Rome.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
I never thought of doing it, but I just got home after trying to get here since Sunday...four cancelled flights, numerous delays and a road trip with a relative to another airport and I'm here three days later.

I guess travel insurance might have paid for the hotel? It was all domestic. I'd get it for international.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Wow....I'm shocked with how many of you say you would leave such a beautiful vacation destination like the OP, to take a gamble on getting stranded somewhere not fun at all.

Yea.......being stranded 4 extra days in a tropical paradise sure sounds like an ordeal

Barring sudden death, serious injury, or illness, I have not a clue why anyone would be rushing to get home to a cold climate from Mexico in the winter.

Shaking my head.....

Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
^ Limited flights and seats from the Mexico location.

Also they don't know when they can get you out of your connection city, If everyone hold back and does not fly when they are expected to the flight from Mexico to DFW would have lots of empty seats, Once they begin flying to the East Coast Again you have have more people who want to fly out then there are seats, The ones with reservation for those flight get the seats first, so it might be few days more (day 5-7) before you actually get a seat on the plane,

Old 02-18-2016, 08:28 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
I thought I would have to do the same as you and wait four days in Fort Lauderdale, which sounded like a nightmare since it meant having to find last minute accommodations as well as a taxi (which can be really expensive in the states). And of course it would mean paying for money for having nothing to do, since everything in Florida is spread so far apart and it wouldnt even be possible to see Miami

Fortunately at the last second the travel agent told me I could postpone my Florida flight too, and I could not say "yes" quickly enough. Not only did it mean that I get to save money on the hotel (my hotel in Peru was literally 11 bucks a night) and taxis, but it also meant I got to spend extra time in a tropical paradise with my friends. Next time I will know to postpone both flights in such a case

Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Wow....I'm shocked with how many of you say you would leave such a beautiful vacation destination like the OP, to take a gamble on getting stranded somewhere not fun at all.

Yea.......being stranded 4 extra days in a tropical paradise sure sounds like an ordeal

Barring sudden death, serious injury, or illness, I have not a clue why anyone would be rushing to get home to a cold climate from Mexico in the winter.

Shaking my head.....
Obligations? Additional costs?

What an odd post.

Plus, the OP was stuck in DALLAS (no offense to Dallas).

My extra days of stranding in Vermont cost me about $400. And I really love Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel