U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:41 AM

619 posts, read 366,770 times

Advertisements

I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me like you are having panic attacks. I used to get them in my teens and it was pretty much like you are describing (the heart pounding, sweating etc) except I used to faint at the end, not vomit. Talk to your doctor / a therapist to try and get to the bottom of this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,127,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
From your description of the length of time that you are vomiting, you must be totally throwing up the contents of your stomach and then continuing to "dry heave." It sounds like a long and painful ordeal. You need to talk to a doctor, not a C-D forum.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That they said.
Many years ago I ate a shrimp cocktail at SFO (I know, I know) and spent the whole five-hour trip to Hawaii in the bathroom. You really do need to see a doctor.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,982,361 times
Rapid changes in altitude and air pressure can have very interesting effects on some people. The increase in altitude and resultant air pressure may be tolerated by your system, but on the descent, you system fails to adjust properly.

It may prove to be something as simple as taking some anti-motion sickness stuff before you get close to the destination, or even remembering to break out some chewing gum about a half hour or so before destination.

Of course it could be something fairly serious and require medical attention. As others have recommended, I'd start with a talk with your doctor.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 PM

221 posts, read 191,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My husband suffers from this. The first trip we took together was awful. He kept dry heaving in his seat. He was miserable and embarrassed. When we finally got to our hotel he was so exhausted that he needed to lay down for a few hours before we could do anything. He gets motion sickness very easily. I had him visit his Dr. and he was prescribed a Transform Scop patch. It is a small patch that you stick behind your ear. You apply it the day before your trip and it lasts 72 hours if you leave it in place. Then re-apply a new one for the trip home. Generally my husband gets about 4 or 5 depending on how long our vacation is.

On our last trip we rode the subway in NYC, my husband got sick so he ended up wearing a patch the whole time. The patch has changed everything for my husband in regards to flying. He has suffered from motion sickness his whole life. He used to get car sick often as a child. Not so much anymore as the best way to curb motion sickness is to sit in the front seat and look forward. I hope this helps! My husband said it has changed everything for him.
Thanks so much for the advice! I never really thought a doctor could do or say anything that I haven't already tried, but your post has made me decide to go to my doctor and see if there's anything they can prescribe. I get why people suggest that it's anxiety-related or a panic attack...and maybe it is. But hearing that someone else experiences similar symptoms and knowing that I too was prone to motion sickness as a child makes me think it's not all in my mind. Perhaps anxiety plays a role in it, like another poster said, it becomes sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy- being nervous it's going to happen and then it does- but I think there's more to it than that.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I perfectly know the feeling the OP describes.

It has happened to me many a time in the past when flying.

I'm ok during the flight, but it's that period of time during the landing phase when it hit me. And it's not like the plane is doing crazy landing maneuvers, just a straight line descent.

Happened a few times when I was a kid, went away for a bit when I was in my 20's, and started up again when I was in my 30's.

I think some of it may have been due to anxiety. I fear getting sick, so it became a self fulfilling prophecy during landing as my mind starts playing tricks on me. The nervousness, then one thing leads to another and my heart starts beating fast.

The past several years though I've been fine during landing (all international flights). I've flown business class so that might have helped as I don't have as much anxiety as being in cattle class. I used to take scopace, a pill form of scopaline. That stuff is very strong and didn't like the side effects so stopped. Now I take bonine which you can find in any store or online. Two chewable tablets and I'm good to go for 24 hours.

But you never know, I just might have one of those days where the old feelings of anxiety happen during landing, and goes from there.
Thanks for the medicine suggestions. I'm going to see my doctor and see if there's anything she recommends and if there's nothing she can do for me, I'll check out your suggestions. I'm willing to try anything, because while it didn't happen as frequently when I first started flying, over the past few years it has become a consistent occurrence on almost every flight I've been on. With at least one layover on each flight...it's not fun to deal with this.

I'm glad to hear someone else knows exactly what I'm describing. Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Thanks for the medicine suggestions. I'm going to see my doctor and see if there's anything she recommends and if there's nothing she can do for me, I'll check out your suggestions. I'm willing to try anything, because while it didn't happen as frequently when I first started flying, over the past few years it has become a consistent occurrence on almost every flight I've been on. With at least one layover on each flight...it's not fun to deal with this.

I'm glad to hear someone else knows exactly what I'm describing. Thanks again for your help.
It's good to see your doctor just to get her opinion and maybe some strong meds.

I think it may be a cumulative effect also. You're relatively ok during the flight itself, but after hours of flying, by the time you start to land, your mind and body have had enough of the motions and conflicting feedback and it hits you suddenly.

Sometimes you just don't know why it hits you, at least I feel that way. Some of those flights, even with the strong medications I took, I still had to fight not getting sick during landing. But like I said, last few years it's been ok, I felt relaxed during landing and didn't think about getting sick so that helped a lot.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 PM

3,498 posts, read 1,923,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I never really thought a doctor could do or say anything that I haven't already tried..
Maybe I missed it, but what have you tried? Motion sickness patch (scopolamine)? Mild anti anxiety med?

You're probably right, they won't know what to do with you, but it can't hurt to ask.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:57 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,368,226 times
I would try the anti-anxiety meds...that sounds more like what's happening!

Old 02-23-2016, 03:51 PM

1,056 posts, read 970,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me like you are having panic attacks. I used to get them in my teens and it was pretty much like you are describing (the heart pounding, sweating etc) except I used to faint at the end, not vomit. Talk to your doctor / a therapist to try and get to the bottom of this
This^^^ I easily get motion sickness and I rarely ever have symptoms on regular commercial plane flights - virtually guaranteed this is some type of anxiety issue and has little/nothing to do with motion sickness. I have had a couple of flights where I got sick or almost sick to the point of throwing up, but these flights were absolutely terrible with bad turbulence due to weather and the one time I actually threw up on a plane we bounced up and down violently for over half an hour before I finally threw up. It's the up and down motion of turbulence that makes people throw up and normally it needs to go on constantly for quite awhile to actually get people sick. The down motion of a normal landing should rarely ever be enough to make anyone throw up, even someone who is very prone to motion sickness. And someone suffering from motion sickness would throw up during the landing, not after the plane is on the ground.

If you truly were suffering from just motion sickness, you would have had that trouble from the very first time you started flying. Motion sickness isn't something that comes on over a period of time and gradually gets worse; you either have it or you don't and you will know pretty quick if you have it. Plus if it was truly motion sickness, you wouldn't have it on nearly every single flight; there would be flights where you wouldn't have issues or you would have issues during different times of the flight - not always only during landings. Do you normally get sick on carnival rides, when you ride in the back seat of a car, ride on a train or ride in a boat? People who suffer from actual motion sickness will get far more sick doing any of these activities than they will on a plane. If you've never gotten sick anywhere other than a plane, then you definitely aren't suffering from motion sickness.

Last edited by patches403; 02-23-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what have you tried? Motion sickness patch (scopolamine)? Mild anti anxiety med?

You're probably right, they won't know what to do with you, but it can't hurt to ask.
The only medicine I've tried is Dramamine. I used to have to take that a lot as a kid on car trips. It didn't really seem to help much with flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or