U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:52 PM

6,925 posts, read 3,860,588 times

Advertisements

Try some motion sickness medication. You can get it OTC at your local drug store. Since it happened before it may just be
psychosomatic... You brain tricks you into thinking it's going to happen again and... It does. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:24 PM

17,327 posts, read 10,250,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Just an update for anyone who might care...

I went to my doctor to talk about my problem. She came into the appointment ASSUMING it was phobia of flying (perhaps she briefly chatted with the nurse I had talked to or read the comments I told the receptionist when I made the appointment). After explaining to her in more detail what happens to me, she instantly said, "oh no, that's motion sickness". Which is honestly what I expected all along.

She said the patch that another poster had mentioned would be too strong for my situation and instead prescribed me two different anti-nausea meds. I'll be trying one first, and if it doesn't help I'll try the other.

Here's to hoping I have found a solution!
Would you mind sharing what the other meds are? I wouldn't mind trying something else, unless the drugs are similar to the anti histamine effect of dramamine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That still could have been anxiety related, even if you didn't/don't realize it. One does not have to be entertaining anxious thoughts to get hit by the various possible physical reactions of an anxiety attack (palpitations, sweating, nausea, etc). I know, I know. That sounds completely strange, but my anxiety often hits when I otherwise feel absolutely content.
The incidents when I was a child were definitely not anxiety related, because I had no fear of flying at all back then. I wasn't nervous at all during the flight, and I never was prone to motion sickness back then.

Later incidents when I was much older, some were related to anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
One thing that no one has mentioned is motion sickness wristbands. I know the idea may sound like pseudoscience but they really do work, and are available without a prescription. There are numerous kinds on sale through Amazon.

My husband found out about them when he ended up having major prostate issues while on a cruise. He was wearing one of those behind-the-ear patches, and apparently one of the ingredients in them can cause the prostate to greatly enlarge in men who are already having prostate issues. He had to spend the last third of our cruise wearing a catheter, since the medication in the patch made it impossible for him to urinate. The next time we took a cruise, he bought a couple of the wristbands and they worked very well.

Even if that particular complication is not an issue for the OP, I thought this information might be useful for someone else to know.
I love those wristbands. I still have the ones from Sharper Image (remember them) that gives out these electrical impulses. Works really well in my case.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 AM

221 posts, read 191,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Would you mind sharing what the other meds are? I wouldn't mind trying something else, unless the drugs are similar to the anti histamine effect of dramamine.
Just got back from my trip and the medication worked like a charm. It was metoclopramide. Took it an hour before landing on my flights and none of the symptoms I mentioned in my original post happened. It was such a relief.

The other medication I was prescribed was meclizine, but the doc said to try that only if the first one didn't work. My mom has taken meclizine before for vertigo, and she said it knocks her out so I'm glad I didn't have to try that one, as I was traveling alone.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,985,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Just got back from my trip and the medication worked like a charm. It was metoclopramide. Took it an hour before landing on my flights and none of the symptoms I mentioned in my original post happened. It was such a relief.

The other medication I was prescribed was meclizine, but the doc said to try that only if the first one didn't work. My mom has taken meclizine before for vertigo, and she said it knocks her out so I'm glad I didn't have to try that one, as I was traveling alone.
Great news!!!
And thanks for coming back to let us all know.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,814,981 times
For those who suffer from this ailment the Scopolamine patch is probably the ultimate cure.

My original wife was an extremely sensitive traveler. When we were first married we moved from NYC to Rochester NY. Probably the first time she ever flew. Sat in a row facing three other passengers. As we get set up for final...guess what? We hit the call button and got ignored for three or four minutes and blam...she went off and took out the very well dressed older couple sitting opposite to us. Felt terrible as it would have been OK if they would have gotten her a barf bag.

This went on for some years...she simply was good at motion sickness.

Then we got into sailing in S. CA. She loved it but would get sick on the dock.

Sailing circles introduced us to transderm patches...scopolamine behind the ear patches. She never barfed again.

I sailed the Baja HaHa a number of years. Basically 100 or so boats leave San Diego every year to Cabo San Lucas and for some on to French Polynesia. They have one of the world's most exclusive parties. Rock and Roll and grilled lobster on a sand spit in Bahia Maria. This is all sailors who have been at a reasonable rough sea for five days. Guess what. over half have a transderm patch behind their ear.

If something lesser works go for it. But if in doubt try scopolamine. Nothing works as well.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:40 AM

221 posts, read 191,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
For those who suffer from this ailment the Scopolamine patch is probably the ultimate cure.

If something lesser works go for it. But if in doubt try scopolamine. Nothing works as well.
I thought my doctor might suggest the scope patch. She did mention it in my appointment, but said it would be too strong for what I needed. She said it's typically prescribed for cruises or long trips. Maybe the description of my motion sickness was not severe enough for it?

Old 03-20-2016, 06:29 AM

4,003 posts, read 1,717,163 times
Glad it worked for you! I tend to get motion sickness only on flights where there is a really sharp ascent and descent. I think it must be the quick change in pressure. For example, I'm in Florida and if I have to do a change in planes through Atlanta that will almost always cause a problem. Luckily if I take the dramamine before the flight I am usually fine since those flights are usually no more than an hour. Typically I get some sort of stress-related headache as well and will add some ibuprofen with the dramamine. I've had some flights where it's just been unbearable at the end in cold weather because the plane is sweltering and we're stuck on the tarmac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or