U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:18 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times

Advertisements

With connections and early arrival for international travel, our clothes will be in our suitcases a minimum of 12 hours.

Personally, I like to pack the evening before our departure and not feel rushed the next morning. My partner packs at the last minute, an hour or two before we leave for the airport.

He contends his clothes won't wrinkle as badly if they are in the suitcase for (only) 12 hours, versus my 24 hours of pre-packing.

I concede that last-minute packing for a 2 hour trip might make sense. However, it seems to me that 12 hours versus 24 hours of clothing packed in a suitcase won't make a bit of difference in the amount of wrinkles.

BTW we are seasoned travelers and know how to pack well....rolling clothes, etc.

I can't compare results as we are of the opposite sex and our wardrobes are vastly different (skirts v. slacks) as well as our materials (silk v. cottons).

Anyone have an opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 AM

619 posts, read 365,667 times
I'm like you, I pack ahead of time. But assuming you are both adults and each responsible for their own stuff, it wouldn't matter to me how my partner packed.

Personally, I'm always worried that I will Forget something important (you know, like passports and prescription medications), so I pack everything the night before, including toothbrush and medications which I will use from the suitcase and put right back. Weird, I know, but I never forget the important stuff.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:04 PM

14,248 posts, read 14,134,918 times
Do you split your clothes between the suitcases?

We put some of ours in each case, in case (Oh the English language!) one were to get lost in transit.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
I pack about 4-5 days in advance, then gradually pull stuff out up until time to leave, as I tend to overpack (moreso if I wait until the last minute). If we are both checking bags, we also split our clothes between the two suitcases just in case one gets lost. After a lost bag incident in Rome, we learned that lesson the hard way!!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 AM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I'm like you, I pack ahead of time. But assuming you are both adults and each responsible for their own stuff, it wouldn't matter to me how my partner packed.

Personally, I'm always worried that I will Forget something important (you know, like passports and prescription medications), so I pack everything the night before, including toothbrush and medications which I will use from the suitcase and put right back. Weird, I know, but I never forget the important stuff.
You are not leaving those meds in a checked bag, right?

Old 02-22-2016, 03:59 PM

15,781 posts, read 9,526,809 times
I have a standard packing list and, if leaving early in the morning, I'd pack most stuff the night before and finish in the morning. I'm a relatively light packer and rarely need fancy clothes. I don't roll my clothes - pack them flat. If it's a piece that might wrinkle too much, I use tissue paper. Like clothing stores use. Totally helps.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM

16 posts, read 9,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
With connections and early arrival for international travel, our clothes will be in our suitcases a minimum of 12 hours.

Personally, I like to pack the evening before our departure and not feel rushed the next morning. My partner packs at the last minute, an hour or two before we leave for the airport.

He contends his clothes won't wrinkle as badly if they are in the suitcase for (only) 12 hours, versus my 24 hours of pre-packing.

I concede that last-minute packing for a 2 hour trip might make sense. However, it seems to me that 12 hours versus 24 hours of clothing packed in a suitcase won't make a bit of difference in the amount of wrinkles.

BTW we are seasoned travelers and know how to pack well....rolling clothes, etc.

I can't compare results as we are of the opposite sex and our wardrobes are vastly different (skirts v. slacks) as well as our materials (silk v. cottons).

Anyone have an opinion on this?
If you pack the night before, you'll have time the next morning to include anything you may have forgotten. If you wait until the last minute, you may not be ready in time. I made the mistake of waiting until too close to departure time, and barely made my plane. Your husband sounds like he may be a procrastinator, and is trying to justify that.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:57 PM

16 posts, read 9,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I have a standard packing list and, if leaving early in the morning, I'd pack most stuff the night before and finish in the morning. I'm a relatively light packer and rarely need fancy clothes. I don't roll my clothes - pack them flat. If it's a piece that might wrinkle too much, I use tissue paper. Like clothing stores use. Totally helps.
I saw a TV show on how to pack to prevent wrinkles. The secret was using either tissue paper between folds, or plastic dry-cleaner bags will do the same.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:02 PM

18,850 posts, read 13,597,069 times
I don't think you will have a wrinkle difference between the two timeframes. How you pack will have an impact

Old 02-22-2016, 05:03 PM

15,781 posts, read 9,526,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_Mom View Post
I saw a TV show on how to pack to prevent wrinkles. The secret was using either tissue paper between folds, or plastic dry-cleaner bags will do the same.
Yep if I take a dress or long skirt it's usually in a dry cleaning bag. I've even used plastic grocery bags in a pinch. So many people - including frequent travelers - are unaware of this little trick. It's my favorite packing tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or