U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2016, 03:35 PM
 
1,199 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Reputation: 467

Advertisements

quick background info:

29 years old.

travelling solo for the first time ever (gf and friends can't come).

just got a new job offer and want to travel a bit between ending the old and starting the new.

already have a ski trip to Utah planned the day after I end old job, but I return back to NYC bright and early Monday morning and don't start my new job until the following Monday.

there are plenty of relatively affordable flights (<$300 round trip) out of NYC to some interesting destinations and I think I have narrowed it down just a bit.

here are my choices as of now:
Miami (mainly for the warmth and the beach after a few days of skiing)
San Juan, PR (ditto)
Denver (never been and really like what I've seen of CO.)
New Orleans (been there, but LOVED it)
Chicago (never been, quick and cheap flight)
Las Vegas (only on there b/c I'd be able to meet an old college buddy. I like it, but been there, done that)

i love the sun, sand and surf but i also wouldn't mind exploring a new city or one that i've only been to once.

i am apprehensive though, b/c i've never traveled alone.

probably will AirBnB it.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
Reputation: 1670
You don't say when the timeframe is so going a little on assumptions of it being in the next month or so...

I'd rule out Chicago and Denver. Cold and not diverse enough from where you're coming from. Maybe in the spring or summer.

Las Vegas out. You're not even excited. Pass. haha

New Orleans would give you the warmer weather but I like it better with friends going versus solo.

That leaves Miami and San Juan. Both give you what you really want. If you're just wanting to really chill and not explore a lot, I'd vote Miami. If you are more active and want to get out and really explore, I'd go with San Juan. Either would be fun.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM
 
1,199 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You don't say when the timeframe is so going a little on assumptions of it being in the next month or so...

I'd rule out Chicago and Denver. Cold and not diverse enough from where you're coming from. Maybe in the spring or summer.

Las Vegas out. You're not even excited. Pass. haha

New Orleans would give you the warmer weather but I like it better with friends going versus solo.

That leaves Miami and San Juan. Both give you what you really want. If you're just wanting to really chill and not explore a lot, I'd vote Miami. If you are more active and want to get out and really explore, I'd go with San Juan. Either would be fun.

Good luck!
thanks a ton and yes i'd be going 4-5 days the week of 3/7

i am just a little apprehensive going down to PR solo and staying in a random AirBnB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM
 
146 posts, read 103,603 times
Reputation: 185
I would definitely do either Miami or San Juan (PR). You mentioned surfing, Rincon in the western coast is the prime spot for that during the winter months. Another plus, is that temperature in PR is always in the low eighties even in the winter months. Imagine how fully-charged your battery will be after spending three to four days surfing and soaking in the hot Caribbean sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
Reputation: 1670
If you're adventurous and don't mind doing things on your own I'd pick San Juan, or Puerto Rico in general (not necessarily just San Juan). However, if you just want a nice beach, good drinks and to chill I'd pick Miami. It's certainly the safer option in that you'll get a pretty expected experience. I like both places but if it was me going solo I'd lean towards Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 AM
 
1,199 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
I would definitely do either Miami or San Juan (PR). You mentioned surfing, Rincon in the western coast is the prime spot for that during the winter months. Another plus, is that temperature in PR is always in the low eighties even in the winter months. Imagine how fully-charged your battery will be after spending three to four days surfing and soaking in the hot Caribbean sun.
would love to go out to Rincon but issue is i'm not sure i wanted the added expense of renting a vehicle.

is it a relatively easy island to navigate? also, any neighborhoods i should be looking for re: AirBnB and what should i steer clear of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
If you're adventurous and don't mind doing things on your own I'd pick San Juan, or Puerto Rico in general (not necessarily just San Juan). However, if you just want a nice beach, good drinks and to chill I'd pick Miami. It's certainly the safer option in that you'll get a pretty expected experience. I like both places but if it was me going solo I'd lean towards Miami.
sort of agree here but Miami just kinda seems ehhh. especially b/c i'll be there solo and it might be overrun with Spring Breakers.

is Fort Lauderdale or anywhere else in Florida a better idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
Reputation: 1670
Puerto Rico is pretty easy to navigate with similar road signs (in spanish). I will say, if you aren't a defensive driver you will definitely be like WTF at some of the things PR drivers will do. LOL I was well informed before I went so had somewhat of an understanding of what to expect but it was certainly interesting to say the least. Typical rules of the road are more like "suggestions" in PR. Again, knowing that going into it is better and you'll adjust. I am a pretty defensive driver anyways so it was fine to me but I could definitely see how it'd be very hard to adjust to for others too. The roads aren't to the quality of the US in many places but with the condition of the economy there right now that's understandable. It is a very large island though and can take a while to drive to the various sites. But again, if you like some adventure and things to see and do, it'd be more appealing than Miami.

I don't like Ft. Lauderdale any better than Miami. I was just there a few weeks ago and it's not that appealing to me. Again, just MHO. What do you want to do while at your destination? Activities, site seeing, just chilling? Florida is pretty diverse with a wide range of appeal based on what you really want out of it. Miami is pretty expensive so that probably cuts down on some of the spring break crowd.

Have you considered a cruise? You can do a short cruise and see some different sites, plenty of people to meet and activities to be a part of (or not). Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,686 posts, read 4,410,496 times
Reputation: 11639
Cancun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 AM
 
146 posts, read 103,603 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
would love to go out to Rincon but issue is i'm not sure i wanted the added expense of renting a vehicle.

is it a relatively easy island to navigate? also, any neighborhoods i should be looking for re: AirBnB and what should i steer clear of?



sort of agree here but Miami just kinda seems ehhh. especially b/c i'll be there solo and it might be overrun with Spring Breakers.

is Fort Lauderdale or anywhere else in Florida a better idea?
I just checked Alamo, a rental starting on 3/7 for five days will run you about $30 to $33/day, actually not too bad.

As to getting around, there are two main highways on the island, one running East to West (to Rincon from SJ for example takes about 2 1/4 hr) and another one running north to South from SJ to Ponce. So for the most parts it is quite easy to get around. There are some twisty and turning roads as you head into the central mountain chain that can get a bit challenging that I don't expect you will have time to venture into that area. Overall, driving in PR is fairly straightforward, except like what others have stated, you do need to watch out for some aggressive drivers.

There are plenty of B&B and short term rentals (check out Expedia VRBO, AirBnb, etc.) around Rincon and SJ. So you should have not problems getting accommodation, even though March is kind of high season there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You don't say when the timeframe is so going a little on assumptions of it being in the next month or so...

I'd rule out Chicago and Denver. Cold and not diverse enough from where you're coming from. Maybe in the spring or summer.

Las Vegas out. You're not even excited. Pass. haha

New Orleans would give you the warmer weather but I like it better with friends going versus solo.

That leaves Miami and San Juan. Both give you what you really want. If you're just wanting to really chill and not explore a lot, I'd vote Miami. If you are more active and want to get out and really explore, I'd go with San Juan. Either would be fun.

Good luck!
^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top