U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:35 AM

81 posts, read 59,811 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip in summer time and want to know which is the best place to visit where ill get the most of my money. I want a mix of nightlife, beaches, culture & food. and ofc price.

So out of mexico, cuba, costa rica, Jamaica..which is the best to travel to for a vacation ? Btw this plan is with friends and not with family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 AM

146 posts, read 103,566 times
Out of your list, Mexico will tick all your boxes, plus it is on the continent so will offer you the most variety and value.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:25 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
For the nightlife and culture I'd say either Mexico or Jamaica. If you're coming from the US, getting into Cuba could be a little trickier than you might think. Costa Rica is beautiful and if you were going with family it'd be my top choice, but not with friends looking for a good time.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,043,103 times
Where are you travelling from? Where is your original starting point? Is cost a factor?

I've heard many raves about Costa Rica and Panama, if you're looking for something that will give you opportunities to get off the beaten path. If you really want to party, probably Jamaica or Mexico. Cuba is actually pretty tame compared to most Caribbean destinations, and the food gets consistently poor reviews from people I know who've visited.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Where are you travelling from? Where is your original starting point? Is cost a factor?

I've heard many raves about Costa Rica and Panama, if you're looking for something that will give you opportunities to get off the beaten path. If you really want to party, probably Jamaica or Mexico. Cuba is actually pretty tame compared to most Caribbean destinations, and the food gets consistently poor reviews from people I know who've visited.
Based on your name you are from Canada? Just curious, do Canadians have a difficult time with immigration upon entering the country as I've read many Americans do from what you've heard from people you know that have visited?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:29 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Based on your name you are from Canada? Just curious, do Canadians have a difficult time with immigration upon entering the country as I've read many Americans do from what you've heard from people you know that have visited?
If you're talking about Cuba for this Canadian the answer would be no.. I've been to the country 3 times and never had any issues with Immigration.. Two of three times the officer didn't say one word.. The other time the officer said my name and nodded. Easy peasy..

Havana is a really fun city.. Great vibe, old cars, Spanish Colonial architecture and if you know where to go some good food. The people are an absolute riot.. Just so easy going.. Cheap rum too. Its easy to find some Cubans who will show you where the party is at

Another thing - its very very safe!

This is a great site for all things Cuba:
http://www.cuba-junky.com/

They even have a special section for USA travellers.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:34 PM

81 posts, read 59,811 times
i would be travelling from canada..with costa rica, dont ppl suggest to live in a resort but with that, dont you have to stay in the resort where its limited things to do. I want somewhere where i can explore as well as find decent places to stay closeby to the beaches/nightlife/good people...

i feel like mexico is more popular..

Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you're talking about Cuba for this Canadian the answer would be no.. I've been to the country 3 times and never had any issues with Immigration.. Two of three times the officer didn't say one word.. The other time the officer said my name and nodded. Easy peasy..

Havana is a really fun city.. Great vibe, old cars, Spanish Colonial architecture and if you know where to go some good food. The people are an absolute riot.. Just so easy going.. Cheap rum too. Its easy to find some Cubans who will show you where the party is at

Another thing - its very very safe!

This is a great site for all things Cuba:
Cuba-Junky - All About Cuba Traveler's information and reviews

They even have a special section for USA travellers.
That's cool. I'd love to visit Cuba as soon as it's open for easy US travel. With the airlines being granted access to do daily flights there it's coming soon hopefully. My pause was a recent story I read where they sent 3 Americans to Cuba and they documented not only the country but also the horrendous process of entering the country and the hours spent in immigration. Certainly not something I want to experience firsthand! lol

Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehan2390 View Post
i would be travelling from canada..with costa rica, dont ppl suggest to live in a resort but with that, dont you have to stay in the resort where its limited things to do. I want somewhere where i can explore as well as find decent places to stay closeby to the beaches/nightlife/good people...

i feel like mexico is more popular..
Absolutely no reason that you must stsy in a resort in Costa Rica! Rent a car and explore.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 AM

5,745 posts, read 4,163,343 times
Jamaica can be fun, but remember that they drive on the other side of the road if you rent a car. It can be dangerous if you find yourself in a bad area (from what I've heard), but many countries can be dangerous if you don't use your head and stick to populated areas.
Cuba was no problem for us to enter, but the food isn't good at most resorts. The people are SO friendly though. The beaches are gorgeous!
Mexico and Dominican Republic, I found them similar in beaches and people (friendly) DR is dirty, and the merchants on the beach can pester you. Mexico is much cleaner and more modern.

Have you thought of going to the US Virgin Islands? We went to St Croix and loved it. Oh, and it's another place that drives on the other side of the road. We rented a car and drove all over the Island. Beautiful!
One thing I found though were the vets that were homeless junkies. They approach you in the supermarket parking lots begging for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or