Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:15 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

This is how I think of it (in BROAD generalizations):

Penang = party
Melaka = quiet charm

Penang has resorts, B&B's and small inns
Melaka has B&B's and small inns

Penang has a beach
Melaka has a river

Both are UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Where in China?

Not to break your mind, but Panang curry isn't actually from Panang...although you MUST have Laksa. Especially after a night of one too many. It is really one of the great things in the world.
I'm headed to Beijing and then onto Malaysia.

Its funny because I google searched panang and most of the results came up with panang curry with some really enticing panang currie pics lol.. That said, I think other posters have made a good case that Panang would be a good spot for food so that is a big check.. Party city - meh..

On the flip Melaka is probably a more convenient option and I really don't want to fly within Malaysia being there for only 6 days. Flying from Toronto to Beijing (3 days there) then flying from Beijing to Malaysia (6 days there) i'm already doing a lot of flying on the trip (even if it is in business class).

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Just pick one of them and split the time with KL lol. FYI despite Penang's relatively large size and density, getting around isn't very easy. Infrastructure is one of its weaknesses, with the national govt largely to blame.
Probably go with Melaka - quiet charm has its appeals at the conclusion of Beijing and K.L bustle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This is how I think of it (in BROAD generalizations):

Penang = party
Melaka = quiet charm

Penang has resorts, B&B's and small inns
Melaka has B&B's and small inns

Penang has a beach
Melaka has a river

Both are UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Yeah - quiet charm will win the day I think. Didn't know Penang was a UNESCO W.H.S... I knew Melaka is.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-24-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Thanks again for all your contributions guys.. You've helped me to create my Malaysia checklist of things to do, eat and drink :P

Old 02-25-2016, 07:07 AM

Glad to help. If you go to Melaka, please bring a flashlight for walking at night. When you see the sidewalks, you'll understand why.

The forums on trip advisor can be terrific for local recommendations (I'm not talking about the main reviews - I'm specifically referring to the forums.)

Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Beijing is great. Three days is probably on the low side of perfect. You can cram a TON of stuff in, but you'll be still left with some wants.

Forbidden city/Tianmen Square is a good half a day. Great Wall is half to a full day. I can not emphasize this enough, go to Mutianyu, not Badaling.

Temple of Heaven and the entire park are amazing, especially for people watching. Traffic is tragic, smog is awful, but it's just an amazing city. Great setup now with the 72Hrs visa free.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_051516847_iOS.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	166221
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_194526105_iOS.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	166222

Old 02-25-2016, 11:55 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
OK, the foodie in me simply couldn't let this conversation go without comment, so please indulge me

Panang Curry has nothing to do with Penang. Penang is a state in Malaysia. Panang Curry is a dish from Thailand (whole other country), whose name has been shortened from Phanaeng.

Nonya is a cuisine born from Peranakan Culture = the Malay and Chinese people who intermarried ages ago in Malaysia. Their cuisine then became a mix of Malay and Chinese cuisines, NOT Portuguese.

As far as where to go, I usually pick a place based on food (what else?). Both KL and Penang have fantastic food. KL has everything, including Indian-Malay dishes, which is fantastic. Penang has a stronger Nonya influence in their cuisine simply because they have a lot more Peranakan folks concentrated in that area. They can be very spicy though, so you may not like it if you don't like hot spicy dishes.

The Laksa dish that another poster mentioned is a soupy spicy dish, the color of the soup is deadly red from all the chilies, so be warned. Try Char Kwee Tiau instead, a stir fry flat noodles with soy sauce base and lots of mix seafood. Also try their Chicken Rice, which is chicken cooked in aromatic broth with spices (ginger, etc), and the broth is then used to cook the rice that accompanies the chicken. Singapore would claim it as their national dish but Malaysians do it better.

If you like historical places, definitely don't miss Melacca, another state in Malaysia. You may want to bring back some ceramic tiles with peranakan design as souvenir. They're beautiful.

Last edited by graceC; 02-25-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OK, the foodie in me simply couldn't let this conversation go without comment, so please indulge me

Panang Curry has nothing to do with Penang. Penang is a state in Malaysia. Panang Curry is a dish from Thailand (whole other country), whose name has been shortened from Phanaeng.

Nonya is a cuisine born from Peranakan Culture = the Malay and Chinese people who intermarried ages ago in Malaysia. Their cuisine then became a mix of Malay and Chinese cuisines, NOT Portuguese.
Right you are! My memory confused the food with the history of the area - which absolutely includes Portuguese. My apologies for the mistake.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Singapore would claim it as their national dish but Malaysians do it better.
Those are fighting words. I love me some Boon Tong Kee. Just as long as you admit that Chili Crab in Singapore may be the actual greatest thing you can ever put in your face, we can declare detente.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Those are fighting words. I love me some Boon Tong Kee. Just as long as you admit that Chili Crab in Singapore may be the actual greatest thing you can ever put in your face, we can declare detente.
Mmm, Chili Crab, you got me there! They should call that their national dish instead since they do it so well!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
My family is from Penang and I think I just might like Singapore's better. It's hard to say...I would gladly eat either anytime.
BTW, what's really funny to me is that Singapore and Penang are in this battle over being the king of this hawker dish that is actually named after a province in China (Hainanese Chicken Rice).

Yeah...Chili Crab...mmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel