U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I will be travelling to Malaysia in June for 6 days.. I will be flying into Kuala Lumpur and definitely want to experience the culture and urbanity of the city. That said I think 6 days in KL is bit much. I'm thinking 2 or 3 days is more than enough. So the question is what to do with the other 3-4 days. Any recommendations on another must see place(s) to visit?

I prefer history/cultural/nature experiences to just another 'beach' vacation type of trip.

Anyway any suggestions/recommendations would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
I'd suggest 3 full days in KL, then tale the bus 2.5 hours south to Melaka for 2-3 days. If your adventurous enough to travel to Malaysia, I'm sure you can google and quickly discover that suggestion fits what you are describing EXACTLY.

An additional benefit is you can sample Nonya cuisine in Melaka. A fusion of Malaysian and Portuguese.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
I can't offer much about KL. I would really like to visit the city and experience its urbanity. I've spent several months of my life in KL, but 99% of it was in the suburbs and I've only been once in the past decade. I hear it has changed a lot.

That said, you'll almost certainly want to hit Malacca for history/culture. Penang would normally also be high on the list, and I know of a lot of places to hike in that northern half though names escape me. East Malaysia also offers great opportunities for nature. But with just 6 days I think you're better off with just KL + Malacca, and maybe some short stop in a nature area somewhere in between.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 PM

Well, I did not see JK's post until now but yeah...sounds about right!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Head to Penang for culture and good eats. <$50 flight.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I will be travelling to Malaysia in June for 6 days.. I will be flying into Kuala Lumpur and definitely want to experience the culture and urbanity of the city. That said I think 6 days in KL is bit much. I'm thinking 2 or 3 days is more than enough. So the question is what to do with the other 3-4 days. Any recommendations on another must see place(s) to visit?

I prefer history/cultural/nature experiences to just another 'beach' vacation type of trip.

Anyway any suggestions/recommendations would be most appreciated!
I spent 3 weeks in Malaysia a few years ago. I stayed in Penang though, we never headed to KL because the drive was too long. I'd go to Penang if I were you, it is known for their food. Hawker stalls galore. Food is MASSIVELY cheap. Make sure you get the thai iced tea, delicious & it comes in a plastic bag. You won't be disappointed there, I guarantee it.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
KL is great, Tea Tarik is like crack. Once you've had it, you'll never be the same.

If you want your big city fill, you can always hop over to Singapore on a super cheap flight, otherwise I'd agree with other posters to go to Malacca or Panang.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:25 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! It seems to be a choice between Malacca or Panang.. Hmmm choices choices lol.. Malacca was first on my list but that Panang curry is just beckoning in a strong way.... Anyway you've all helped narrow things down for me. Much appreciated.. Going to be an awesome trip China and Malaysia - can't wait......

Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Where in China?

Not to break your mind, but Panang curry isn't actually from Panang...although you MUST have Laksa. Especially after a night of one too many. It is really one of the great things in the world.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 AM

^Yeah there's no relation to the curry. Penang has amazing food though...so it's still a legit enticement...but Malacca probably isn't a slouch in this area if you're going for just a couple days. I dunno, I'm 50/50 now. Just pick one of them and split the time with KL lol. FYI despite Penang's relatively large size and density, getting around isn't very easy. Infrastructure is one of its weaknesses, with the national govt largely to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or