U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 PM

21,977 posts, read 22,231,153 times

Advertisements

After having pre-diabetes for a number of years, my husband is now officially a diabetic. He is seeing the best endocrinologist in our city, and he's given us a lot of encouragement that my husband may get back to the point where he no longer needs to use insulin. (He's now testing his blood glucose just twice a day and is ending up taking insulin once every three or four days.) We are both retired and love to travel. As a matter of fact, we have a twelve-day road trip scheduled for this coming August and a cruise to Australia and New Zealand scheduled for November. Both of these trips were planned prior to the decline in his health. What I am wondering is, how do people with diabetes handle keeping their insulin refrigerated on trips. I know we'll have a refrigerator in our cabin on the cruise ship, but we may very well be away from the ship for as many as eight hours at a time. And the flight alone (Salt Lake City to Los Angeles to Sydney) is nearly 20 hours. Are we going to have to call off these trips? I know that hundreds of thousands of people have diabetes, and many worse than my husbands. I would love to hear how travel-lovers like ourselves have been able to deal with the problem of carrying insulin with them on trips. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,103,450 times
The insulin I take can be unrefrigerated for up to 30 days. My doctor prescribed vials and syringes which are a pain to travel with so I asked for insulin pens which are much easier to travel with since you just need the pen and and the pen needles, the pens can easily be carried in your pocket when you're out and about. If your husband's insulin needs to be kept cold at all times, then there are travel pouches that come with gel packs like they have have lunch bags. TSA will usually allow these through security since they are needed for medical reasons.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 AM

34,530 posts, read 41,688,432 times
I use a thermos something like this one=
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Its kept in the fridge overnight and a few ice cubes are added prior to departure, works fine keeping my insulin refills cool for cross country trips.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM

21,977 posts, read 22,231,153 times
Thanks! I didn't even know there was such a thing as insulin that didn't need to be refrigerated, but I figured with all the diabetic travelers in the world, someone would have figured out a way around this problem.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,103,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thanks! I didn't even know there was such a thing as insulin that didn't need to be refrigerated, but I figured with all the diabetic travelers in the world, someone would have figured out a way around this problem.
If the amount you get is supposed to last for more than 30 days then it needs to be refrigerated the whole time but you can keep a pen or a vial at room temperature if it will be used up within 30 days. Just have your husband's doctor confirm that this holds true for the kind that he uses and if doesn't use pens already make sure to request them for your trip, they are way easier to travel with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or