U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 PM

5,274 posts, read 2,703,176 times

Advertisements

I use southwest chase card. I get free airlines tickets all the time, plus they send me free drink tickets all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Would I be able to get award seats when booking through Kayak or Expedia? Or do I have to book it through programs like KrisFlyer or United Mileage Plus?
Also, would I be able to earn points from miles while booking through these programs? Or do I have to book it through a specific airlines (like Avianca, etc)
No...booking awards is done through the airlines (or in certain cases the partner airlines). You cannot do it on OTAs like Expedia or Priceline. BTW, you can never book through Kayak. It always pushes you to either the airlines or the OTA that's selling for the lowest price.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,934,133 times
Quote:
Would I be able to get award seats when booking through Kayak or Expedia? Or do I have to book it through programs like KrisFlyer or United Mileage Plus?
Also, would I be able to earn points from miles while booking through these programs? Or do I have to book it through a specific airlines (like Avianca, etc)
As others said, you can only book award flights through the airline (or more generally e.g. Aeroplan, through the program's website).

To clarify about the second part -- you earn miles from flying regardless of how you booked the ticket provided the airline knows your frequent flyer #, which is sometimes a bit of a hassle as many online travel agencies do not ask for it. But I agree with the others -- except for some complicated routings involving multiple alliances or some more obscure stuff, you are better off booking directly with the airline, who will give you the same price but will be easier to deal with if anything happens.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 AM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
However, if you go through a shopping rebate web site that sends you to the actual airline website to book (e-bates, MyPoints, Swagbucks, etc.) you generally get same the FF miles and rebooking protection you get if you went straight to the airline web site without clicking through the shopping portal first.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:15 PM

189 posts, read 255,473 times
What's are the difference between Krisflyer and United Mileage Plus? Don't they allow booking to similar airlines?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:16 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Quote:
What's are the difference between Krisflyer and United Mileage Plus? Don't they allow booking to similar airlines?
Those are reward programs for their designated airlines. With the Chase Ultimate Rewards, you can transfer to either.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,934,133 times
Quote:
Yes they both allow award flights on Star Alliance airlines. You will need to compare award charts and other rules (expiration etc) to determine which one is better for you. Unless I am mistaken, Singapore doesn't open up as much award availability to its partners as it does to Krisflyer members, for premium classes anyway. So if you want to redeem on SQ for first class it may be your only option. On the other hand with UA it is very easy to keep your points from expiring, and there are plenty of CC earning options in the US.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:26 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
Quote:
Yes, they both allow you to book on Star Alliance airlines, but they are different programs that operate by different rules. The number of miles needed to book the same flight will be different, the permitted routings will be different, and you are more likely to pay fuel surcharges (an additional fee that can add several hundred dollars to the cost of an award ticket) on a Singapore Airlines award. The most significant difference for most people, though, is that all Singapore Krisflyer miles expire three years after they are earned, regardless of how much activity there has been on the account, while United Mileage Plus miles remain good indefinitely as long as there is some activity on the account yearly (which can be as simple as buying a few miles on the website, or purchasing something using the United Airlines credit card or the shopping portal; you don't have to fly to keep miles from expiring).

Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 PM

189 posts, read 255,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Yes they both allow award flights on Star Alliance airlines. You will need to compare award charts and other rules (expiration etc) to determine which one is better for you. Unless I am mistaken, Singapore doesn't open up as much award availability to its partners as it does to Krisflyer members, for premium classes anyway. So if you want to redeem on SQ for first class it may be your only option. On the other hand with UA it is very easy to keep your points from expiring, and there are plenty of CC earning options in the US.
So if I wanted to book an Avianca flight that I would pay by credit card (not through awards), would it be better to book through Krisflyer or united mileage Plus? Or just book directly from Avianca website?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Quote:
So if I wanted to book an Avianca flight that I would pay by credit card (not through awards), would it be better to book through Krisflyer or united mileage Plus? Or just book directly from Avianca website?
Depends who you want to earn the miles with. But it would make more sense to accumulate all your miles through United, so I'd book through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or