U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:15 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,569,100 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going on our first trip to the Islands. Instead of a cruise we decided we rather explore/enjoy one area to the max. So we are going to Nassau, Bahamas

Any tips, advise you have on what to do.. how best to enjoy.. how not to go broke.. how to get around.. what is a must see

It seems booking all inclusive package is better than individual book but the cost is fairly similar? So we most likely will go for all inclusive package even thought neither of us drink alcoholic beverage at all. I am actually not a beach person but my husband is a beach bum. I know he will spend most of his time at the beach but I like to explore the culture when I am in new area. I want to venture outside of the beach area, most likely by myself.

Any advise you have will be helpful. We are planning on going end of March
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,309,380 times
SKIP OVER NASSAU and go directly to the out islands!

I'd most recommend Exuma or Eleuthera for the real Bahamas. Both are just a short and inexpensive flight from Nassau, and it is well worth it when you have an almost endless number of beaches to explore, 95% of which are completely deserted!

Here is an extensive travelogue I made when I took a 3 week vacation to the Bahamas in July of 2014 and visited 9 different islands. A ton of photos and video here, so hopefully you'll get some good ideas.

http://abacoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11797

Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM

10,532 posts, read 8,458,841 times
Snorkeling is great fun, even if you've never done it before. Inexpensive masks and snorkels are locally available, and the blue-green water is crystal-clear - however, once you duck your head under, you'll see lots of tiny colorful fishes who are sharing it with you. The waters are usually calm enough that you can go out a few feet, then float along, enjoying the view below.

The sun can get quite hot in the afternoons, so plan to wear an old T-shirt over your bathing suit to avoid burning your back while you snorkel.

Historic Fort Charlotte used to have a sound and light show in the evenings - not sure if that's still the case, but it's a good place to visit, as is nearby Ardastra Gardens, with their flock of marching flamingoes. No, not making that up. The Gardens are privately owned, and include other birds and animals plus beautiful tropical plants.

When I was in Nassau years ago, my friends and I took a catamaran cruise around nearby Paradise Island - we stopped on the island's beach briefly, then sailed back to the dock in downtown Nassau. Wonderful experience to run before the wind, and the beach had lots of tiny, colorful shells, free for the taking.

I think there may still be daily parades downtown - check it out. Good photo op, if so, with the striking uniforms of the local constabulary. Good shopping, too, expecially for British imports plus local crafts at the nearby Straw Market.

Try conch chowder and other local dishes, and see if you can find a steel band or two to listen to. Food prices are high here, as almost everything is imported. But if you stay with seafood and local dishes, costs can be less. Check out beans and rice - great with conch chowder!

Will you be staying downtown or farther out? Cable Beach is lined with resort hotels and both the beach and ocean are a lot cleaner than beaches closer to Nassau. It's a pretty oceanside drive into town - you can take a jitney (a small bus) back and forth if you stay in one of the Cable Beach hotels, and see some of the local scenery. There are also taxicabs, which can take you anywhere but which cost more than the jitneys.

I'm making myself envious. Gotta get back, once of these days...

Old 02-29-2016, 01:07 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,628,906 times
I agree with papa, I'd see about booking something on one of the outer islands. Exuma and Eleuthera are great options for a "tropical paradise" sort of feel.

OP - you said the husband loves the beach but what do you like to do?

Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 PM

I like to explore local culture, explore the city and lives of people in that region.

We will be staying in paradise island, no not at Atlantis but cheaper one. What's the best transportation to go around Nassau from paradise island. Can I take the jittney from there? Is it safe if I want to explore on my own without hubby?

I would love to go to outer island but for our first trip it might be better to do "normal touristy things"

Old 03-02-2016, 06:36 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,278,867 times
Now for the bad news............

Nassau has a huge crime problem, and much of it is focused on tourists. Street robberies and purse snatching are daily events. Last year, 2015, Nassau had over 100 murders, and gunfire is common at all hours of the day and night.

The Bahamas Government is both corrupt AND incompetent . The Police are poorly trained and prone to laziness.

How do I know this ? My Wife was born in Nassau, and three of her siblings still live there. We visit at least one a year, from our home in Canada. She talks via SKYPE to her family weekly and she reads both the Nassau Tribune and the Nassau Guardian newspapers, on line, every day.

When we are in Nassau we don't go out after 6 pm, and we only drive in the day time. Why ? Personal safety. My brother in law runs a food import business, which supplies many of the hotels, golf clubs and stores in the city. They stopped accepting cash payments, because of being robbed by gun men 4 times in 2014. Now the customers pay by cheque or credit card.

Many of the retail stores on Bay Street hire off duty Police to sit at the front door with a shot gun, or a hidden pistol, to scare away the thieves.

As I said, the bad news is that for a city with 100,000 people, the crime rate in Nassau is sky high, and only getting worse.

Jim B.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,309,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I like to explore local culture, explore the city and lives of people in that region.

We will be staying in paradise island, no not at Atlantis but cheaper one. What's the best transportation to go around Nassau from paradise island. Can I take the jittney from there? Is it safe if I want to explore on my own without hubby?

I would love to go to outer island but for our first trip it might be better to do "normal touristy things"

Remember that Eleuthera is just 50 miles from Nassau, and its soooooo muchhhhh better. Don't forget too that Eleuthera is not that remote (like the SE Bahamas is on the other hand) and that there are plenty of first time Bahamas travelers who visit the civilized out islands.

Don't want to twist your arm, but of all the people I know who have been to the Bahamas, and decided on a "near" out island, NONE have regretted their decision.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,628,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Remember that Eleuthera is just 50 miles from Nassau, and its soooooo muchhhhh better. Don't forget too that Eleuthera is not that remote (like the SE Bahamas is on the other hand) and that there are plenty of first time Bahamas travelers who visit the civilized out islands.

Don't want to twist your arm, but of all the people I know who have been to the Bahamas, and decided on a "near" out island, NONE have regretted their decision.
And I don't know of one that raved about Nassau at all either. Unfortunately many people relate only Nassau to the Bahamas so if they have a bad experience there (see the post from the Canadian above, scary stuff) they assume there's nothing else to see in the Bahamas at all when they really just missed the best parts! Good luck with your trip, I'm sure you'll have fun either way, just heed the advice provided, use common sense and it'll be fine most likely.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

What is the best way to travel to near by island? Only via flying? How early do I need to book?. Since we already have our hotel booked in paradise island, I would love to see other island for a day or for one night.

Thanks for the info

Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,379,951 times
Get a guidebook on the Bahamas...read it, and you will find out all you need to know. You do know that the Bahamas are NOT Caribbean islands....they are in the Atlantic....

For your next trip, pick a Caribbean island...much nicer all around!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel